What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Rare Breed - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Between 1950, and his final appearance on film in 1980, James Stewart starred in some very high quality westerns - almost 20 of them.

While the best known, were probably for John Ford or Anthony Mann, there were others.

The Rare Breed, with Andrew McLaglen at the helm, was released in 1966, and is definitely second tier product. Even with Mr. Stewart and Maureen O'Hara in the leads.

This one is for the Stewart completist, and those folks won't have any problems with the quality of Kino's new Blu-ray from Universal. Shot in Panavision, and with gorgeous color, and a beautiful overall image, it's top product.

The last great one, which I'd love to see Paramount release, is The Shootist, 1976.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I thought the color here is the poster child for what color of that era should look like. For contrast, watch Madigan, which should have that kind of color, despite begin gritty and urban, but which is a pasty brown mess.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
I'm happy this one looks good. It's non-essential but still fun. I was afraid all of these were just going to be cleanups of the DVD masters like most of the German BDs are and Bend of the River was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks