What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Miracle Worker -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please do not misread my comments.

The audio is in no way “unintelligible.”

It has the characteristic sibilance, and noise levels of being derived from the wrong element.

Many people will not notice the problem.

Which does not excuse the fact that it’s there.
I viewed my disc this morning in its entirety. If I didn't read your audio comments, I probably wouldn't have noticed any audio issues. However, with that said because I was paying real close attention to the audio, I did noticed some of the issues you mentioned, but it wasn't enough to take me out of watching this great film.

IMO, most people will be very happy with this release. Sure, it could have been better, but it's much improved over the MGM Vintage Classics DVD. What bothers me more is that this great film should have been released with an audio commentary.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I viewed my disc this morning in its entirety. If I didn't read your audio comments, I probably wouldn't have noticed any audio issues. However, with that said because I was paying real close attention to the audio, I did noticed some of the issues you mentioned, but it wasn't enough to take me out of watching this great film.

IMO, most people will be very happy with this release. Sure, it could have been better, but it's much improved over the MGM Vintage Classics DVD. What bothers me more is that this great film should have been released with an audio commentary.

My comments are generally based upon the concept of reality vs what something could or should have been as far as image and audio quality.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Opinion, and knowledge, possibly. Reality is what it is. May I ask what system you're using for audio?
As you stated in one of your prior posts, many people wouldn't even notice the issues.

As to my audio system I have a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup. I have a 3060 Yamaha receiver that powers my four Dolby Atmos "Klipsch" speakers while my "Outlaw" 7140 Amp powers the other seven "Paradigm Studio" speakers. My powered subs are "SVS" PC13-Ultra and "Polk" PSW-1200.

My audio system was calibrated in September by Jeff Meier, ISF Calibrator.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As you stated in one of your prior posts, many people wouldn't even notice the issues.

As to my audio system I have a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup. I have a 3060 Yamaha receiver that powers my four Dolby Atmos "Klipsch" speakers while my "Outlaw" 7140 Amp powers the other seven "Paradigm Studio" speakers. My powered subs are "SVS" PC13-Ultra and "Polk" PSW-1200.

My audio system was calibrated in September by Jeff Meier, ISF Calibrator.

You should be hearing everything with that system.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You should be hearing everything with that system.
I already stated I heard some audio issues you brought up. What else do you want me to say? Those issues just didn't take me out of the movie like they did you nor bother me as much as they did you.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched it tonight. The movie retains the power it's had all these years even through a fairly mediocre presentation. The video for me was superior to the audio, but both could and should have been more pristine. There were just enough specks and debris to make me notice their presence in the video, and I found too much hiss and noise in the audio, very evident during the quieter portions when Helen isn't rebelling about something.

And I agree with Crawdaddy. A film of this quality deserves a commentary or some kind of scholarly treatment (a video critique that Criterion is so fond of doing) to analyze its greatness.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched it tonight. The movie retains the power it's had all these years even through a fairly mediocre presentation. The video for me was superior to the audio, but both could and should have been more pristine. There were just enough specks and debris to make me notice their presence in the video, and I found too much hiss and noise in the audio, very evident during the quieter portions when Helen isn't rebelling about something.

And I agree with Crawdaddy. A film of this quality deserves a commentary or some kind of scholarly treatment (a video critique that Criterion is so fond of doing) to analyze its greatness.
So much to talk about besides the film. The Broadway play. The life of Helen Keller. One of the reasons why we were taught about Helen Keller in school besides her having an incredible life is that she was living in Easton, Connecticut just minutes from my school and home.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So much to talk about besides the film. The Broadway play. The life of Helen Keller. One of the reasons why we were taught about Helen Keller in school besides her having an incredible life is that she was living in Easton, Connecticut just minutes from my school and home.

Agreed. A major missed opportunity, which would have made a wonderful SE.

One of the attributes of WB, is their commitment to history. They’ve been banking interviews, audio and video, for many years.

Unfortunately, all of the major players attached to Miracle Worker are no longer with us, which means work and licensing of whatever might be extant elsewhere. Someone might have reached out to Ms Swenson, or Mr. Prine.

What else might be possible?

Interview authors, who may or may not be a vibrant addition. Family members discussing a filmmaker’s life, which can occasionally be of interest, if done well.

But those first person thoughts and memories, need to be researched, edited, and formed into a cohesive addition.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Speaking of The Miracle Worker yesterday I picked up at the library Douglass Daniel's book Anne Bancroft, A Life and already at chapter 3 and so far a good read. Have not seen this film but will check it out soon.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

I didn't know that you're from Connecticut. I get over to the Bridgeport area at least once a month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks