What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Return of the Vampire - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those seeking to corner the market and collect every vampire film, or at least every vampire production featuring Bela Lugosi, Scream Factory has made the task easier, with their release of the 1943 Columbia film, The Return of the Vampire.

In typically Columbia fashion, it's a quality affair.

Since making a name for himself in the original 1931 Universal classic, he worked his way to M-G-M, for the 1935 Mark of the Vampire, in which he plays Count Mora. Are they always titled?

Returning to Universal, he in played more than 200 various characters in the monster extravaganzas, inclusive of Francis the Talking Mule meets Ma and Pa Kettle. In 1935 he was Armand Tesla, a Dracula clone in the above mentioned film. And then back to Uni for Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, for which he again did his Dracula, strangely aging, while vampires usually do not.

Suffice to say that this new Blu will delight those seeking vampiric thrills, if not for the overall quality of the film, at least for the quality of the image harvest and audio, which are both excellent. The film has not received the full restoration treatment, but will more than do for a B horror thriller.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - totally

RAH

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Now that I have the Blu-ray and I have watched twice with 2 of the Commentaries (as I still have to simply watch the movie),
I decided to compare the image to the old DVD.
Well, no comparison --
This new release is a major upgrade.
Not reference quality, but many miles above the old DVD (which now seems like a constant storm of dirt and debris compared to the Shout Factory Blu-ray).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks