What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Ox-Bow Incident -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
William Wellman's 1943 Ox-Bow Incident is an important film, from any number of perspectives.

The packaging denotes a new 4k restoration, but I'm not seeing that on the final Blu-ray. The reason? Not a clue.

The release has just acceptable black levels, with a clean overall palette, and decent shadow detail, but the release never looks great. One must presume that the original negative is long gone.

Ox-Bow is an important addition to any serious cinephiles library, and Kino Lorber's offering is more than acceptable toward that purpose.

Image - 3.25

Audio - 4

4k Up-rez - 3

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My 8th grade Civics teacher said he used to show this film as an introduction to the chapter on Justice. He said he was not able to because another teacher "ruined the print. We wrote back to the 20th Century Fox Film Company. And they said they did not have any prints either and would not be able to replace it."

I'm sure it was more like "we're not going to make one print in 16mm." I believe the film was was available for rental from third parties anyway.

I was able to see it later on the Studio Classics DVD but the print used did not seem as crisp as others in the Studio Classics series.

Ordered though B&N!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Totally inexcusable that there are no subtitles. Major fail on Kino's part. TT provides SDH on virtually all of their titles. Given that Fox had existing SDH files on this title there is no reason the BD shouldn't either.

Thanks to RAH for his comments on the other aspects of this disc. Your comments are always anticipated and appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks