What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got my copy yesterday, but haven't watch it yet. I've been falling behind on my disc watching while working on some home projects. I hope to be back to my regular viewing schedule this Memorial Day weekend.

I got lucky on the pricing as one day the price dropped at Amazon to $24.99 and after using some Amazon Reward points I got it under $20.00

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
This is sold out everywhere, even at this price. Did they release this in limited quantities? Or is this title that much in demand?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
This is sold out everywhere, even at this price. Did they release this in limited quantities? Or is this title that much in demand?
Well that is an encouraging sign for the format. Also noticed that the Christopher Nolan 4K Collection is currently available from third party sellers on Amazon at $100 more than the original selling price. If they are indeed selling, maybe this will encourage the studios to continue to support 4K physical discs.

https://www.amazon.com/Christopher-...&sr=8-1&keywords=christopher+nolan+4k+blu+ray

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I want to believe the format is selling well. But I’ve also seen major stores carrying less and less disc product, especially 4K. So often I’ll be there at store opening with just a few 4K discs out and the Best Buy manager says they didn’t get that many in stock, and Target’s even worse about having 4K in stock.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It does appear that there are far more 4K displays out there for sale right now than UltraHD players and discs. Whic is ironically the exact opposite of what happened with 3D.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It does appear that there are far more 4K displays out there for sale right now than UltraHD players and discs. Whic is ironically the exact opposite of what happened with 3D.

Well isn't 4K kind of the default on new TV's now, regardless of pysical media and player support? A 1080 tv is like trying to buy a laptop with Windows 7 on it, they just don't make them anymore.

But yeah the retail presence for 4K media sucks. I would have bought Black Panther in 4K when I was out shopping, but nobody had it on release day, so I ended up with the Blu. (4K would have just been future proofing for me, so it's not like I was hand wringing about only getting the blu, but still I would have bought it if it was available.)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I want to believe the format is selling well. But I’ve also seen major stores carrying less and less disc product, especially 4K. So often I’ll be there at store opening with just a few 4K discs out and the Best Buy manager says they didn’t get that many in stock, and Target’s even worse about having 4K in stock.
Targets around me have cut way back on their physical media. Best Buy typically has a decent 4K selection, but there's still a relatively small number of films released on the format. Walmart usually has the latest blockbusters on UHD, but not much else. I mean, the reality is that the market for physical media is shrinking. DVD was pretty much as big as it will ever get. I'm loading up on Blu-rays and 4K discs for now, but I'm sadly aware that the good old days are gone for those of us who prefer to own films on physical media.

I feel like if we end up in a Mad Max situation, I'll be the guy hiding out in a cave in a loincloth with a necklace strung with DVD's and a TV and player hooked up to a steam-powered generator, saying, "For a jug of water, you can watch the flickies from the before-fore time. Shiny stories have I."

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My Walmart has a small section of 4K catalog titles (probably about 30-35 on one endcap). I haven't checked for The Matrix, but they had the recent 4K of Die Hard.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Well isn't 4K kind of the default on new TV's now, regardless of pysical media and player support? A 1080 tv is like trying to buy a laptop with Windows 7 on it, they just don't make them anymore.

Sure they do. I just bought a new Samsung 49-inch 1080p smart display for our South Carolina condo back in April. We rent the place out when we are not using it, and there is only basic HD cable and an inexpensive BD player for sources. I wasn't about to spend more money for a 4K display for a rental unit, but I wanted something larger than the 32-inch display that we had since we are spending more time down there now that I'm retired. The display was $300, and there were quite a few other options available to select from at Best Buy and Walmart.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I couldn't find this locally so I ordered from Barnes and noble. $33 -15% coupon and free shipping came to $28.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I hadn't watched my Blu-ray in many years, so today I watched this on Blu-ray upconverted to 4K on my OLED, and I have to say I was more than happy with the image quality I saw, so I won't myself be upgrading. Now, if some friend wants to gift me this on 4K, I'd gladly accept it, but I'll hold my money for films I don't already have in perfectly fine transfers.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Let me just add to the praise regarding this release (price issue, aside). The audio and video quality are top notch. I don't know enough about what the theatrical color was (I did see it in the theater but 19 years is a long time for accurate recall), but this disc on its own merits looks outstanding.

I will say the Atmos mix is aggressive and loud. Usually I run Atmos mixes at 53db on my receiver (Last Jedi is closer to 57db). This one I have to dial down to 47db or else I risk disturbing the neighbors.

I watched this film a lot in the early 2000s but it's probably been a decade since I last saw it. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it has held up for me nearly 20 years later.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also I just realized that the speech that Mr. Anderson's boss gives him at the beginning of the film is eerily similar to the one that Bob Parr's boss gives him in The Incredibles. :rolling-smiley:

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I figured id find a better price as soon as I purchased it. Oh well, such is this hobby.

I was willing to pay $24.99 for die hard, and Amazon dropped the price on me. So if I apply that savings to the matrix it all balances out. And ill have this disc on the 30th, on Amazon its not even available until the 31st.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks