What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The James Dean Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I'm not hearing distortion really, there is a lot of brass, and coupled with the chorus, the blattiness of the mixed horns may seem like distortion. That's my guess on what you're hearing, unless you are over driving the speakers. I listened to it at reference level.

I had the irritation again of seeing the titles segment in window box on the Blu-ray! :D

Edit: I ran it initially through my OPPO 95, but I then ran it through my processor in DTS Stereo with slightly more gain, and did hear some crackling distortion at the brass/chorus crescendo. The track sounds like it was recorded in very limited range, and sounds pretty bad as far as orchestral recordings go, but it was the mid 50s. Hard to tell if it's the source or the remastering of course.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, when I said distortion I meant crackling distortion.

I'm at 1 hour 50 minutes now, and I have heard it again sometimes, usually when the music is heavy.

So, it's not the fault of my speakers? How can I eliminate it? I didn't understand very well from your reply.

(I don't understand what "over driving" or "more gain" means)

By the way, I'll make a test when I end the film and hear the sound from my 2 rear speakers (I'll switch the cables) and use them as front.

They' re 2 large speakers from my old stereo so I want to check if that will make a difference.

edit: Anyway, I couldn't wait and made the test now.

yeah, same crackling distortion. And maybe even more I might say.

edit2: If I lower the "treble" setting in my audio card (from 70% where I have it currently to 0) the crackling is eliminated substantially. But the levels like this are not right. It's like I cut off all high frequencies.

Anyway, the thing I was wondering initially was if this Bluray is heard without any audio problem whatsoever in another system, or this crackling is on the Bluray.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Basically I meant you may have had them too loud (gain meaning volume here, though in some systems they are quite different), but it looks like it's on the disc, so you can't eliminate it, just lessen it by turning it down.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Dr Griffin said:
Basically I meant you may have had them too loud (gain meaning volume here, though in some systems they are quite different), but it looks like it's on the disc, so you can't eliminate it, just lessen it by turning it down.
Yeah, thanks, I tried that too lowering the volume from my audio card too, but it didn't solve the problem.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
eoescene.JPEG

From the set of East of Eden - Raymond Massey, Ted McCord (on ladder), Elia Kazan (next to camera) and I'm guessing Andy Anderson (operating camera).

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching East of Eden now. This is my favorite James Dean film. Very good pq.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Kicked this one back up because I just carted the James Dean Collection (currently $41.99) but was wondering if it would be better to buy the individual films on Blu (and save $5 or so) vs. the collection.

I'm leaning to the collection at this point.

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
OK, hoping someone can help me as I want to buy the right one.

Amazon U.S. is currently selling JAMES DEAN: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION, on Blu-ray, for $299. (!!)

Amazon UK is selling THE COMPLETE JAMES DEAN COLLECTION, on region-free Blu-ray, for about $17.

Are these sets essentially the same, as far as the movies themselves & video extras goes? I don't care so much about posters, books, etc. -- just the video content.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
OK, hoping someone can help me as I want to buy the right one.

Amazon U.S. is currently selling JAMES DEAN: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION, on Blu-ray, for $299. (!!)

Amazon UK is selling THE COMPLETE JAMES DEAN COLLECTION, on region-free Blu-ray, for about $17.

Are these sets essentially the same, as far as the movies themselves & video extras goes? I don't care so much about posters, books, etc. -- just the video content.
I can't confirm 100%, but by the specs listed at http://www.dvdcompare.net, (you have to lookup the individual movie titles) the discs look identical worldwide as far as content. I would presume they're just the same discs repackaged without all the merch, but I have no direct knowledge.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The UK James Dean collection is exactly the same at the U.S. version and a lot cheaper. It's similar to the situation with the Alfred Hitchcock collection and the Universal Monster collection. For some reason the UK versions are the same but much cheaper (with the exception on the Hitchcock UK version not having North By Northwest).

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
The UK James Dean collection is exactly the same at the U.S. version and a lot cheaper. It's similar to the situation with the Alfred Hitchcock collection and the Universal Monster collection. For some reason the UK versions are the same but much cheaper (with the exception on the Hitchcock UK version not having North By Northwest).
I purchased the UK set, and while the films themselves are region free, the supplementary material is region B. I purchased the set upon it's initial release, so I'm not sure if this is still the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks