What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Meg -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Seemed fine to me in the theater. I had no issue suspending disbelief. I haven't watched at home yet, though. I will have to give it more scrutiny.

My only issue was that the size seemed to change depending on the scene. In some, the Meg was big enough to swallow a boat. In others, it was barely larger than a good sized Great White shark.

Hell, if I can still get a thrill from the giant mechanical turd with the jaw flapping like a screen door in Jaws, this seemed perfectly fine, IMO. And this is from someone who's watched a ton of shark films on SyFy, so I have seen lots of bad shark FX. :P

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
But at least Jaws had likeable, engaging, and competent actors in it and that sucked you into the whole story.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Agree 100%.

With the Meg I didn't give a crap about any of the characters, they all could have been eaten and I'd just sit back and chuckle.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Let’s not get carried away and start comparing Meg to Jaws.

That’s like comparing Jaws and Jaws The Revenge. :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Exactly. There are no pics of an actual Meg, so I'm not sure how anyone can say it looked horrible. It looks like a giant shark to me.

I guess I don't understand what people are looking for in FX. Every time someone is critical of FX in a film, it usually looks fine to me.
I’m with you. Many times I read complaints about the cgi that I think looks fine and there’s others saying it’s obviously bad. Oh well.

People are looking for suspension of disbelief. That's the whole point of a special effect like this - to make the audience believe that it's real. Of course, we know it ISN'T real, but we want to be fooled all the same. It's hard to care about anyone on-screen if you think they're being attacked and eaten by nothing more than a bunch of poorly animated pixels.
I think some of us are not looking for suspension of disbelief, they walk into the theater wanting to find problems. The internet makes everyone a film critic, so you gotta criticize.

Don’t get me wrong, Meg could have been a LOT better, but the fx were fine IMHO. I think Stratham (sp) leaves a lot to be desired acting-wise and the female lead, for whatever reason, was terrible. They’re supposed to be attracted to each other and that’s were I couldn’t suspend my disbelief.

The shark was the best performer in the movie.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Show me a big monster movie, if I like the big monster, I’m very likely to like the movie enough to buy it. I’ve been a sucker for dinosaurs that I can believe in (no men in suits or real lizards) and the same goes for big damn sharks.

DalekFlay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dane M.
I thought this UHD looked great, pure demo material. Someone earlier said the effects looked bad but I have to disagree. On UHD at least they looked pretty great, and the underwater stuff especially was a massive highlight. HDR can help CGI though, so maybe that happened here I don't know. In any case this is HDR demo material through and through.

Movie is silly fun I think. I seem to have a much higher tolerance for modern blockbusters than a lot of "old timers" like myself do, though.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The shark was the best performer in the movie.

And considering my opinion of the shark, that pretty much let's you know how I felt about the rest of it. ;) I love a big dumb monster movie as much as the next guy, but this one didn't make the cut for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks