What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Quiet Man -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Masters of Cinema UK is releasing The Quiet Man on Blu on 23 Nov 15 (Region B)

No word yet on whether it will use the same transfer as Olive. The press blurb at Blu-ray.com includes as follows:

[Gorgeous 1080p restoration of the film on Blu-ray, years in the making
New and exclusive video essay on the film by Ford expert and scholar Tag Gallagher
The Making of THE QUIET MAN documentary
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
36-page booklet featuring the words of Ford, writing on the film, rare archival imagery, and MORE!]

Olive, please take note: Subtitles!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 66

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RMajidi said:
Masters of Cinema UK is releasing The Quiet Man on Blu on 23 Nov 15 (Region B)
No word yet on whether it will use the same transfer as Olive. The press blurb at Blu-ray.com includes as follows:
[Gorgeous 1080p restoration of the film on Blu-ray, years in the making
New and exclusive video essay on the film by Ford expert and scholar Tag Gallagher
The Making of THE QUIET MAN documentary
Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
36-page booklet featuring the words of Ford, writing on the film, rare archival imagery, and MORE!]
Olive, please take note: Subtitles!
Doubtful, and a pity.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
It's funny -- I don't think that's quite the same frame. Look at John Wayne's chin and mouth.

If this one is a lot better I may have to double dip.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Yes, it's not the same frame, but you don't need the exact same frame to see that the problems of the previous release are solved here.

By the way, I got those screenshots from the DVDbeaver review:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_58/the_quiet_man_blu-ray.htm

here, these look the exact same frames since you like:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_58/the_quiet_man_blu-ray_/large/large_the_quiet_man_blu-ray_06.jpg

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_70/the_quiet_man_blu-ray_/large/large_tghe_quiet_man_06_blu-ray.jpg

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Same transfer with better compression perhaps?

I love this film so much that I pre-ordered my double-dip Masters of Cinema Blu on no more than a hope that it might turn out better than the Olive.

Still hopeful!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RMajidi said:
Same transfer with better compression perhaps?

I love this film so much that I pre-ordered my double-dip Masters of Cinema Blu on no more than a hope that it might turn out better than the Olive.

Still hopeful!
Same here, did it a couple of weeks ago when I order Shane.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Based on the screenshots, I would say it's definitely the same scan. However there has been some tweaking of the colors and black levels. In my opinion the difference is not enough to warrant a double dip, which is moot for me anyway because I'm not region-fluid.

Sgt Pepper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Barry
Mark-P said:
Based on the screenshots, I would say it's definitely the same scan. However there has been some tweaking of the colors and black levels. In my opinion the difference is not enough to warrant a double dip, which is moot for me anyway because I'm not region-fluid.

You jest surely, it's like night and day?

jra66

Agent
Real Name
Jason Ader
I had imported the Italian release, and I'd like to see this new release compared to it. The Italian release was also on a Dual Layer BD at almost 40GB. I'm guessing it would fall in between the two.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
The MoC disc has completely remastered the encode from the 4K and there are a litany of improvements over the Olive in things like black level, depth, grain management, color saturation, gradation, and of course the bad macrobocking in the older encode. It now looks more like relatively true 50s Technicolor and doesn't have the "pushed" and gray backcoated look of the Olive. The differences may not be so pronounced to casual viewers but I think readers on this forum will find them enough to justify a double dip. I have. To add icing it has a wonderful 17 minute video essay on the film by Ford scholar and friend Tag Gallagher amongst the extras.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
david hare said:
The MoC disc has completely remastered the encode from the 4K and there are a litany of improvements over the Olive in things like black level, depth, grain management, color saturation, gradation, and of course the bad macrobocking in the older encode. It now looks more like relatively true 50s Technicolor and doesn't have the "pushed" and gray backcoated look of the Olive. The differences may not be so pronounced to casual viewers but I think readers on this forum will find them enough to justify a double dip. I have. To add icing it has a wonderful 17 minute video essay on the film by Ford scholar and friend Tag Gallagher amongst the extras.
Sounds good to me. Too bad for those "casual viewers".

Reactions: PMF

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Not seeing an edit button on my post above - was going to correct a typo - what happened?

Note: The edit button is on this post - but NOT the one above.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
haineshisway said:
Not seeing an edit button on my post above - was going to correct a typo - what happened?

Note: The edit button is on this post - but NOT the one above.
I think there's a 24-hour window to edit a post before it's locked permanently. Judging by the timing of your posts, I'd say you just missed that window by an hour. "It's worth the try", no doubt?

Can't wait for my copy to arrive, and am also looking forward to reading your appraisal here.

[Edit: Wow, I see the typo has been magically corrected. You must have friends in high places!]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks