What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While the liner notes seem to make something special about the fact that The Last Command was derived from a new 4k scan of the original Trucolor negative, we’ll not spend a great of time on that one.
While Trucolor in the late 1940s was a two-color process, by 1953 it was boring old 5248 Eastman Color tri-pak.
Move along. Nothing to see here.
What’s nice, however, is that we do have a new scan, presumably courtesy of Paramount, as part of their overall preservation program.
And since the film is early (as opposed to late) Eastman, the color is quite nice. Film grain, shadow detail, overall resolution, and stability are all up to very pleasing levels.
As a film, it’s one of the best to cover the events of The Alamo and with a superb cast – Sterling Hayden, Anna Maria Alberghetti, Richard Carlson, Arthur Hunnicutt, Ernest Borgnine, J. Carrol Naish, Virginia Grey, Otto Kurger, Slim Pickens, John Russell…
You get the idea.
It’s a quality Republic production.
Image – 4.75
Audio – 5...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For perhaps the first time, my video grade is lower than RAH's.:) My grade is 4.0 on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best. You can tell this film was influenced by James Edward Grant's treatment he wrote for it as there are too many similarities between this film and "The Alamo" in which he's the sole credited screenwriter. The Duke loved Grant's dialogue and was very upset that Yates at Republic wouldn't allow him to have that script that Grant wrote years before he actually filmed "The Alamo". That ended Wayne ever working at Republic again. Again, Grant was Wayne's favorite screenwriter and those two had a very close friendship until Grant's death.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For perhaps the first time, my video grade is lower than RAH's.:) My grade is 4.0 on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best. You can tell this film was influenced by James Edward Grant's treatment he wrote for it as there are too many similarities between this film and "The Alamo" in which he's the sole credited screenwriter. The Duke loved Grant's dialogue and was very upset that Yates at Republic wouldn't allow him to have that script that Grant wrote years before he actually filmed "The Alamo". That ended Wayne ever working at Republic again. Again, Grant was Wayne's favorite screenwriter and those two had a very close friendship until Grant's death.

Agree visual problems are all in cleanup, but base image harvest, and generally, color, are lovely

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Agree visual problems are all in cleanup, but base image harvest, and generally, color, are lovely
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this BD release as this film is a personal favorite of mine from my youth. I watched this disc twice because I wanted to listen to the audio commentary and both times viewing this disc were the only times I actually watched this film in its OAR. TBH, my first viewing of this film was probably on a black and white TV set in the mid-1960s.

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Lots of specs and minor blemishes on this one but overall nice image and color.
Yes, that's my assessment too, Like Robert Crawford, I've watched this twice already, once for the commentary which I found interesting.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this BD release as this film is a personal favorite of mine from my youth. I watched this disc twice because I wanted to listen to the audio commentary and both times viewing this disc were the only times I actually watched this film in its OAR. TBH, my first viewing of this film was probably on a black and white TV set in the mid-1960s.

Possibly, I’m being lenient, in comparing it to version that arrived 5 years hence.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The color was very nice on this and it is a good Republic production. Like an A movie for them. This was a favorite of mine as a kid and I hadn't seen it in at least 30 years so it was great fun to see again.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've never seen this film, but once the Blu-ray drops in price (currently $30 at Amazon!) I'll be picking it up.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I watched this last night. I agree the color is quite beautiful still some clean up that seemed like it could have been easily done including cyan vertical line that went through the center of the frame for several seconds. I'm guessing that the resolution loss when Santa Anna's troops are seen riding say four or five different times in the film were duplicates.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

In my opinion this is what should count. If some entitiy wans to spend a lot more on frame by frame cleanup later let them do it but the base is already there. With things done this way we may get titles that otherwise would be too costly to bring to Blu-ray so I am all for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks