What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Kid -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I was being sarcastic.

In the 1930's, I believe it was, both Paramount and Universal pulled up to the Pacific Ocean and proceeded to dump tons of O-neg nitrate reels into the ocean.

I sensed the sarcasm towards Paramount and Universal...but never knew of that story.
I-N-S-A-N-E on their parts.
OMG, we must keep Gary Barber away from any and all objects that float.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Waiting for my copy of "The Kid" to arrive.
Can't wait to see the "otherworldly" aspects of this transfer, as described by RAH.
These Criterion/Chaplin offerings have been true treasures.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I've neglected to post in here up to now, and I'm not sure why. The Kid is probably my favorite Chaplin film (or at least neck-and-neck with The Gold Rush and Modern Times), so this was a release I was anxiously anticipating. Reading Mr. Harris's review and seeing the various screenshots from around the web got me even more excited. But nothing prepared me for this gorgeous transfer. I have been delighted with all of Criterion's Chaplin releases (as well as Flicker Alley's releases of the Mutual and Essanay shorts), but The Kid is on an entirely different level. The resolution is uncanny, in the truest sense of the word. Even with the previous Criterion/Chaplin transfers as a benchmark, I find it difficult to believe the evidence of my own eyes as I watch The Kid. The sharpness, the detail, the greyscale...this simply doesn't look like a 1921 production. It looks like a modern recreation of a 1921 production. In short, it looks so pristine that it becomes almost unthinkable that the picture is rapidly approaching its 100th anniversary. I was literally agape as I watched this disc, and I can only offer my most sincere gratitude to Criterion, L'Immagine Ritrovata, and the Chaplin estate, for making this miracle possible.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Indeed - it's exquisite. The 370-foot portion from the 1921 fine-grain that was inserted to replace the decayed first-generation element is almost shabby in contrast. The deleted scenes that were re-inserted into the film on the LaserDisc are also available as extras and are also pristine - although without any music. We have been fortunate with all the Chaplin and Harold Lloyd blu-rays from Criterion - I only wish someone had found the resources to restore the Buster Keaton classics that are currently available from Kino.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Keaton features are being restored by Cineteca Bologna in 4K and will be distributed by Cohen. The General and Steamboat Bill, Jr. are already completed.

Thanks to Criterion's latest flash sale, I ended up with The Kid, as well as Speedy and The Freshman. Now I have all of Criterion's silents on Blu-Ray. This might be the best-looking silent on the format.

I was surprised to find that the Jackie Coogan interview is basically the uncut version used in Brownlow and Gill's "Hollywood" - it's even remastered in 1080p. I was expecting an upscale, so perhaps it's part of a larger project for the miniseries? I'd certainly buy it on Blu-Ray.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Interesting, the exact year acetate safety stock was invented? They must have been in a super hurry to get rid of all that nitrate. Can't imagine why...

Jefchak once worked in a booth outfitted with metal doors and porthole windows covered with drop-down guillotine shutters. The projectionist would pull a pin to shut the windows if the film caught fire, run out, pull another pin to shut the door and let the film burn itself out.

Booths were often tiny, asbestos-lined spaces. Jefchak knew a guy who threaded films for a huge, glamorous, 4,000-seat theater in a space no larger than an airplane lavatory. Every night, the guy scrunched inside a booth dangling from the attic above the auditorium like a fighter plane's ball turret.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Indeed - it's exquisite. The 370-foot portion from the 1921 fine-grain that was inserted to replace the decayed first-generation element is almost shabby in contrast. The deleted scenes that were re-inserted into the film on the LaserDisc are also available as extras and are also pristine - although without any music. We have been fortunate with all the Chaplin and Harold Lloyd blu-rays from Criterion - I only wish someone had found the resources to restore the Buster Keaton classics that are currently available from Kino.
I also took the opportunity to pick up Speedy during the flash sale. I love Harold Lloyd. He's the oft-forgotten member of what I consider the Big Three of silent comedy. Criterion (and their many collaborators) have indeed done wonders with their Chaplin and Lloyd releases, and I couldn't be happier. Like you, I also long for restored Keaton, and I do believe our patience will be rewarded in the long run.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The resolution is uncanny, in the truest sense of the word [...]this simply doesn't look like a 1921 production. It looks like a modern recreation of a 1921 production.
I swear it, I'm not paying lip-service to your quote; but that was exactly my very statement, last night, when I sampled a scene from "The Kid" to a salesman who had a designated theater in his showroom; as being projected through the Sony 4K projector.
Case in point; another salesman happened by the doorway of the darkened room. He had no idea that being displayed was an original 1921 Chaplin in 4K. As he looked in; and in all sincerity; he said, "Robert Downey was better in this than I remembered". The clarity is THAT modernly good. Or, as RAH pointed out...it is "otherworldly". Anyone seeking this Chaplin/Criterion title would be squandering their time by waiting for a half-off sale. Run, don't walk. I "Kid" you not.

P.S. In truth, I still can't afford a 4K projector.:(
Nonetheless, by bringing in a few sample discs to a store is a great way of keeping the dream alive.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
If only the Robert Downey, Jr. film looked this incredible on BD! haha This is indeed a remarkable restoration...one which shocks everyone I show it to, just as much as it shocked me, if not more.

And I wholeheartedly agree that any Chaplin fan would be doing themselves a disservice putting this purchase on the back burner. I've been known to wait for 50% Off sales for the majority of my Criterion purchases. But exceptions must be made, and this was certainly one of those exceptions.

The Kid is currently $26.19 on Amazon, and for the quality you get, that is a steal.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Has Criterion announced any future release dates for another Chaplin feature?
I hope its "The Circus".
But, then again, I'll take 'em exactly in the order they come.:popcorn:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Has Criterion announced any future release dates for another Chaplin feature?
I hope its "The Circus".
But, then again, I'll take 'em exactly in the order they come.:popcorn:

No, The Kid was the most recent release, and none are announced as of the releases scheduled through December 2016. They still have the following as expected releases, dates TBD:

Shorts:

A Dog's Life (1918)*
Shoulder Arms (1918)*
Sunnyside (1919)
A Day's Pleasure (1919)
The Idle Class (1921)
Pay Day (1922)
The Pilgrim (1923)*

* - These three shorts also made up the compilation film The Chaplin Revue (1959).

Features:

A Woman of Paris (1923)
The Circus (1928)
A King in New York (1958)

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks