What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Right Stuff -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
Ms. Bogard deserves very high praise! Sent her an email on Friday, 02/07 and received reply first thing Monday morning. Wednesday, I had both The Right Stuff and The Bishop's Wife replacement discs in my hand. Pay attention Disney, Fox, and Paramount Customer Care. Warner is doing it so right! Thank you again Sherri Bogard!!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
marshman1138 said:
Ms. Bogard deserves very high praise! Sent her an email on Friday, 02/07 and received reply first thing Monday morning. Wednesday, I had both The Right Stuff and The Bishop's Wife replacement discs in my hand. Pay attention Disney, Fox, and Paramount Customer Care. Warner is doing it so right! Thank you again Sherri Bogard!!!!
Well, it looks like I have to send her another email as I haven't received mine yet and she responded to me on 02-04-14.

Jeff F.

Second Unit
I've emailed her twice and haven't received a response over the past week. Hopefully, since my address is in my signature, she received my emails and I'll find a replacement in the mail.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received my replacement disc today and viewed it in its entirety. The video and audio presentations were excellent.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I received my replacement disc yesterday. Great Customer Service. I wish other entertainment companies were as responsive. Thanks again to Sherri Bogard.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I purchased this title today. Is there any way I can tell I have a corrected version? Have corrected copies shown up in stores?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
When I select "Info" on my Sony Blu-Ray player, the on-screen audio readout says "1: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1ch 96kHz". The original disc said "48kHz". Also, my Yamaha amplifier's "Signal Info: Audio" on-screen readout says "FORMAT Dolby TrueHD. SAMPLING 96kHz", instead of "48kHz". If you can access such info on your equipment, you'll be able to tell right away.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Is this audio issue being re-released in new copies, or are only the fortunate "in the know" going to get this disc via studio replacement?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched this film--for the first time ever--Friday night.

Enjoyed it immensely. What a strong cast.

I still don't know if I have the 96k audio version or not...but found the audio to be nothing spectacular.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
When I select "Info" on my Sony Blu-Ray player, the on-screen audio readout says "1: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1ch 96kHz". The original disc said "48kHz". Also, my Yamaha amplifier's "Signal Info: Audio" on-screen readout says "FORMAT Dolby TrueHD. SAMPLING 96kHz", instead of "48kHz". If you can access such info on your equipment, you'll be able to tell right away.
Well this is what I'm seeing on the Onkyo TH SR-875.
Bluray players Phillips BDP7300 and Sony BDP-S550 now playing THE RIGHT STUFF "70mm six-track Dolby Stereo Digital TrueHD," I think that sounds. :P

"I, for one, do not intend to go to sleep by light of Communist moon"
"Get that moron off of there!"

"You mean for this space race you don't want our best pilots?"

"I didn't say that. We want the best pilots that we can get."

"Hey." "Y'all want some whiskey?"

"No, thanks, Fred." "Just a little coffee."
-"I'd like a Coca-Cola".
-"Coke?"
"Mm-hm, In a clean glass."

"Hey, Hot Dog, what the hell's "astronaut" mean anyway?"
"Star voyager."
"Star voyager Gus Grissom." Yeah, I kinder like the sound of that."

The film has suspense thrills and humour and memorable, Bill Conti, score.
The Dolby mix is fantastic. Bought a Hi-Fi VHS rental years ago as after renting and saw it for sale later on, I still have the VHS, Once owned Laserdisc letterbox W/S pressing and sold it, d'oh years ago for the DVD first edition, then gave it to my dad a few years later when there was special edition DVD release that I still have but don't play no more expect for the extras. The bluray I have is just bare bones as I didn't want to spend the extra for extras that are more less the same as the SE DVD. Plus bonus more extras on youtube about the space race and all.

TRS1.jpg

TRS2.jpg

I'll check the settings on BDP-S550. (edit) Checked settings and set at 24/96Khz.

TRS3.jpg

TRS4.jpg

Colour shifting from red to pinkish.
Bar scene Chapter 23, 1hr.31 mins onwards for short while. Not sure if this is software or actual issue on the disc or again software of the AVC as I noticed many discs are encoded with different video coding and I have noticed the annoying colour shifting on STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS. I forget if its AVC or whatever but its annoying to watching blue colour shirts turning turquoise.

10255271_10152454451230149_6781291024816117951_o.jpg

10255751_10152454451350149_1991239769465912281_o.jpg

[color=rgb(20,24,35);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:12px;background-color:rgb(246,247,248);]Chapter 36 fantastic. Holst the planets. Now that was such a good chosen bit of classical music put to the film, on John Glen, flight into space. [/color]

The phasey shifts across the LCR and into the stereo surrounds makes me put my hand up around near my ears while shaking my head. I like it. Feels great.

Sounds cool when Glen is activating the space craft with switches being switched on, stages left and right. Then looking upwards at the window, "whew" hope this flies.The the sudden BURST of the rockets engaging and the hod down bolt arms released letting her fly. The first stage separation gives me a jolt that rocks me back in the rocker seat.

Liked when the Bill Conti, score takes over at 2:30:02 gives the scene some grace as Glen whooshes around the Earth, at 17,500MPH.

10257373_10152454501070149_7715175455135157428_o.jpg

Are movies Too Loud? The Right Stuff is mentioned as one of those being loud.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.206.1435&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Reading about Dolby TrueHD 96kHz

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/Dolby%20TrueHD_Lossless_Audio_Performance.PDF.pdf

And here

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/Dolby_TrueHD_Encoder_WhitePaper_web.pdf

I came across this thread and I agree with the comments. Its marketing. I hate to know what it can do to STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS that was shockingly far too loud at 24/48KHz, if not ruined the film, along with all the lens flares.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/314602-dolby-truehd-with-advanced-96k-upsampling-first-impressions/

THE RIGHT STUFF sounds fine as it is. Maybe a bluray vs 70mm Dolby print side by side in cinema to see what it shows up on test gear as the surrounds? Was the 70mm released with stereo surrounds or mono surrounds? As the early DVD release is same with stereo surrounds. Most 70mm Dolby prints only small handful had stereo surrounds released on them. So was this remixed late '90's.

If re-mixed it was done very well as I have heard worst ones on "Blue Thunder" and "2010" that has very bad remixing that sounds like it was processed with PLII movie mode.

Its one of the conspiracies that's on my mind. :P

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I think what you have there is the original, non-96 kHz audio Blu-Ray. The readout on your Sony player says "48 kHz", and the readout on my Sony player (the BDP-S770) will only read "96 kHz" when I'm playing the replacement disc. The original disc read "48 kHz", just like your disc does, not that I heard (or hear) any real difference on my setup. Both discs sounded great.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Your display says the picture is 1080/60i. Does your TV not do 1080p/24? That's what's on the disc and will look the best if your set can do it.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
moovtune said:
Your display says the picture is 1080/60i. Does your TV not do 1080p/24? That's what's on the disc and will look the best if your set can do it.
I use Sony CRT 28" for the main screen so to speck and the video projector max is 1080i and rarely used.

Why does having the other settings on Sony BDP-S550 make a difference here?

andySu

Senior HTF Member
davidmatychuk said:
I think what you have there is the original, non-96 kHz audio Blu-Ray. The readout on your Sony player says "48 kHz", and the readout on my Sony player (the BDP-S770) will only read "96 kHz" when I'm playing the replacement disc. The original disc read "48 kHz", just like your disc does, not that I heard (or hear) any real difference on my setup. Both discs sounded great.
I see. I emailed Warner Bros, asking about replacement discs not had a reply yet.
Also my pressing of THE RIGHT STUFF is UK, so would that be the case here as I guess yours region Free USA, looking at your avatar.

Well like Ridley, said in THE RIGHT STUFF, "You might be right." I might just have the first edition release and now I'm with the Foxy Mulder, (on the conspiracies) as this replacement disc comes out what? So few weeks or months later? A0nd I trust its FREE since I have already paid once.

As for you think the discs or colour is fine there is some boasting as the scene in the hangar where the spacecraft is rolled out the windows or light behind it all didn't look "film tone like". I don't have early DVD pressing my dad has that now, But I did notice boasting on the SE DVD region 2 and same with bluray.

I bet if the bluray was projected on the same screen with 35mm or 70mm at same time, scale down the image throw so both can be seen at same time on same screen. The film print will win.

Its an okay transfer I have seen far, far worse. If I had working VHS Hi-Fi player I'd look at the VHS and I'm not comparing HD lines 2k 4k or 900 billion k, I'm looking to see if the coverall tone of brightness is film like or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks