1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Last Command (1955) -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Message #1 of 13 Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2018
    Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    While the liner notes seem to make something special about the fact that The Last Command was derived from a new 4k scan of the original Trucolor negative, we'll not spend a great of time on that one.

While Trucolor in the late 1940s was a two-color process, by 1953 it was boring old 5248 Eastman Color tri-pak.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

What's nice, however, is that we do have a new scan, presumably courtesy of Paramount, as part of their overall preservation program.

And since the film is early (as opposed to late) Eastman, the color is quite nice. Film grain, shadow detail, overall resolution, and stability are all up to very pleasing levels.

As a film, it's one of the best to cover the events of The Alamo and with a superb cast - Sterling Hayden, Anna Maria Alberghetti, Richard Carlson, Arthur Hunnicutt, Ernest Borgnine, J. Carrol Naish, Virginia Grey, Otto Kurger, Slim Pickens, John Russell...

You get the idea.

It's a quality Republic production.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

skylark68, Richard M S, PMF and 3 others like this.
  2. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Lots of specs and minor blemishes on this one but overall nice image and color.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    For perhaps the first time, my video grade is lower than RAH's.:) My grade is 4.0 on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best. You can tell this film was influenced by James Edward Grant's treatment he wrote for it as there are too many similarities between this film and "The Alamo" in which he's the sole credited screenwriter. The Duke loved Grant's dialogue and was very upset that Yates at Republic wouldn't allow him to have that script that Grant wrote years before he actually filmed "The Alamo". That ended Wayne ever working at Republic again. Again, Grant was Wayne's favorite screenwriter and those two had a very close friendship until Grant's death.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Agree visual problems are all in cleanup, but base image harvest, and generally, color, are lovely

OliverK and PMF like this.
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with this BD release as this film is a personal favorite of mine from my youth. I watched this disc twice because I wanted to listen to the audio commentary and both times viewing this disc were the only times I actually watched this film in its OAR. TBH, my first viewing of this film was probably on a black and white TV set in the mid-1960s.

PMF likes this.
  6. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Yes, that's my assessment too, Like Robert Crawford, I've watched this twice already, once for the commentary which I found interesting.

PMF likes this.
  7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Possibly, I’m being lenient, in comparing it to version that arrived 5 years hence.

8. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

The color was very nice on this and it is a good Republic production. Like an A movie for them. This was a favorite of mine as a kid and I hadn't seen it in at least 30 years so it was great fun to see again.

RBailey and Robert Crawford like this.
  9. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I've never seen this film, but once the Blu-ray drops in price (currently $30 at Amazon!) I'll be picking it up.

Richard M S likes this.
  10. CarlosMeat

CarlosMeat Second Unit
    Supporter

Carlos
    I watched this last night. I agree the color is quite beautiful still some clean up that seemed like it could have been easily done including cyan vertical line that went through the center of the frame for several seconds. I'm guessing that the resolution loss when Santa Anna's troops are seen riding say four or five different times in the film were duplicates.

11. OliverK

OliverK Producer

In my opinion this is what should count. If some entitiy wans to spend a lot more on frame by frame cleanup later let them do it but the base is already there. With things done this way we may get titles that otherwise would be too costly to bring to Blu-ray so I am all for it.

Stephen PI likes this.
  12. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I always appreciate your reviews Robert I am adding this to my to get list.

PMF likes this.
  13. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I ordered this last month but it has yet to arrive or even ship out actually. I do look forward to seeing it though.