What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Felix Feist may not be name that rolls off the tip of the tongue.

He spent the 1930s directing shorts of M-G-M, along with the occasional feature film - Deluge (1933). At the end of is career, he produced (and directed) various television programming from The Californians, Adventures in Paradise, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and Peyton Place.

Flicker Alley has released his 1950 noir, The Man Who Cheated Himself, which sports a superb cast, and was produced - we'll remove any confusion - not by Jack L. Warner of Warner Bros, but by his son, Jack M.

The film apparently spent decades in PD hell, but has now, under the good auspices of UCLA and The Film Noir Foundation, arrives via Flicker Alley in reasonably clean form, due to a UCLA restoration. Billed as 4k, but not sporting any 4k detail, which was never there in the first place, it makes for a quality Blu-ray of a production that hasn't been seen in any real quality in years.

Worthy of your time and funds.

Image - 3.75

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I caught this movie on Noir Alley with Eddie Muller of The Film Noir Foundation so it's on my wish list as I patiently wait for a more reasonable price. A good film with Lee J. Cobb playing the lead for perhaps the only time and Jane Wyatt playing against type.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yeah, I caught this movie on Noir Alley with Eddie Muller of The Film Noir Foundation so it's on my wish list as I patiently wait for a more reasonable price. A good film with Lee J. Cobb playing the lead for perhaps the only time and Jane Wyatt playing against type.

WAY against type

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
You got that right as I grew up watching her as the perfect mother on Father Knows Best.:)
Sorry,, she'll always be Mr. Spock's mommy to me ... :)
MV5BMjAyOTY1NTYwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTEyMTE1MDE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1329,1000_AL_[1].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks