A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Martian (Extended / Dolby Atmos) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Martian was one of the earliest UHD 4k releases, back in March. As such, I found it wanting in only a single category, the lack of Dolby Atmos, which was the way it had been released theatrically.

With the new release of the "extended cut" of the film, that shortcoming has been addressed, and it holds great importance -- two fold.

Not only does it now allow us to decode the audio as designed, it also gives us the perfect test bed. At the switch of an amp button, to power down the front, side and surround channels, one can listen to, and examine in detail, the differences between the initial DTS-HD 7.1 mix vs Dolby Atmos.

The differences are both major and extremely discreet.

Most important, it becomes obvious that with Atmos, that the audio is pin-pointed precisely to the areas of the room where it was intended to be heard.

As an overall, in DTS, the front and side channels move to the height speakers, with audio bleed. Dialogue is virtually eliminated, but effects and dx from the sides wind up in heights.

With Atmos, everything is precise.

It's a very enlightening comparison, and I suggest that anyone who has the original Martian give it a try.

While the new edition has an extra ten minutes, I'll leave that for others to discuss.

The Martian is a superb film, and for me, the addition of Dolby Atmos would be enough for me to double dip.

RAH

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Hugh S.
Is this a record for a double dip so soon into a brand new (botched) formats launch? Does not surprise me at all.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Real Name
David Miller
If the price drops substantially I will double dip. :)

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I'm interested in picking up the extended cut on regular BD down the line, but I'm still quite happy with the theatrical version. And frankly, the new cover art is hideous, and barely looks like Matt Damon. The original poster/cover was much better.

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Jon Paul
Problem is that even though the film was shot natively in 3-D, the extended appears not to come in a 3-D version, which kinda sucks, as I really enjoyed it theatrically in 3-D. So this is clearly setting up a triple, or even quadruple dip.

Jeff Cooper

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Maybe not, the extended Avatar never got a 3D release, and that seems like it should be the most likely to get one, since it was such a huge tentpole for 3D.

Reactions: theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Jon Paul
Yeah, you're probably right. Still, I have to get the Extended as it is the only way to get the usual skid-load of Ridley extras.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
I viewed the 4K/UHD disc today and thought the video and audio presentations were outstanding. A while ago, I watched the 3-D disc of this film and will probably never watch it again as I will defer to the 4K/UHD disc for future viewings.

Reactions: PMF

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Reaction score
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I viewed the 4K/UHD disc today and thought the video and audio presentations were outstanding. A while ago, I watched the 3-D disc of this film and will probably never watch it again as I will defer to the 4K/UHD disc for future viewings.
I am a 3D nut, but I’m probably going the same direction you are. The film is beautiful in 4K and the Atmos really adds to the film.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frugalfart