A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Manchurian Candidate in HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist

Feb 8, 1999
    Robert Harris
    The Manchurian Candidate is less a re-make, and more retelling in different terms. While the main plot lines are kept basically intact, every else is different.

This is a quality film, with excellent performances, that comes off, one again, looking like film in Paramount's HD-DVD release.

Everything works correctly on a technical level in this DVD, which upholds the level of quality that Paramount has set for itself.

And I still believe they have the prettiest packaging in the marketplace.

2. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Nov 11, 2002
    I saw a demo of this title on Blu-Ray at Best Buy, and I was struck by the heavy grain of that transfer. I've only seen this once on SD, and never saw it in theaters, so is that grain normal? Is the HD-DVD transfer like this as well? It's not that I have a problem with intentional grain, it just seemed very distracting and not very film-like to my eyes.

It's a given that the demo I saw at BB wasn't a properly calibrated set, but I just wasn't impressed by it. I'd really like to see an eventual comparison between the HD and BD versions, as I believe that will go a long way in comparing the two formats as a whole.