What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Last Laugh -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For those among you, who have taken cinema classes, (but more for those who have not) some of the films that were run again, and again, and again, were titles like Metropolis, Broken Blossoms, Birth of a Nation, The Seventh Seal, The Last Laugh, 8 1/2, La Strada and L'Avventura.

Kino's Classics label, has seen fit to make available some of the great German silent productions, by virtue of their agreement with the Murnau Foundation.

While their immense Fritz Lang Collection will be available on November 21st, their recent release of Murnau's The Last Laugh, one of the great silent productions, starring Emil Jannings, needs to be brought to your attention.

Here is a 93 year-old film, that can hold an audience rapt today, as well as it did then.

Stand the test of time?

You bet'cha.

But here's the reason to purchase this release, whether or not you've never seen it (and I'm jealous of those who will see it for the first time), or have it in some older format or edition.

This is a true restoration, based upon the finest surviving film elements, and for me -- I've only seen it in 16mm dupes, it was as if I were seeing it for the first time.

Beautiful grain structure, black levels, shadow detail, and a score that works nicely. Along with the feature is a wonderful selections of special offerings, that makes this a true Special Edition.

Image - 4.25 (averaged)

Audio - n/a

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade value - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]I'm jealous of those who will see it for the first time[...]This is a true restoration[...]it was as if I were seeing it for the first time.
Does this mean that you're even jealous of yourself?;)
Thank you for this review. Can't wait to see this. And yes, it will be for the very first time.:)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
For those among you, who have taken cinema classes, (but more for those who have not) some of the films that were run again, and again, and again, were titles like Metropolis, Broken Blossoms, Birth of a Nation, The Seventh Seal, The Last Laugh, 8 1/2, La Strada and L'Avventura.

Kino's Classics label, has seen fit to make available some of the great German silent productions, by virtue of their agreement with the Murnau Foundation.

While their immense Fritz Lang Collection will be available on November 21st, their recent release of Murnau's The Last Laugh, one of the great silent productions, starring Emil Jannings, needs to be brought to your attention.

Here is a 93 year-old film, that can hold an audience rapt today, as well as it did then.

Stand the test of time?

You bet'cha.

But here's the reason to purchase this release, whether or not you've never seen it (and I'm jealous of those who will see it for the first time), or have it in some older format or edition.

This is a true restoration, based upon the finest surviving film elements, and for me -- I've only seen it in 16mm dupes, it was as if I were seeing it for the first time.

Beautiful grain structure, black levels, shadow detail, and a score that works nicely. Along with the feature is a wonderful selections of special offerings, that makes this a true Special Edition.

Image - 4.25 (averaged)

Audio - n/a

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade value - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

I wonder how this transfer compares to the LAST LAUGH transfer in the Murnau German box set, which I purchased about a year ago, and which looks quite nice.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wonder how this transfer compares to the LAST LAUGH transfer in the Murnau German box set, which I purchased about a year ago, and which looks quite nice.

If licensed by the Foundation, probably the same master

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Outside of Chaplin and Keaton comedies, I find Murnau's films to be the most consistently enjoyable and accessible of silent cinema. The way that every camera movement and every gesture by Emil Jannings builds up the film. Or the ending being both darkly funny and poignant.

I was on the fence about getting this or the UK Masters of Cinema "Early Murnau" set with this and four other films, but Kino having a second score and commentary makes this essential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks