What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Longest Day -- in Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Saying that someone is "copping out" because they say it looks better than the previous DVD is making a hell of an assumption. It would be nice if these releases were recalled and redone to more closely mimic the original source. However, this phrase "That being said, I too doubt that any of theses recently lamented titles will see a re-release..." sums up why some are willing to live with what has been released to date.

If FOX does not intend to revisit this title any time soon, then what point would I be proving by not picking up this BD It, presently, is a better looking presentation than any of the previous DVDs. Am I "copping out" because I'm comparing one home video release to another? I don't think so.

Am I, personally, happy with what has been done to this film? No; however, the BD of this film looks better compared to previous incarnations of this film on home video. It is too bad that it doesn't look closer to the film; however, unless we somehow can convince FOX to recall and redo this film, it is the best reproduction we are going to see for the foreseeable future. FOX hasn't been listening to any of the concerns expressed on this forum in the recent past, so why would anyone expect them to start now?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Can we all agree that the "well, we're really not going to get anything better (at least for a long time), so we might as well accept this" thinking isn't really satisfying?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Frankly, I don't need to rationalize my purchase to anyone including myself. I bought the best home video presentation of this film currently available to me. I'm disappointed that it's not the best it possibly can be, but I am not about to "cut off my nose to spite my face" in this matter. If you don't like the fact that I bought this release despite its shortcomings then that's your problem. Furthermore, I see few people defending Fox and the rest of these studios, but have read countless criticism by most of us on this forum. Matter of fact, this forum's co-owner and some of the other forum's administrators will be approaching some of the studios regarding this issue this coming week during the EMA event. I know other internet sites aware of this problem will be doing the same with the hope in getting our voices heard and this problem corrected so that these HD presentations can look their very best for all of us.

We need to channel our anger, disappointment and frustration towards the studios and not other HT enthusiasts, who are just trying to enjoy their hobby and watch their favorite movies in the comfort of their homes.

Crawdaddy

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Amen, Robert. I'm not going to buy this release, but I'm not going to interfere with your right, or anyone else's, to buy it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I do not believe that these homogenized releases are going to survive in the marketplace.

My feeling is that most, if not all, will be "updated" and future pressings re-visited at the very least.

While I doubt a recall for all titles involved, as many consumers are happy with their purchases, there will probably be a replacement program, that if some restrain from making a purchase once they've read comments, will not amount to more than a couple of hundred units.

The situations now under discussion can be easily reversed.

There is a huge downside for Blu-ray in general if releases for the system do not have some modicum of standard when it comes to quality.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RAH,
Wouldn't Fox have to revisit this transfer/master again if the DNR is inherent in the transfer/master used for this release? If so, how expensive would that be if they had to do the transfer over again?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

That's the spirit ! Looking forward to hear back from you after the event, this should be interesting !

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert,

I would bet that there is a master somewhere that is pre-tainting...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If so then Fox needs to correct this situation, but I'm not confident that it will happen anytime soon.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Judging from my own experience with questioning Fox on their BR catalog pricing structure, I don't have any high expectations that Fox will rectify this situation any time soon. I hope Fox at least acknowledges a problem instead of giving them the "no comment" response I received last year to my pricing question.

Crawdaddy

Robert George

Screenwriter
To RAH,

Something I have been thinking about that perhaps you can offer an opinion on...

Fox does not do whatever was done to the transfer of The Longest Day to all their BD titles, or even most from my experience. The Longest Day was surely expected to be a very minor release on Blu-ray for the studio, yet the extra time and expense to "clean up" the master was (apparently) undertaken. What might have been the circumstances with either the source film element or the transfer of same that would have prompted the studio to do whatever they did?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I cannot believe that either Patton or Longest Day were "source element" issues. It may come down to the individual that followed the project through the system, or the vendor selected.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

While they might be snobbish with regard to their pricing I will say that the quality level of their recent DVD and Blu-Ray releases has mostly impressed me. To me they seem to take a lot of pride in their catalog titles, too, especially the big ones, and I hope their reaction at the EMA event will reflect this.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think that's why there is a bit of a backlash going on here.
Not to fan the flames...
just too (hopefully helpingly) point out:
This is a RAH "recommended" release that doesn't meet RAH's "personal set of preferences". Can you see where people might get confused/upset?

I for one would like too request an early update too your recommend titles list (like at the end of '07), cause I don't want to wait till the end of '08!
Thanks as always, for all the info.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
However, RAH's trained eyes are probably a lot less forgiving than most of ours which is why he recommended this title for others.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
TLD, precisely like Patton, looks fine on smaller displays, and that affects a great number of viewers.

Also, like Patton, it falls apart as film on larger displays.

Do I personally like the Blu-ray representation of TLD?

No. I think it's laughable.

Would I suggest someone with a small monitor not to view it?

Absolutely not.

Do I believe that it should ultimately be purchased?

I think, for those with smaller displays, it makes a nice rental.

RAH

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I very much was looking foward to owning The Longest Day, Patton and The Sand Pebbles. But I will put them off as if the image is effected by DNR that much then I do not want to own them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks