What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If Daniel Day-Lewis felt the need to retire, then that is altogether his own business.
But what a crying shame it was that he did so before working with Meryl Streep.
Even better, had it been a project under the direction of Steven Spielberg.
Not since the possibilities of Marlon Brando, David Lean and "Nostromo" have such things been left to ones imagination.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If only Marlon Brando (Guys and Dolls) was still around to have sung some tunes with Streep in a sequel to Mamma Mia (a la Pierce Brosnan in the original).

Oh. What might have been.

zoetmb

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brooks
That’s the info I had available. One would save 25% on raw stock and processing.

A couple of decades ago, I recall a proposed new high quality 1.85, that would have used the entire frame (as opposed to matted), and project an anamorphic 1.85 image.

IMDB estimates the budget at $50 million. Probably an almost equal number for marketing. Is film stock cost really a factor? I bet the catering budget was possibly more than the 25% of the film/processing budget.

What was the size of the projected frame in your proposal? If the gate was .825 x .6, it would have needed a 1.345x anamorphic lens to result in 1.85. Even if you used the larger 0.868 x 0.631", it still would have needed a 1.345x. Seems like an odd size.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Shooting S35 at 4-perf with an image height less than 1.66:1 would be wasteful, and 3-perf S35 shooting has been standard operating procedure for some time now [the Kill Bills, for example, were shot 3-perf]. As for cost to the bottom line, I can't comment on the cost of raw stock and processing, but economies of scale being what they are, I can't imagine that with the considerably reduced number of film labs operating these days that processing is cheap, as it's a niche market.

If .868 is perf to perf, that would be problematic, as you would still need somewhere to put digital timecode or an analogue track for backup.

Bobster

Grip
Real Name
Robert
There were rumors that footage was shot of the Black & White Ball (that Truman Capote gave for Ms Graham) and that it would show up as cut footage on this. Any truth to that?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Shooting S35 at 4-perf with an image height less than 1.66:1 would be wasteful, and 3-perf S35 shooting has been standard operating procedure for some time now [the Kill Bills, for example, were shot 3-perf]. As for cost to the bottom line, I can't comment on the cost of raw stock and processing, but economies of scale being what they are, I can't imagine that with the considerably reduced number of film labs operating these days that processing is cheap, as it's a niche market.

If .868 is perf to perf, that would be problematic, as you would still need somewhere to put digital timecode or an analogue track for backup.

One also has a 25% longer film load, ie more takes per 1000 ft camera load.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks