What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Last Hurrah -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
John Ford directed 27 films in the 1930s.

11 in the 1940s, but there was a war that interceded. His government output was superb.

15 in the 1950s, by which time he had hit his sixties.

The 1960s had 7 films released, with Young Cassidy, taken over by Jack Cardiff.

While there are many great productions in the 1930s and '40s, and most of the fifties films were in various forms of color, he returned to black & white for The Rising of the Moon (1957), and The Last Hurrah (1958), both stories encompassing his extraordinary Irish heritage.

Yes, I'm aware that there were two color productions with great Irish characters, the beloved The Long Gray Line, about the wonderful Marty Maher (which I'd love to see on Blu-ray, especially in stereo), and that other one, that was shot in Ireland in three-strip Technicolor.

But what interested me about his black & white work, especially The Last Hurrah, which I saw theatrically, was how beautifully he handled the black & white technology on which he cut his cinematographic teeth.

Watch the great Spencer Tracy and his band of political cohorts in television, or on DVD, and it's a nice film, but pity it wasn't shot on color.

Watch Twilight Times' new Blu-ray, however, and the sheer power and magic of black & white, as shot by Charles Lawton, who knew a bit about his craft, comes across like gangbusters.

One of the great political tales, from a group of masters, the likes of which we may never see again.

The Last Hurrah is a film that deserves a place of honor in any serious cinephile's library.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 1.0)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The 1960s had 7 films released, with the final production, Young Cassidy, taken over by Jack Cardiff.

I stand to be corrected but I believe there were 8 films released released in the 1960s. His final production was the underrated 7 Women which shamefully not only has never seen a blu ray release, it was never even released on DVD! For the record:

1. Sergeant Rutledge (1960)
2. Two Rode Together (1961)
3. Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
4. How The West Was Won (1962) the Civil War sequence
5. Donovan's Reef (1963)
6. Cheyenne Autumn (1964)
7. Young Cassidy (1965) uncredited, directorial credit to Jack Cardiff
8. 7 Women (1966)

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have this film on DVD but I'll just have to upgrade!

Reactions: PMF

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I stand to be corrected but I believe there were 8 films released released in the 1960s. His final production was the underrated 7 Women which shamefully not only has never seen a blu ray release, it was never even released on DVD! For the record:

1. Sergeant Rutledge (1961)
2. Two Rode Together (1961)
3. Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)
4. How The West Was Won (1962) the Civil War sequence
5. Donovan's Reef (1963)
6. Cheyenne Autumn (1964)
7. Young Cassidy (1965) uncredited, directorial credit to Jack Cardiff
8. 7 Women (1966)

"7 Women" was released as a very nice MGM letterboxed laserdisc. It's in Panavision, so that letterboxing is essential. I watched it recently with a friend who had never heard of it, and we had a great time. Anne Bancroft is sensational, and the ending is amazing (and I don't use that word much). The disc has a vintage behind-the-scenes featurette not mentioned on the cover as well. What the hold-up is on a Blu-Ray is as mysterious as the lack of a DVD. Kino Lorber? Twilight Time? Shout! Factory?

11014648_10205736855761148_2947532620824107799_n.jpg

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I scratched my head about Mary Maher until I realized RAH meant Marty Maher! I thought I had missed a John Ford movie. I actually saw both The Long Gray Line and The Last Hurrah upon release. Wonderful films. I also bemoan the lack of 7 Women in anything but LD, which I own.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"7 Women" was released as a very nice MGM letterboxed laserdisc. It's in Panavision, so that letterboxing is essential. I watched it recently with a friend who had never heard of it, and we had a great time. Anne Bancroft is sensational, and the ending is amazing (and I don't use that word much). The disc has a vintage behind-the-scenes featurette not mentioned on the cover as well. What the hold-up is on a Blu-Ray is as mysterious as the lack of a DVD. Kino Lorber? Twilight Time? Shout! Factory?

11014648_10205736855761148_2947532620824107799_n.jpg

I have that laser disc but alas, my laser disc player broke down many years ago. Since the rights to 7 Women are with Warners, our best bet is that Warners will surprise us one day and announce a blu through the Warner Archives.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I finally watched this movie and enjoyed it. As mentioned, the picture quality is excellent.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks