What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Lion King (re-dux) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I happened upon the 2019 live-action version of The classic animated film, The Lion King (I believe the final actually drawn), while testing out Disney's new streaming service, and came away impressed by both.

I'd had steered clear of the remake , as it seemed like a calculated money-grab by Disney, which it is, but the end result is quite wonderful.

For those unaware, there was an animated version of this film, followed by a number of lesser (read: money-grab) spin-offs.

That animated version was a spin-off of two other versions - a Broadway musical, strangely titled The Lion King, and a video game, also strangely titled The Lion King.

The latest version, directed by crowd-pleaser favorite, Jon Favreau, turns out to be quite a brilliant piece of work. What I'd not realized is that thousands of animals (there was apparently a bit of digital trickery involved, in duplicating said creatures) by arrangement with The Lofting Company, were gathered on location along with cinematographer Caleb Deschanel, and filmed in L.A., Africa and South America, with the folks from Lofting (having trained the animals to speak) working hand-in-hand with Mr. Favreau.

The final product is nothing less than astounding. And while one can occasionally tell the real creatures from their digital dupes, the film works perfectly.

This was the second outing for Favreau and Lofting, after The Jungle Book, also based upon a video game of the same name.

I recently read in Deadline, that the pair will be doing a live-action remake of Lassie, with Lofting currently training the slew of collies to mimic the words, "Timmy's fallen down the well."

Can't wait.

Once again, the only way to get Dolby Atmos, which is wonderful on this disc, is in 4k. For those who can only run Blu-ray, 7.1 will have to suffice.

The final work was apparently completed in 2k, so don't expect 4k resolution. The final result, however, is startlingly realistic - even the CGI creatures, which blend nicely.

My advice to parents
would be to start young children off with the original, the video game, and then move on to the two filmed versions.

Image – 5 (HDR) - plays nice with projectors

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I just watched the 3Der of this from Britain. The movie plot etc. aside, the 3D was basically meh. There are a few vistas etc, but not much else. It is almost a good video to show people who believe there was a conspiracy to undermine the format by making bland conversions, or perhaps even I am getting tired of 3D (!).

SFMike

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
I just watched the 3Der of this from Britain. The movie plot etc. aside, the 3D was basically meh. There are a few vistas etc, but not much else. It is almost a good video to show people who believe there was a conspiracy to undermine the format by making bland conversions, or perhaps even I am getting tired of 3D (!).
I actually quite liked the 3D on this title at the theater and on the imported disc. Don't worry, I think the coming depression will be the final nail in the home 3D coffin the distributors have been waiting for, just as it will be the end of the big theater chains too. Look what AMC is doing to Universal. https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/media/trolls-world-tour-universal-amc/index.html

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm curious to ask, Mr. Harris - you said you had run across The Lion King while checking out Disney+ - could you offer your opinion on what you saw streaming vs. the disc?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm curious to ask, Mr. Harris - you said you had run across The Lion King while checking out Disney+ - could you offer your opinion on what you saw streaming vs. the disc?
Both were fine. For someone with kids, Disney+ would seem to be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks