What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Last of the Mohicans -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RobHam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob Hamilton
David_B_K said:
I'm kinda surprised to see the return of the 'it's too dark/no it's not' controversy re LOTM. I thought it too dark as well, and it is the only title that causes me to change an adjustment on my TV. I don't remember if the Blu-ray looks the way the film looked when I saw it in the theater; but I doubt there would have been a controversy if Mann were not such an inveterate post-release tweaker.
David - the reason from my perspective for this coming back up is that the same transfer was finally released in the UK on 26th Nov, and I only got to watch it for the first time on Friday night.
In the end, the only way I was able to watch it at calibration settings was with the Dynamic Contrast activated.
There are many low/natural light BD's out there (Outland, Interview with the Vampire etc), and I've found the best way to view these is via a darkened room - this was the first time I've had to use "gizmos" on the TV to compensate.
Interestingly RAH in his original post refers to "well tuned systems" - I'm left wondering if a new ISF-calibrated mid-range TV just 'aint cutting it when it comes to presenting this level of low-light information.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Vincent_P said:
And some of us disagree with you.
Vincent
And some will disagree with you. The disc is way too dark on my calibrated Kuro 60 inch monitor. To each their own.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen /t/304950/a-few-words-about-the-last-of-the-mohicans-in-blu-ray/30#post_4008198
And some will disagree with you. The disc is way too dark on my calibrated Kuro 60 inch monitor. To each their own.

I hope so as this back and forth is not getting us anywhere.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I would like to swap blu-rays with Vincent P and back again just to make sure they all look alike.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Paul Rossen said:
Exactly, to each their own. I think it's a gorgeous Blu-ray, and so does Robert Harris and Robert Crawford and others in this thread, while others disagree and think it's too dark.
Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
To Richard--W:
Why single me out? Why not ask to trade discs with others in this thread who think it looks great?
Vincent

Flemming Kristensen

Auditioning
Just got my projector cleaned (JVC X9, native contrast 1:100.000). Prism and all, and new lamp and saw this movie again.

This is probably one of the five most beautiful transfers I've seen. Being a foreigner, I almost always have english subtitles on. But being such a dark transfer, the white subtitles constantly gets my eyes flickering and I can't "get into the darkness". But having the subtitles off, my oh my, what fantastic scenes. Even in the darkest ones, it feels like being there. Sometimes just seeing pupils lighten up.

I've had visitors entering my room complaining about the transfer, but none doing so leaving again.

Dan_Shane

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan Shane
Flemming Kristensen said:
Just got my projector cleaned (JVC X9, native contrast 1:100.000). Prism and all, and new lamp and saw this movie again.

This is probably one of the five most beautiful transfers I've seen. Being a foreigner, I almost always have english subtitles on. But being such a dark transfer, the white subtitles constantly gets my eyes flickering and I can't "get into the darkness". But having the subtitles off, my oh my, what fantastic scenes. Even in the darkest ones, it feels like being there. Sometimes just seeing pupils lighten up.

I've had visitors entering my room complaining about the transfer, but none doing so leaving again.

Now you've done it. I know what I will be watching this weekend in a very dark room. I remember the first time I spun the disc my jaw dropped at the "you-are-there" quality of the natural lighting. Time to revisit one of my favorite and best-looking films.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Dan_Shane said:
I remember the first time I spun the disc my jaw dropped at the "you-are-there" quality of the natural lighting.
So natural lighting is...dark. It's not something I've ever noticed. Maybe they should have a warning on the BD case - Projectors only...in a very dark room.

I'll keep on fighting the good fight :)

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Billy Batson said:
So natural lighting is...dark. It's not something I've ever noticed. Maybe they should have a warning on the BD case - Projectors only...in a very dark room.

I'll keep on fighting the good fight :)
Natural lighting is fine. Kubrick's Barry Lyndon comes to mind. That said I've seen Last of the Mohicans in the theater as well as owned the VHS ,laserdisc and DVD none have exhibited the darkness exhibited by the Blu-ray. As previously stated I believe that the Blu ray is way too dark. And that's too bad as I believe that this latest cut is the best we've seen thus far.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoeDoakes said:
Will there ever be a blu release of the theatrical cut?
Probably not as the director doesn't appear to support this version being released on BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks