What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Quiet Man -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I finally got around to watching this last night on my 70" Sharp LCD. No blacks at all -everything was extremely washed out. I didn't touch my usual contrast setting, but lowered my brightness from -2 to -12 in order to continue watching. The only other title I've had to adjust so extremely for because of washed out, overdone brightness levels was "Restless".

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
gee my friend said it was great,The fact that the dvd was so poor might make one think that this is "Great" I haven't got mine yet ,and I only have a 35inch set,so it might look better on a smaller set

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Peter Neski
gee my friend said it was great,The fact that the dvd was so poor might make one think that this is "Great" I haven't got mine yet ,and I only have a 35inch set,so it might look
better on a smaller set
It will look fine on your set.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
It will look fine on your set.
Will it? I could see if it was EE or something, but bunk washed out colour looks like bunk washed out colour regardless of size no?
I haven't got my copy yet, I'm just not expecting much.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I think some of the brightness is natural given the sunny, on location shooting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Russell G
Will it? I could see if it was EE or something, but bunk washed out colour looks like bunk washed out colour regardless of size no?
I haven't got my copy yet, I'm just not expecting much.
As I stated beforehand, I'm happy with this BD. Sure, it could've had more vibrant colors and better blacks, but it's far from being one of my worse looking BD's in my collection.. If you're not happy when you see your BD then perhaps, your standards are higher than mine. If you're not expecting much, why even spend the money?
Crawdaddy

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Robert Harris said:
Yes, Indiscreet does, but for other reasons. Another word I'll add to the new look of The Quiet Man is "brittle." RAH
Does this mean I should not purchase this release of The Quiet Man? I hate purchasing releases that are not all that they can be.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Lromero1396 said:
Does this mean I should not purchase this release of The Quiet Man? I hate purchasing releases that are not all that they can be.
Yes, that's how I would characterise myself. In front of my display, I stand with my jaw dangling, and I am - to use that cliché - seeing it as if anew. No, not perfect. But perfectly enjoyable, perfectly wonderful, wondrous that this Ford masterpiece has been rescued after so long in video limbo, decades of TV showings that have been murky and 'orrible. I am gob-smacked. Yet I still ache that it wasn't Criterion with their hands on the tiller. (Buy it BTW. Buy it now).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, it looks generally decent on my 46" Sony, but I do see issues. The image tends toward yellow-green a number of times, which distorts the flesh tones. But the exteriors looks pretty awesome to me. I saw a super 8mm print of this back in the 70's that memory tells me looked gorgeous, with sumptuous color values (especially greens) including accurate flesh tones. Every video release since then (until this one) has been insufferable. The current Olive release is, as many have stated, good, but not nearly perfect. I'll take it.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
One problem that effects all these older Color Films including the Searchers is that what was shot inside in the studio never matches the location shots when it comes to Picture Q

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One problem that effects all these older Color Films including the Searchers is that what was shot inside in the studio never matches the location shots when it
comes to Picture Q
Why not?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Well from what I seen of the Searches,She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and The Quiet Man . The shots inside the studio look a step down to me,The reasons for this I would guess is the slow film stocks(?) It makes those Fake Locations shots in Quiet Man stand out even more, I never liked these to start with But in B&W they are a little less noticeable She Wore a Yellow Ribbon has this too,

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Well from what I seen of the Searches,She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and The Quiet Man . The shots inside the studio look a step down to me,The reasons for this I would guess is the slow film stocks(?)
It makes those Fake Locations shots in Quiet Man stand out even more, I never liked these to start with
But in B&W they are a little less noticeable
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon has this too,
Both interiors, as well as exteriors are lit. There was only one film stock.
RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You don't agree they stand out??
I agree with virtually nothing. What are you viewing? What media. What size screen?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
so on your set ,the scenes in the Quiet Man where they jump from live locations to in studio ,you don't notice more grain and other reasons the Picture doesn't look as good, I do on my 34inch

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
My wife's heart was broken when this originally came out on DVD, it looked so terrible she couldn't bear to watch it. This has always been one of her favorite movies aside from Meet Me In St. Louis. I'm hoping this new Blu Ray will make a good Valentine's day present!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks