What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Right Stuff -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Posted Today, 06:14 PM
Josh Steinberg, on 13 Dec 2014 - 5:34 PM, said:
Josh Steinberg said:
Hey David, do you know how one goes about getting the replacement? I got my copy a little late, but if there's a better version available, I might as well have it.
[email protected]

Just contact the great Sherri Bogard and your problem will be solved. Hey, this is entirely the wrong thread! I'm putting this over there now.

I'm importing this from the "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D" thread, along with this picture of me in my "The Right Stuff" team jersey (apparently) from there.

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 47

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well since I ordered my copy of The Right Stuff with my pre-order for The Sure Thing, looks like I won't get it till early April. Had to order extra blus to get free shipping (might as well put the shipping $$ toward more blus.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
I watched this film--for the first time ever--Friday night.

Enjoyed it immensely. What a strong cast.

I still don't know if I have the 96k audio version or not...but found the audio to be nothing spectacular.
That quote was from back in May.

This past week--besides new speakers--I also installed a new Denon receiver (AVR X-2000). I figured I might finally solve the mystery as to which version of The Right Stuff I might have. But...nope. Still no audio display as to which soundtrack I have: 48kHz or 96kHz. I guess it's my Blu player which is the weak link here in this particular instance. It's a Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD.

I suppose I could just assume it's the 48kHz and do a disc swap with WB...

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Mike Frezon said:

This past week--besides new speakers--I also installed a new Denon receiver (AVR X-2000). I figured I might finally solve the mystery as to which version of The Right Stuff I might have. But...nope. Still no audio display as to which soundtrack I have: 48kHz or 96kHz. I guess it's my Blu player which is the weak link here in this particular instance. It's a Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD.

Try out some Sony Blu-Ray players at Best Buy?

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Are there any 70mm prints still round? Luckily I saw it in 70mm when it was originally released. It only lasted 2 weeks in 70mm as someone damaged the 70mm print. (In Sydney, Australia). It continued to play in 35mm after that. It was and still is, a masterpiece but it does not make my top 10 list of all time greats.Only one English language film appears in my top 10 list. It truly deserves a cinema re-release but not in the dreadful digital format.It has been many years since it had a 70mm re-issue. It is time for another.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
Try out some Sony Blu-Ray players at Best Buy?
I never would have even thought of that, David.

Hmmmm. My daughter's got a cheapo Blu player. Maybe it's a Sony. I'll have to check! :biggrin:

Darn it. I was just at her house today, too.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I just looked at my disc (which is reported as 96kHz by my player) to make sure it doesn't have any identification as a second printing or some such (which I'm sure we've all done earlier in this thread), and unfortunately there's not a clue.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:

Positively I'd say its the disc that needs replacing. Get the free replacement email Sherry at Warner.

I'm playing it now (again least end credits) as its catching theme. :)
It plays fine on two players Sony BDP-S550 and Phillps BDP7300 at 96kHz.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mine plays fine, too.

I just can't tell if I've got the 48kHz or 96kHz. My player just doesn't display that particular information.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mike Frezon said:
Mine plays fine, too.

I just can't tell if I've got the 48kHz or 96kHz. My player just doesn't display that particular information.
Honestly Mike, other than idle curiosity, I don't see why you care. Out of all the hundreds of Blu-ray discs I own, only 2 are 96kHz, and honestly I can't tell the difference. I doubt that very many people can. My Right Stuff is only 48kHz and I won't bother to get an exchange.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As I wrote earlier in the thread...I watched the disc earlier this year and was unimpressed by the audio. It was...just ok.

But people rave about the 96kHz. So, I'm left to wonder if I'm not hearing it because I don't have the "better" audio release.

That's it in a nutshell.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Mike Frezon said:
As I wrote earlier in the thread...I watched the disc earlier this year and was unimpressed by the audio. It was...just ok.

But people rave about the 96kHz. So, I'm left to wonder if I'm not hearing it because I don't have the "better" audio release.

That's it in a nutshell.
It just sounds even more like it was recorded 30 years ago. :lol:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The differences between 48 and 96k recordings will not be easily heard on anything but higher end systems. The original recordings must be of superior quality.There are also two means of accomplishing 96k playback. One is the Dolby system, which is an up-rez. The other is true 96k, harvested directly at the magnetic souce or recorded as such.As an example, My Fair Lady has been harvested from the original 6-track fullcoat 35mm mags at 96k, and taken to Blu-ray in 96k.I have auditioned both 48 as well as 96k on my system, and differences come to the fore with thoughtful listening. It is however, not akin to the difference between DVD and BD, especially as the 48 is from a 96 source.Differences are extremely system dependent, subtle, as well as being synced to the abilities of the listener.As I recall, the 96k audio stream on MFL runs around 12GB. CBS supported going full-on 96.It's a wonderful way of understanding how incredibly good fifty year-old Todd-AO format tracks could be.RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Robert Harris said:
Differences are extremely system dependent, subtle, as well as being synced to the abilities of the listener.
There are also imagined and real differences. The real ones can survive a double blind test, the others can't.
And then there is the question if real differences are actually due to the sampling rate difference or due to other differences in the recording and playback chain.
And which version is actually more accurate and close to the "original".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:

That's it in a nutshell.
Mike,

Out of curiosity and because that's what guys like us do when it comes to this HT hobby, I decided to play this disc on my three different HT setups I have at home. In my computer/office room, neither of my two (Samsung & LG) BD players could tell me if I was playing the 96K disc. However, my Onkyo 818 receiver did give me that information. In my bedroom HT, my Oppo 93 BD player indicated the 96K along with the bite rate while my spare Panny 220 BD player couldn't do the same. However, my Onkyo 929 receiver could give me that 96K information.

In my main HT setup, my Oppo 103 BD player gave me the same information as the Oppo 93. My spare Panny 500 BD player could only give me the bite rate. While my Onkyo 3010 receiver did show me the 96K information.

After sampling and listening to this disc for 3 hours or so, I don't understand how you're not impressed by the audio of this title. From the time I first viewed this film in an almost empty movie theater in Champaign, Illinois back in 1983, and over the years, the various video formats I've viewed it since then, the audio presentation of this film has always impressed me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's what makes me think I might just have the 48kHz version.

I'm going to have to find another Blu player that will let me know. I've got a couple of Panasonic machines I know of in my circles. They likely won't help. But I think my daughter might have a Sony. I'm going to try the disc out at her house soon.

I was really hoping the new Denon receiver would tell me. But unless I'm missing something...

Robert. Thanks for all that legwork.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mark:

Any of the Blu releases should be a 96k release.

The gold sticker was on the cellophane wrap...so it's not an official part of the cover art.

Unfortunately, some of the early pressings escaped without the 96k...even though it was a widely heralded selling point.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
That's what makes me think I might just have the 48kHz version.

I'm going to have to find another Blu player that will let me know. I've got a couple of Panasonic machines I know of in my circles. They likely won't help. But I think my daughter might have a Sony. I'm going to try the disc out at her house soon.

I was really hoping the new Denon receiver would tell me. But unless I'm missing something...

Robert. Thanks for all that legwork.
I wouldn't make that assumption based on what I stated. I still have the 48K disc as Warner didn't want it back so I kept it for some strange reason and I couldn't tell them apart visually, but the equipment I listed did differentiate the 48K versus the 98K discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks