What's new

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
ANIMAL CRACKERS:
Are you referring to the re-issue from the early 70's?
If so, it would be hard to imagine anything from the 30's being censored, what with "R" rated films already established throughout the country. It'll be fun to see what that one-minute lends. And I'll bet it's a Groucho line, too.

One censored moment that's restored is a fanny slap.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Probably not too many members here will be surprised that when I was speaking to a young(ish)-sounding clerk at Barnes and Noble about this release, she asked me to verify that the surname involved was spelled:
M-A-R-K-S.
If she had had asked if they were related to Karl I would be less surprised but ...

As Costco didn't have this - I ordered thru the interwebs with the discount 'bout $35.00 with tax with the coupon code David provided :) 20% code F7V8H7U

Item Qty Price

Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection
1 $40.90
Sub Total: $40.90
Shipping & Processing: $0.00
Tax: $2.81
Discount: -$8.18
Total Price: $35.53

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
One might expect Abbott and Costello to be more of a priority for Universal. They were actually Universal stars rather than part of the purchased Paramount package.
I don't think their non-monster films already released on blurays did that well

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
So figured WB is watching the sales for this collection, sooooooo I ordered three additional today to give to friends in hopes that it will open WB eyes. Yes I know three more won't make a huge difference but I mean, get it to move a notch. Bring in the MGM Marx Bros.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That was exactly my thought. Universal floated a trial balloon for the boys with Buck Privates (along with their first monster meeting), but it must not have sold well since there were no follow-ups.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
But they only released Buck Privates and Meet Frankenstein not much of a test. These films need to be released in sets for increased sales. I don't think the Marx Brothers titles would sell that well if released individually for $20.00 each. Released in a set the Marx brothers films are a no brainer because of the low cost. Abbott and Costello sold very well on DVD in sets. WC Fields didn't sell that well so I can't imagine them even considering Fields on Blu Ray before Abbott and Costello. After all they did save the studio from Bankruptcy in the 40's.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
IMG_2828.JPG

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Third time buying these 5 movies.

Will buy the others if they show up on blu too.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have to my collection besides the older single releases and the older dvd box set the Criterion laserdisc of A Night At the Opera and two great documentaries on the boys The Marx Brothers in a Nutshell (1982) and The Unknown Marx Brothers (1993)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Why would you keep the DVDs etc. after you have upgraded?
In the words of Nat King Cole (et al) for Sentimental Reasons ...

4163741.jpg
also there are features not on the current bluray set oh and Warner Bros hasn't released their bluray set YET
images

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Third time buying these 5 movies.

Will buy the others if they show up on blu too.

I have owned each of those same sets, but sold each as I upgraded. Hopefully this is the last time I will be buying these films.

I would love to see the other Marx Brothers films in my collection get the same treatment as Universal gave these 5 films. The DVD's of A Night in Casablanca, A Day at the Races, and A Night at the Opera need a quality BD release.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I received my set yesterday. The package is very handsome, with a nice booklet and essay. I watched Monkey Business last night, and was very impressed with both the picture and sound quality. Well done!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"I should have mail it to the Marx Brothers."

I have to admit I'm of the uninitiated. I've seen clips of the Marx Brothers and I well know who they are. I've probably seen most of some of the films on TV as a kid. But I never got into them and I don't know the plots of any of the films. I was more exposed to The Three Stooges. And to a much lesser degree, Laurel and Hardy.

I'm very curious to sit and watch this set. So once I finish viewing Cary Grant's lessor known filmography, this could be one of the next series of films.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why would you keep the DVDs etc. after you have upgraded?
To loan. I don't loan stuff often but if I upgrade will usually loan the older copy. If it comes back damaged, or not at all, I don't feel as much anxiety. Of course if it *does* return in lesser condition than when it was loaned that person is off the "People I'll loan to" list.

PMBen

Agent
Real Name
Pablo Manzano
Are the original aspect ratios respected? I understand that the image in both Cocoanuts and Animal Crackers should be narrower than 1,33:1.

I understand that this won't make the films any funnier, but if we're talking about a restoration, it seems pointless to have the films cleaned up and then mutilate the framing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks