What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Law and Jake Wade -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Sturges' The Law and Jake Wade is a decent 1958, M-G-M western, that at it's base, is a western programmer, with typical good guys v bad guys ethics.

What raises it a step above, are Robert Taylor and Richard Widmark in the leads.

And then there's the sumptuous CinemaScope cinematography by the great Robert Surtees (Oklahoma!, Ben-Hur), shot on location.

Quality is typical of the Warner Archive, which means that it looks and sounds terrific.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Excellent, I'm looking forward to seeing this in HD. I have a few years worth of the old English film magazine, Films & Filming, & I was looking through the 58/59 issues to find a review of this, but nothing, & no UK release date on the IMDB, so this is one of those American films that never got a UK release, & no UK DVD release (& come to think of it, no Blu-ray release either!). It's the same with another Robert Taylor 'scope fifties western, The Last Hunt (hint to Warner). I'm buying this & Brigadoon, a couple of fifties 'scope films in most batches & it'll be no more complaints from me :)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Excellent, I'm looking forward to seeing this in HD. I have a few years worth of the old English film magazine, Films & Filming, & I was looking through the 58/59 issues to find a review of this, but nothing, & no UK release date on the IMDB, so this is one of those American films that never got a UK release, & no UK DVD release (& come to think of it, no Blu-ray release either!). It's the same with another Robert Taylor 'scope fifties western, The Last Hunt (hint to Warner). I'm buying this & Brigadoon, a couple of fifties 'scope films in most batches & it'll be no more complaints from me :)

It certainly did get a general release on the ABC circuit because, as I said on the other thread https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ade-1958-coming-from-wac.353789/#post-4516088 I saw it when first released. it was on the second half of a double-bill but I don't remember the title of the other film, which would have been the one I or my parents wanted to see. IMDB is useless for noting UK release dates.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Widmark at his best playing slimy characters and Taylor solid in his role. I have so many of Robert Taylor films in my collection. A very solid western that doesn't take long in its storytelling. Henry Silva was excellent in this film too.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It certainly did get a general release on the ABC circuit because, as I said on the other thread https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ade-1958-coming-from-wac.353789/#post-4516088 I saw it when first released. it was on the second half of a double-bill but I don't remember the title of the other film, which would have been the one I or my parents wanted to see. IMDB is useless for noting UK release dates.

Well okay, I'll give the mags another peruse, they list the general releases, see if I can see what the main feature was...& I see 'Bones' was in the cast.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well okay, I'll give the mags another peruse, they list the general releases, see if I can see what the main feature was...& I see 'Bones' was in the cast.

I've done a bit of research and see that TARZAN AND THE LOST SAFARI was shown with THE LAW AND JAKE WADE. That makes sense because I was keen on seeing that film (and the subsequent Gordon Scott TARZAN films). LOST SAFARI was shown in CinemaScope as well - although few posters for the film gave it a CinemaScope credit.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm delighted - and slightly relieved - that RAH has confirmed that The Law And Jake Wade looks superb on this new disc. The DVD is a bit feeble so I'll upgrade with relish. With haste too!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've done a bit of research and see that TARZAN AND THE LOST SAFARI was shown with THE LAW AND JAKE WADE. That makes sense because I was keen on seeing that film (and the subsequent Gordon Scott TARZAN films). LOST SAFARI was shown in CinemaScope as well - although few posters for the film gave it a CinemaScope credit.

Yup, spot on Douglas, I've found it, June 30th 1958, just as well I don't work anymore, with my dodgy research.

Sorry, back to The Law And Jake Wade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks