What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Right Stuff -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No. I get what you're saying.

And I understand that there are many here who think I probably won't be able to tell the difference between the two versions. But since I wasn't overwhelmed by the audio when I spun the disc up earlier this year, it's just an unsettled question for me as to whether I just not "getting it" or I don't "have it." :biggrin:

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Robert Crawford said:
I wouldn't make that assumption based on what I stated. I still have the 48K disc as Warner didn't want it back so I kept it for some strange reason and I couldn't tell them apart visually, but the equipment I listed did differentiate the 48K versus the 98K discs.
Did you do a side by side listening comparison of the two discs?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dr Griffin said:
Did you do a side by side listening comparison of the two discs?
I did for a while, but I couldn't really tell any difference. By the time I got down to my main HT with my Paradigm Studios, I was done comparing and just decided to watch the rest of the 96K disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
...and just decided to watch the rest of the 96K disc.
That happened to me this weekend when I was doing an audio demo of House of Flying Daggers. Got sucked in and ended up watching the entire flick.

Same thing with The Dark Knight! Next thing I knew I was a couple hours in! :biggrin:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
That happened to me this weekend when I was doing an audio demo of House of Flying Daggers. Got sucked in and ended up watching the entire flick.

Same thing with The Dark Knight! Next thing I knew I was a couple hours in! :biggrin:
It's probably going to happen with me again when I view Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon again. :D I always love the part when Michelle Yeoh is chasing Zhang Ziyi with the sound of those drums picking up the pace of the chase.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
I was so excited to receive the 96KHz disc. But I have to admit that I could not hear a difference and I didn't think the overall sound quality was all that great anyway.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
zoetmb said:
I was so excited to receive the 96KHz disc. But I have to admit that I could not hear a difference and I didn't think the overall sound quality was all that great anyway.
Yes, it is very "of its time", but I appreciate the technology, and think future releases should try to keep up with it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
Honestly Mike, other than idle curiosity, I don't see why you care. Out of all the hundreds of Blu-ray discs I own, only 2 are 96kHz, and honestly I can't tell the difference. I doubt that very many people can. My Right Stuff is only 48kHz and I won't bother to get an exchange.
I still have the 48KHz and really I didn't hear any big deal of difference expect my cat that has hearing range 100Khz and he only gave me blank stare.

So only two films are 96KHz.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
The sound quality of the Blu-Ray of "The Right Stuff" might not be up to modern demo standards, but the qualities of that sound are as brilliant and imaginative as the other aspects of the movie. That said, I didn't really hear a difference, though my dog probably did.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
I believe in releasing in the best format possible, even if 90 percent of the audience cannot play, see or understand what they have. Always exceed expectations. Never diminish.RAH
That's why I'm looking forward to 4K BD. :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So...

I spent some quality time with my new receiver today (Denon AVR X-2000). Found a control on the front panel not controllable by the remote. Simple little thing called "status."

So guess what it told me about my copy of The Right Stuff (assuming I'm reading it right, that is)?

gallery_286742_34_583956.jpg

1.) I'm not sure what "fs" means...but I gotta figure that's what that means. Right?

2.) I've still got a lot more to figure out about this new receiver. Some day I'll be hooking up the receiver to my network. THAT should be interesting!

3.) Maybe next week, I'll send an e-mail to Sherri Bogard and see if 96kHz copies are still available.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mike Frezon said:
3.) Maybe next week, I'll send an e-mail to Sherri Bogard and see if 96kHz copies are still available.
They definitely should be - I finally got around to asking for a replacement just before Christmas, and it arrived last week. It was my first time having to contact her about any sort of exchange and she was very helpful, and the customer service was fantastic!

andySu

Senior HTF Member
The Right Stuff (1983) Dolby TrueHD Dialog Norm +4db, 5.1 (fs 96KHz) frequency sampling

10388143_10152970464945149_309891562919940005_n.jpg

1800451_10152970467275149_832444943048926075_n.jpg

10885506_10152970467705149_5656598067439910678_n.jpg

10689946_10152970467910149_1231482238168343959_n.jpg

10885511_10152970701655149_2129635235610763277_n.jpg

The DVD R2 has the speed-up and is a few -db less then bluray DolbyTrueHD DN +4db.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not certain, but this may be more complex. I have yet to get my hands on a copy of Right Stuff at 96k. Question is, will a disc created with Dolby's 48 to 96k uprez technology give a readout of 48, 96 or something else? Is RS actual 96k or using Dolby's proprietary process?RAH

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
Not certain, but this may be more complex. I have yet to get my hands on a copy of Right Stuff at 96k. Question is, will a disc created with Dolby's 48 to 96k uprez technology give a readout of 48, 96 or something else? Is RS actual 96k or using Dolby's proprietary process?RAH
Is it possible to falsify the encoding to tell the AVR what ever it wants to read?

My point is its an old film and maybe the studio is trying to get large numbers of the disc sold. Conspiracy, possible. I still have the 48Khz and it sounds like same film mix as the 96KHz. I have to get the Warner laserdisc pressing again as that was just as good. The mix sounds same to the SE DVD I have. I have noticed with bluray a contrast boast where some colours white and blue almost end up as cyan green, its faintly visible when the capsule, is brought into the hangar. I mean Spacecraft. The windows in the background look a bit to bright on some shots where maybe the sun is around on some sides of the hangar and the transfer looks a bit bright where window frames are a bit washed out.

Keep your eye on the windows. I bet if you saw that in 35mm or 70mm you won't see that sick colour. Ever done watercolor painting and you know what happens when two colours are mixed together they create a third colour.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Glad to find this thread, I too saw the film on release in 70mm at the Northpoint Theater in San Fran. I mayve gone twice. I can recall that the opening wind, distant pounding sound (a metaphor for the advance of the future IMHO, echoing the sound of the rockets shuddering as the fuel warmed, as described by the astronauts to Tom Wolfe), finally erupting in the main title, and the sounds over Levon Helm's narration ending with a crash,... was thrilling.

Then there's that moment when Pamela Reed is in the house at Edwards, the sound of the pipes in the house when she turns a faucet on, then the distant thud of a crash and the walls shake.... Really detailed and evocative sound mix in this film. VHS and DVD just didnt do the film justice IMHO.

I'll have to go home and see what I've got, I THINK it had a gold seal on it. My Yamaha RX-V775 will tell me what the PCM stream contains.

For those wondering what the big deal about the sound mix is (was it Walter Murch?), there are a few scenes in the movie that really should exercise a HT and immerse you. Oh, sure the rocket launch scenes (and the montage of failures after the intermission which came right after John and Annie Glenn are having a quiet intimate chat, and you discover her stutter) are going to wow you. I'm thinking the time when Yeager comes upon the X1 while riding his horse. There's the thundering and banshee-screaming of the plane's engine, with a slowly rising musical cue leaking in, building to a sort of fanfare. There's the moment when he and his buddy are in the B29, and sunlight shifts across the X1 in the drop bay, there's a screech of music or something to add drama. Oh, and the entry into the Cow Palace (subbing for a Texas stadium) of the astronauts while Yeager is walking around the F100(?).

In the theater, in 6-track, there were some amazing moments of thoughtful sound design that really put you into the film. I listened to the BD on my home system and heard some of that. So regardless of your system, you should really have the best possible soundtrack. There are times in the film when that soundtrack stream has got to be packed to the gills.

Can anyone tell me in what post # I'll find instructions for exchanging a disc if I've got one of the "inferior" ones? I'd rather not scan every page of the thread.... Thanks!

andySu said:
Is it possible to falsify the encoding to tell the AVR what ever it wants to read?

My point is its an old film and maybe the studio is trying to get large numbers of the disc sold. Conspiracy, possible. I still have the 48Khz and it sounds like same film mix as the 96KHz. I have to get the Warner laserdisc pressing again as that was just as good. The mix sounds same to the SE DVD I have. ....

Keep your eye on the windows. I bet if you saw that in 35mm or 70mm you won't see that sick colour. Ever done watercolor painting and you know what happens when two colours are mixed together they create a third colour.
I don't know about "faking out" an AVR, but my Panasonic BDT210 player has a "playback information display" that shows all the details ... encoding, HDMI export (e.g. 24p, 480p), audio encoding, stream size, etc. I can post a pic of mine when I get home ... check if your player offers it.

Got it.

davidmatychuk said:

Posted Today, 06:14 PM

Josh Steinberg, on 13 Dec 2014 - 5:34 PM, said:

[email protected]

Just contact the great Sherri Bogard and your problem will be solved. Hey, this is entirely the wrong thread! I'm putting this over there now.
I checked last night, my player only shows a Dolby 1.2Mbps stream, but my AVR clearly indicated a 48Khz sampling rate. Player is sending straight without any downsampling. So ... sent Sherri an e-mail with a pic of my disc and back cover for proof of purchase.

g4qCtw3.jpg

BTW, for those thinking you can listen to both discs and hear a difference, I sincerely think you wouldn't. If I'm not mistaken, the sampling rate will provide more information in the digital audio stream, providing the amplifier with more to work with in any post-processing. Since some of the scenes have some very full and complex audio information, I would conclude that though you couldn't hear a difference, the overall audio performance will be better due to the AVR having more precise information on all the frequencies.

From the Dolby white paper:

The sophisticated filtering and upsampling provided by the Dolby[emoji768] TrueHD Encoder to generate 96 kHz material during content creation minimizes the computational demands that would ordinarily be associated with incorporating this technology into a hardware product such as a Blu-rayTM player or A/V receiver.

The resulting 96 kHz content enables optimum performance from downstream connected A/V receivers equipped with 96 kHz digital-to-analog converters, enabling them to operate at their maximum efficiencies.

Content created with Dolby’s advanced 96k upsampling feature is fully playback compatible on all Blu-ray devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks