What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Road -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Road from Sony and director John Hillcoat is a dark, brooding film that takes us to places we might rather not visit. This may be a major reason for its box office performance.

Keep in mind that this is a production that fits neatly into the art film mold with the film making its run of the festival circuit. Strong direction, terrific acting and an extremely impressive blend of the real and digital worlds, as brought to the screen by cinematographer Javier Aguirresarobe. The Road was photographed in Super 35 and finished in 2k, which means that what you're seeing on your screen via this Blu-ray disc, should replicate the intentions of the filmmakers.

A quality production that is definitely worth a rental. It is something that should be seen, preferably after anything sharp has been locked away.

RAH

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
... yes, lock away the sharp objects and then swallow the key before you watch.

What a depressed and depressing story. I've followed the writing career of Cormac MacCarthy ever since Blood Meridian in 1985. He is a brilliant brilliant man who deserves all the accolades he receives. But The Road is a book I'll never visit again. It's too good at what it does. Ashes to ashes indeed. I couldn't connect with the film version. I left after the first act. The changes are no improvement and are not necessary, and the "feel" of the film is different. I found myself resisting it. Viggo Mortenson was the right choice for the part, however.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I'd say the opposite. The film perfectly captured the textures and mood of the book in a way that made it even more heartbreaking and terrifying. I have read the book twice and it devastated me both times. I needed to sit in the theater for 5 minutes after the credits rolled before I could leave.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The book was the most amazing thing I read last year. Both in tone and the relationship between The Man and The Boy. I never got a chance to see this in theaters but will be picking up the disk for sure, already knowing that I am likely to be very disappointed. I recommend the book heartily, and recommend No country for old men too, the book was better than the Coen's excellent film.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im one of the few who liked the movie better than the book. Because of McCarthys detached style of writing I found the film to be much more emotional and rewarding experience.

My favorite movie from last year, I was really looking foward to the Bluray.

According to HDDigest it has EE and the pic is quite soft.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

The book was the most amazing thing I read last year. Both in tone and the relationship between The Man and The Boy. I never got a chance to see this in theaters but will be picking up the disk for sure, already knowing that I am likely to be very disappointed.

I just finished this book at about 1:30 this morning! Powerful, indeed.

I wasn't even aware (until everyone that saw me carrying the book told me) that a film had been made of the book and am now quite curious about it.

Based on what Jon posts above, maybe I'll be pleased. Although I usually find the books to be more satisfying than the films. But that's as subjective as something can get...and not an absolute.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
Like Mike, I often find I enjoy the reading experience more than watching a film adapted from a book I've read. I'm glad I haven't yet read the book in question since so many people, including some in this thread, have praised it so much. However I did see The Road theatrically and I was impressed by the acting. It was a welcome change, a film with beautiful cinematography, quiet and subdued even though the story is about the end of the world.

Mike, I would agree with RAH that this film is definitely worth at least a rental on Blu-Ray, even if you may end up liking the book more than the film. Viggo Mortensen's performance is very good. Personally, I will be adding this film, as well as Eastern Promises (which I also saw theatrically) to my Blu-Ray collection once a good deal can be found on these titles.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Guess I'll watch this tonight after the Hockey game.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ugh I actually watched the whole and diidnt feel like a movie afterwards.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'll probably give this a rent too (w/ potential to buy later).

Never read the book, but read about the film thru Roger Ebert's review (on an occasional visit to his site just when the film was coming out a while back).

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by PaulDA

Just finished it.

Was a great movie and a shame more poeple didn't get to see it at the movies.

Before Lord of the Rings who really expected that Viggo Mortenson was such a good actor.

This movie might continues to confirm.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I just noticed this trivia on imdb.

"John Hillcoat filmed the soft-drink vending-machine scene with Man and Boy several times, each with a different brand beverage, out of concern that Coca-Cola executives would not want their product to appear in the motion picture. A telephone call from Viggo Mortensen to the president of Coca-Cola secured permission for a can of Coca-Cola to appear, consistent with the source novel."

Why would Coke want their product to be kept out of the movie?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I knew he was. He was terrific in a lot of smaller and indie films long before he made the LoTR trilogy. Hell, he was even really good in LEATHERFACE.

Vincent

Originally Posted by TonyD

Just finished it.

Was a great movie and a shame more poeple didn't get to see it at the movies.

Before Lord of the Rings who really expected that Viggo Mortenson was such a good actor.

This movie might continues to confirm.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to pick this up.

It will be thrilling to see an end of the world movie WITHOUT zombies!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks