What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The loss of the neighborhood movie theater (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Kevin, I think I remember seeing that one at several Edwards Cinemas down here in the OC, who also ran the LA Times infomercials back in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/318779/a-few-words-about-the-loss-of-the-neighborhood-movie-theater/60#post_3903228
As a parody, somebody once made a version of this called "The Production Assistant" which showed a guy running around getting people coffee. That one was never shown at a Mann Theatre...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Kevin EK said:
Two of the famous Westwood theaters are still going, now under the Regency flag:  The Village, and The Bruin, which are across the street from each other.  Back in the 1980s, we used to buy tickets at those places, preferably the Village as it was more than twice as big, and just next door was the WestWorld video game arcade.  There was even a pretty good comic book shop around the corner called Grafitti.  All of those places are long gone now.
I was shocked to see that of all the theaters that once existed in Westwood, now there is only the Village and the Bruin, along with two other, much smaller theaters (the Regent and the Billy Wilder theater).
It's hard for me to fathom that the National is gone, much less that the Avco Cinema Center has closed as well.  Avco was where the Star Wars movies always played.
The Mann Theatres website indicates the company has finally closed its doors.  Back in the 1980s, they really had the market on movies in Los Angeles.  Their trumpet fanfare was well known enough that it popped up in plays at my high school.  And they used to have a quick ad for the LA Times that would precede the previews, usually showing something about how the Times covered Hollywood with a quick snippet about "The Wardrobe Designer" or "The Special Effects Team".  As a parody, somebody once made a version of this called "The Production Assistant" which showed a guy running around getting people coffee.  That one was never shown at a Mann Theatre...
Sad to hear about the National. It was one of the theaters I "discovered" after moving to California in 1989. It was a great theater. I used to seek out Mann theaters, as they seemed to care about presentation more than the typical theater company. I'm glad to see that the Village is still around--quite a grand movie palace, maybe the best LA theater of them all.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The oldest movie theater in Orange County that is still in operation is the Lido in Newport Beach, CA, built in 1939, and has routinely been one of the venues for the Newport Beach Film Festival.

P1-0001.jpg

It's changed hands several times, previously run by Edwards, but when Regal decided not to renew their lease, thankfully Regency stepped in and upgraded the theater for RealD 3D.

The interior tends to freak out my wife, since the murals of sharks and other sea life on the walls glow in the dark.

5371986890_0d0c654842.jpg

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
One of my top movie-going experiences was seeing Apocalypse Now in 70mm at the Cinerama Dome during their 40th (?) anniversary celebration. Not only was this the first time I had finally seen this classic on a big screen, but I got an occasional audio commentary by none other than Roger Ebert, who was seated behind me.

Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/318779/a-few-words-about-the-loss-of-the-neighborhood-movie-theater/60#post_3902382
I remember going to see Close Encounters at the Cinerama Dome, as well as a revival of 2001 there around 1980. Still a mindblowing experience...

Real Name
Mark
Robert Harris said:
Egyptian.
Arclight.
Bridge.
The Aero Theater in Santa Monica came to mind with the mention of the Egyptian, as both are venues for the American Cinematheque.
For those in Los Angeles, there's also an organization called the Los Angeles Conservancy, "a nonprofit membership organization that works through education and advocacy to recognize, preserve, and revitalize the historic architectural and cultural resources of Los Angeles County." (from their website). A cousin of mine is a member, and one of their annual events is called "Last Remaining Seats," where they screen classic movie titles at renovated/restored movie palaces in the downtown LA area. It's a great time for lovers of historical LA architecture and lovers of cinema.
In light of the state of affairs brought up in this topic, I felt it was appropriate to give a little plug for the Los Angeles Conservancy. For more info, here are a couple links:
Los Angeles Conservancy's homepage:
http://www.laconservancy.org/index.php
Information on "Last Remaining Seats":
http://www.laconservancy.org/remaining/index.php

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Robert Harris said:
Egyptian. Arclight. Bridge. 
I live just over the hill from Hollywood. On a Friday night, I might as well live on the moon. Crowds and parking are impossible. When I was a kid growing up in Glendale, we would go to the Alex theater and park right behind it for free and walk on in. Trying to navigate parking around Hollywood theaters is like running the gauntlet, especially when they close down the boulevard. Plus, some of those you're mentioning are art houses, not regualr theaters.Neighborhood theaters are unpleasant. My theater in my home is more comfortable, has better picture and sound and is available whenever I want it with no problem parking. I may have to wait a couple of months for movies to come out on bluray, but that's fine. I've got lots to watch.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
The LA Conservancy is great. But downtown LA at night is as bad as Hollywood, just in different ways. Neighborhood theaters are the problem. They turned the beautiful theaters in Studio City and Sherman Oaks into shopping malls. The one in North Hollywood is a legitimate stage now. Glendale used to have at least six on Brand. Now there's a shoebox complex and the Alex is a fancy stage now. The rest of the theaters are in shopping malls, like the ones in Burbank. There is a reason that movie theater audiences are primarily young people. Tey go to cruise the crowds. Grownups won't put up with it.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Harris said:
Egyptian.
Arclight.
Bridge.
As the post was referring to remaining single screens, none of those three name qualifies. Bridge, (now Rave) and ArcLight are both plexes, Egyptian is both a twofer and a mess.
I would add the Vista to that list of surviving singles, (perfect place to see The Artist right now).

marsnkc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrew
41363769_Ritz.jpeg

The times they are a'changin'...........
Got my brother to take a pic of our local flea pit in Sandymount, Dublin. Now a Sikh mosque! I remember it being red-bricked, like the surrounding houses.
That place was literally bedlam on Saturday afternoons. No one kept to a seat for more than a few seconds. Even here, the ushers wore uniforms (with caps!), and they always had a burly guy to hold back us savages from rushing the doors.
(I never once heard it referred to by its given name, 'The Ritz'. Everyone called it 'The Shack').

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Theater owners announce that they are raising the price of 2D movies to cover the cost of 3D movies
http://boingboing.net/2012/03/24/theaters-will-charge-premium-o.html
I don't know about you, but stuff like this makes me furious. Theaters have shot themselves in the foot so many times, it's amazing they're still standing.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
bigshot said:
Theater owners announce that they are raising the price of 2D movies to cover the cost of 3D movies
http://boingboing.net/2012/03/24/theaters-will-charge-premium-o.html
I don't know about you, but stuff like this makes me furious. Theaters have shot themselves in the foot so many times, it's amazing they're still standing.
The way to put bodies in the seats is too lower the prices. Get the prices down to five dollars a head. Then every screening will fill almost to capacity if not sell out. There is more money to be made at lower prices with a larger audience than at higher prices with a smaller audience. Raising the prices is tantamount to suicide.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
This is like a gambler in Las Vegas doubling down at the 100 dollar table when they've already lost their shirt. Denial is a powerful thing...

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Well, phooey. I don't like the sound of that. If people want to see movies in 3D, then they should pay for the extra costs involved. Those seeing a 2D movies should not subsidize the 3D movies.
By the way, I like some movies in 3D. Hugo 3D was fantastic and I paid for the experience of seeing it in 3D and that is the way it should be.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Oh, sorry for getting off topic. I've been enjoying reading everyones memories of their neighborhood theater. I'm from a small town in South Georgia. We had a local cinema called The Strand. I remember seeing Help! there when I was a small kid as well as a Herman's Hermits movie. I also saw a Three Stooges movie there as well as many other movies. Those are just the ones I remember most. It closed up a long time ago and I don't remember much about it. The Strand was remodeled in a modern style and reopened maybe 20 years ago. I think I've been there once since the remodeling. Maybe I'll check it out next month when I go and visit my parents.
My hometown also has a drive-in. It's called, appropriately, the Jesup Drive-in. When I was in High-School (mid 70s), I'd go with my friends to see movies there. The one I remember most is Jaws. Man, that one scared us to death. Still one of my favorite movie going events as well as one of my favorite movies. Anyway, the drive-in in Jesup, Ga is still going strong. It has two screens and every night a double feature is shown on each screen. The movies they show are first run movies. The last time I was there we watched Bee Movie and Stardust. My daughter and her husband who live in a nearby town now go to this same drive-in that I use to go to all those years ago. They love going there. Who would've thought? Maybe I'll go to the drive-in with them next month when we're home.
I wonder which one I should go to, the drive-in or the local movie theater? Well, we'll see. :)

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Sad news. I just now looked up The Strand in Jesup, Ga to see what was playing and found out that it has been closed since 2009. I didn't even know! Wow.
I did find out that The Strand opened in 1924 and held 894 people. In 1988, it was remodeled and became a twin cinema. What a shame that it no longer is open.
Here's a link to more info about Strand.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/32026

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
While we're at it, I should plug my own theater, the Capitol in Rome, NY. If you are in the Central New York area, please come visit us!
1928 movie palace, complete with 1939 Art Moderne remodeling:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/843064/width/600/height/398
40 foot screen... the biggest in town!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/843069/width/600/height/450
1,788 seats... every one of them a great view of the stage and screen!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/843066/width/413/height/408
35mm projection with carbon arc illumination and variable speed for silent films... soon to also be augmented by 16mm and 70mm!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/843067/width/600/height/450
An original-installation, 3-manual, 10-rank Moller Theater Organ that is regularly maintained and played for both concerts and silent films! There are only four original-installation Mollers left in the country.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/image/id/843077/width/600/height/450
4003baae_airmenshow1.jpeg

And here's what we're running over the next several months (all 35mm):
  • April 21: A NIGHT TO REMEMBER (1958) - Commemorating the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.
  • May 5: UNDERWORLD (1927) - Von Sternberg's classic silent, accompanied on the Moller Theater organ by Bernie Anderson, Jr!
  • June 15: WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (1971) - the family classic presented in Technicolor!
  • July 27: Our annual Drive-In Double Feature - Featuring Drive-In favorites, THE MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD and JACK THE GIANT KILLER (presented in Technicolor).
  • October 27: A classic, 1958 horror double-feature: HORROR OF DRACULA and THE THING THAT COULDN'T DIE!
Also, be sure to check out our yearly cinephile film festival, CAPITOLFEST, now celebrating our Tenth festival. A $55 pass gets you three days of all-35mm silents and early talkies that aren't available ANYWHERE. All silents will be accompanied on the theater organ by Avery Tunningley, Bernie Anderson, Jr., and Dr. Philip C. Carli.
More information is available on our website: www.romecapitol.com

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh man. Beautiful. And Rome isn't THAT far away, that I shouldn't get up there a few times a year. Thanks for the reminder.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Jack runs a quality show at the Capitol - I saw last summer's drive-in double bill and it was a treat. Highly recommended if you're in the area.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks Jack, we try :)
Just got my spring line-up confirmed for the Lafayette, all 35mm. Saturday mornings at 11:30:
4/7 - PRIDE OF THE YANKEES starring Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright
4/14 – WHAT'S NEW, PUSSYCAT? (1965) starring Peter Sellers and Peter O'Toole
4/21 – MOULIN ROUGE (1952) starring Jose Ferrer and Zsa Zsa Gabor
4/28 – DEAD END (1937) starring Joel McCrea, Sylvia Sidney, Humphrey Bogart
5/5 – VERA CRUZ (1954) starring Gary Cooper and Burt Lancaster; presented in SuperScope!
5/12 – THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW (1944) starring Edward G. Robinson and Joan Bennett
http://www.bigscreenclassics.com/lafayette.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks