What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Last Stand -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Jee-woon Kim's The Last Stand is a fun, loud and violent film, which at least to me, plays a bit like an animated film.

Only with less character development.

Characters, dialogue and set-pieces are never more than they need to be in this traditional tale of a hard-working sheriff out to take revenge on cartoonish bad guys.

That's not to say that its not an enjoyable way to spend a little less than two hours.

The Blu-ray looks and sound terrific.  Shot on an Alexa, and taken through a 2k DI, the resultant disc looks as it should, and that's good.  Audio is especially nice in 7.1, with gunshots and various noises very accurately placed around the sound stage.

The bottom line here is that it's nice to have Mr. Schwarzenegger back in fighting shape.  One doesn't need to have the greatest of dialoge or deep thinking to have a good time at the movies.

This one had me thinking of c.1959 Hitchcock for obvious reasons.

Recommended.

RAH

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I did go see the film, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. It's far from revelatory, but it's a very decent way to turn your brain off for two hours. Schwarzenegger still has a commanding screen presence, and watching him kick ass and take names again--even at the age of 65--was a whole lot of fun.

I was pretty shocked to find that this did so badly. I think Lionsgate hurt the film by releasing it when they did, and their trailers made the film look more annoying than it actually was. I was expecting, for instance, to loathe Knoxville and Guzman's characters, but both of them were restrained enough. Still, Arnold's comeback movie should have sold itself, and I think it would have done a lot better if it came out in theatres now, instead of back in January.

I do hope his next films fare better, because I miss seeing these kinds of action films in the cinema.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks