What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Extended Edition -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Merrick Gearing said:
For all these complaints about color tint I am really surprised that nobody has given props to how much better the Rivendell scenes look in the EE.
I did. The Rivendell scenes look much better on this release. On my DVD copy of the film, the Rivendell scenes look oversaturated after looking at the colour rebalancing on the BD. The scenes look much more natural and flesh tones are vastly improved.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
If you're going to do the whole beating a dead horse thing, at least add some movie flavor to it!
horsepunch5id.gif

Mark

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
And as clearly a fraud: watch how the rider pulls the right reign in sync with the suppose blow.

("During the filming of this scene, no animal was hurt.....")

'
Cees

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
And as clearly a fraud: watch how the rider pulls the right reign in sync with the suppose blow.

("During the filming of this scene, no animal was hurt.....")

'
Cees
Well i sure would hope no animal was harmed, unlike many an old Italian/Spanish production or Jesse James which led to the formation of the American Humane Association, that film is 1939 but is still cut in the UK because of animal cruelty. ( Having a horse jump to its death - disgusting if you like animals as i do )

EDIT: Some Additional Info From IMDB

In the scene where a wagon and its two horses go over the edge of a 75-foot cliff into the river below, the stuntman driving the wagon wasn't hurt, but the two horses were killed.

After the two horses that were blindfolded and forced to go over a cliff were killed, a new rule was enforced and later endorsed by The Humane Society of America in which strict standards were created to protect Animal Actors in which at the end of the movie and added to the credits listed as "No Animals Were Harmed or Injured in the Production of this Film...". Now all films involving any Animal Actors must have present a member representing The Humane Society of America to insure that all animals are treated humanly and given a safe environment in which to work.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder
( Having a horse jump to its death - disgusting if you like animals as i do )

For the same reason I hate that magician's trick where a (generally white) dove is made to disappear from the inside of a birdcage that has an elevated floor apparently too thin to hide a live bird.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Michael Cain (Cutter): "(1) The Pledge, (2) The Turn, (3) The Prestige".

Yes, that movie confirmed a long time suspicion of mine.

Cees

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
EDIT: Ok my info was a little off, the actual story is below, still quite bad in my book, that horse should have been re-homed or gone to a sanctuary, problems with legs is an excuse and a poor one, as for shock collars, yuck, and this is only the stories we get to hear about, i hope they are being more humane when making The Hobbit.

http://www.ahafilm.info/movies/moviereviews.phtml?fid=7368

• A horse named Moon was allegedly sent to slaughter after it was determined by a veterinarian that the horse had a non-specified problem with its front legs. AHA does not condone Production sending an animal to the slaughterhouse because it is not fit for work required by film production. AHA would recommend that the horse be returned to its owner, be adopted out as a pet or, if the condition proved to be critical, that the horse be humanely euthanized. AHA has requested further veterinary reports and documentation as to the reasons why the horse was determined to be unfit.

• AHA has reliable documentation supporting that three other horses died during the course of production. Two horses were euthanized after being examined by a veterinarian. One suffered from equine torsion, a common ailment in horses and one due to a cracked pelvis. Another horse died from a sudden heart attack. The history of each horse is unknown and AHA has no reports regarding observation or activity level and condition during filming. It remains unclear as to whether these deaths could have been avoided or were accidental occurrences. AHA has requested further veterinary reports and reports as to the degree of work each of the horses was required to do.

• Electric shock collars were used for at liberty training of two horses. AHA considers the general use of shock collars to be unacceptable. Since there are well-known skilled liberty trainers that do not use electric shock, any use of such a technique would rarely be approved and would require complete supervision. We do not have documentation of the supervision in this instance. Production has indicated that liberty training was begun at the onset of production, although the liberty scenes will not appear until the second and third films. Production states that only professional trainers used the shock collars.

Originally Posted by Cees Alons

For the same reason I hate that magician's trick where a (generally white) dove is made to disappear from the inside of a birdcage that has an elevated floor apparently too thin to hide a live bird.

Cees

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
And just when I thought there were no new off-topic directions this thread could possibly go...

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
A split-screen image of Merry. Left side of the image is from ROTK EE (flashback scene). Right side of the image is from FOTR EE. Both halves are from the just-released Blu-ray set. Ignoring the fact that the color of Merry's cloak has shifted from grey to green (and gotten much darker), look at Merry's vest!! It has magically changed from yellow to orange.
green.jpg

A publicity still photo of Merry:
tumblr_lk2pfsgv3W1qgutswo1_500.jpg

Mark

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Mark Booth
A split-screen image of Merry. Left side of the image is from ROTK EE (flashback scene). Right side of the image is from FOTR EE. Both halves are from the just-released Blu-ray set. Ignoring the fact that the color of Merry's cloak has shifted from grey to green (and gotten much darker), look at Merry's vest!! It has magically changed from yellow to orange.

That's a strange one. Are you sure someone didn't tamper w/ the color of the vest on that screencap? Don't really see how it can turn orange like that unless someone selectively chose to do that -- and it should have nothing to do w/ any overall tinting, especially a cyan/green one.

_Man_

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:

That's a strange one.  Are you sure someone didn't tamper w/ the color of the vest on that screencap?  Don't really see how it can turn orange like that unless someone selectively chose to do that -- and it should have nothing to do w/ any overall tinting, especially a cyan/green one.

_Man_

Over at another forum, a fellow posted screen captures from both movies. The vest is clearly yellow in one and clearly orange in the other. It was someone else that took the two separate images and combined them into the split-screen. Here are the two images:
FOTR EE: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/fotr6.jpg/
ROTK EE: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/405/rotk6.jpg/
As an experiment, I loaded the ROTK flashback image into Photoshop and applied the Hue/Saturation tool to the image. When I slid the Master Hue slider to about -30 in Photoshop, the color of Merry's vest had changed to about the same shade of orange seen in the FOTR image. And, quite interestingly, the color of Merry & Pippin's cloaks shifted from grey to green. (Surprise, surprise!)
I am NOT presuming or suggesting that that is all that got changed with the image during color grading. When I slid the Hue control to -30 the hobbit's faces turned a bit too magenta. But there definitely seems to be some correlation between changing the vest to orange and ending up with a green tint elsewhere in the image. The two seem to be linked.
If you have Photoshop, open up the ROTK image and try it for yourself.
Mark

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Are we still at it? Since you don't seem to be willing to start your own thread about the color grading in FOTR, I suppose my only choice is to block you. So be it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by dpippel
Are we still at it? Since you don't seem to be willing to start your own thread about the color grading in FOTR, I suppose my only choice is to block you. So be it.
Keep in mind, if you're happy with this release then you're ahead of Mark in your viewing pleasure of these films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
Ignorance is bliss, as they say.
Ignorance is the lack of knowledge, anyone reading this thread has been educated on the color situation so it's not "ignorance", it's more like some are bother by the color shift more than others. It's all in the eyes and the different HT displays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks