What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Myth of Dye Transfer Printing (1 Viewer)

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
Jack Theakston said:
If the base is yellowing, why is the silver soundtrack and its clear areas a perfect, neutral gray?
Why would a 35mm release print have Bell & Howell perfs?

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Technicolor printed their runs on BH stock for registration purposes because the standard KS perfs were too tall and caused lateral misregistration. They later switched to DH perforations.

Most prints in the US were KS after the early '20s, when Kodak settled on BH for negative and KS for positive stock. Pathe, German and British stocks still used something closer to BH perfs for their printing until the '40s.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thank you, Jack. It's good to get accurate information.

I'm still trying to get more data on nitrate yellowing. I've spoken with two professional film archivists who have worked in the field since the 1970's and the phenomenon is new to them as well.

ThadK

Second Unit
Of course it's new to people who've actually worked with nitrate film for over forty years. This is a new lie.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Bob Furmanek said:
Thank you, Jack. It's good to get accurate information. I'm still trying to get more data on nitrate yellowing. I've spoken with two professional film archivists who have worked in the field since the 1970's and the phenomenon is new to them as well.
Three. Acetate, yes.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Here is a study being done by Getty on yellowing and buckling of nitrate cel stock.
http://www.getty.edu/conservation/our_projects/science/plastics/plastics_component1.html

Another citation from Kodak that gives the reasons for the yellowing... escaping gasses.
http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Support/Technical_Information/Storage/storage_nitrate.htm

"Cellulose nitrate decomposition is the villain. It shrinks, even to the point of becoming unusable. Furthermore, as the film breaks down, it gives off nitric oxide, nitrogen dioxide, and other gases that yellow the film base, yellow and soften gelatin, and oxidize the silver image."

A frame from Melies' "A Trip To The Moon" that exhibits severe yellowing. (This isn't just tinting.)
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif;font-size:12px;]
RTEmagicC_renaissance-avant-2.jpg.jpg
[/color]

See the vertical column of photos illustrating the six levels of nitrate deterioration:
https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/5.-photographs/5.1-a-short-guide-to-film-base-photographic-materials-identification,-care,-and-duplication

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just added a few more references for you. The cel stock is the same basic material as the film base, just thinner. So oxidation happens faster with cels. But the progression of deterioration is basically the same as I understand it. Nitrate can change color a couple of times as it deteriorates. I've seen cels with just a little bit of "sweating" that have a greenish yellow tint. And ones with more deterioration turn an amber/orange color. Originally, I think the stock was quite clear and slightly cool tinted. It's a complicated issue for animation art restoration because the color of the paint on the back of the cel can be completely different than the color as it appears through the cel. Back when I was doing cel restoration full time, it was an issue I dealt with every time a pre acetate era cel came in for work.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The difference between people trying to save a cell, and a reel or sequence of a film, and how we view it, may come down to the point that as film, layers tend to stick one to the next, once deterioration takes hold.While there have been herculean efforts to piece together bits and pieces of the silent (or later) nitrate cinema, one archivist can spend months working toward saving and single animation cell, matching colors and mending the base.Possibly because I prefer not to be around rotting nitrate, which about as unpleasant as vinegared acetate, the majority of the nitrate film that I've handled has been crystal clear.RAH

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Not much that can be done about nitrate when it starts to go. You can only hope to slow down the deterioration. I've even seen nitrate that becomes water soluble when it gets really bad. When that happens, you are sunk.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I didn't see the soundtrack or leaders of the snow white print. I also don't know where that print came from or whether it was a release print or an NG print or whether the scan is representative. I can just say that that the single frame posted there doesn't look like any print of Snow White I've ever seen.

ThadK

Second Unit
I am thankful we have film experts like Mssrs. Harris, Furmanek, and Theakston to partake in the discussions here. To the average person, that squiggly line in a film frame scan is sure easy to miss!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks