What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Muppet Movie -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have no idea how many times I've seen The Muppet Movie. Virtually every screening on laserdisc. One of my son's favorites as a young 'un, 3 1/2 decades later, it stands the test of time beautifully.

This is a very special film. Charming, endearing, entertaining. And beautifully made.

My hat is off to the work by Mr. Henson, Mr. Oz and the entire Muppet gang, and to Disney for doing right by the film, and bringing it to Blu-ray with superior quality.

Gorgeous color, proper grain structure. Everything is in place for a perfect presentation.

For your kid, or the kid in you, The Muppet Movie is one of the greats.

A perfect Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So looking forward to watching this for the first time
in many, many years.

This is the absolute best Muppet film ever made and
nobody has been able to top it (though I did immensely
enjoy The Muppets).

Happy to read that Disney did a load of right with this one.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I just remember all those celebrities in their cameos--making the thing funnier by sheer force of their personalities alone. In the recent Muppet film, the celebrities were trying to be funny. That's the difference, I think.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have not seen this movie in years. In fact, it was probably when I was in high school. We used "The Rainbow Connection" as the music for our commencement address.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Can't tell from the screenshots, but have they done "The Disney" on this one and erased the arm rods and other traces of puppeteering?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robbie^Blackmon said:
Can't tell from the screenshots, but have they done "The Disney" on this one and erased the arm rods and other traces of puppeteering?
Puppets? Mr. Frog. Ms Piggy?Puppets?

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
It's not perfect if it is not the original theatrical version. I have read on other forums it is still the edited version.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Hasslein said:
It's not perfect if it is not the original theatrical version. I have read on other forums it is still the edited version.
What edited version?

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
There are several edits from the theatrical cut. The worst is the edited Rowlf song... Some try to say the extended version was only a UK home video release, but that is not true. I saw it in the theatre, and the Leonard Maltin book confirms the home video version is edited. Here is a link to youtube post of original cuts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/StephenTheLoon/search?query=muppet

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Wow. I doubted whether those extra lyrics to "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along," which are on the (now back-in-print) soundtrack, were ever part of the film, but there they are. I also had no idea they did a completely different arrangement for "Never Before, Never Again." Were these only for the UK release?

I take it the extra lyrics to "Movin' Right Along" were never in any version of the film.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Went and saw this with Mommy. We laughed so hard when Kermit was riding the bicycle, just something I'll never forget. :*) I really must buy this and watch it with her again sometime in spite of the edits.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Thanks Robert!

Great to know that this one looks great on blu ray.

Will be picking it up as soon as I can get to it!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As I pointed out in the review thread, this movie has a very annoying "Intermission mode" that comes on whenever you hit play. I had the misfortune of trying to answer a phone call while muppets suddenly started shouting on the screen.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Wayne_j said:
As I pointed out in the review thread, this movie has a very annoying "Intermission mode" that comes on whenever you hit play. I had the misfortune of trying to answer a phone call while muppets suddenly started shouting on the screen.
If it's like the Peter Pan Blu-Ray, that can be turned off via a selection in the discs's Set Up Menu. It's defaulted to be on.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I figured it out, I still think it is a very annoying feature to be set on by default. I actually went to the set up menu before watching the movie in case Disney pulled an "OZ the Great and Powerful" and defaulted to DD 2.0 for the soundtrack. I didn't even notice the intermission option.
Paul Penna said:
If it's like the Peter Pan Blu-Ray, that can be turned off via a selection in the discs's Set Up Menu. It's defaulted to be on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks