What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Huntsman Winter's War -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Cedric Nicolas-Troyen's The Huntsman Winter's War didn't win any popularity contests upon theatrical release, but will hopefully find a second life courtesy of 4k UHD, as it arrives as a poster-film for the format.

Even though not finished in 4k, the combination of shooting with an Arri Alexa 65 and Hasselblad 65 optics, yields imagery that goes beyond the fairy tale prequel to the supposed legend of Snow White. If one does proper research, it will be found that not only did Ms White exist, but her life was far from what was offered back in 1937.

Snow White is an extremely dark tale, Universal's new 4k disc encoded for HDR, beautifully allows that imagery to be projected, with all of its darkness, light and shadow intact.

Beyond story in this film, one cannot ignore the effects, the sets, and the extraordinary costumes, all of which come to the fore in 4k, especially with the help of HDR.

Not into fairy tales?

Like your stories dark?

Give this one a try.

A magnificent offering from Universal, as they begin their march into 4k media.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS:X)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Not much interest in this then! I'm a bit surprised it got made, as no one seemed to have a good word to say about the first film, I don't know what business it did. I really enjoyed it & have seen the Blu a few times, I'm going to buy this one as well, but just the standard Blu-ray.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not much interest in this then! I'm a bit surprised it got made, as no one seemed to have a good word to say about the first film, I don't know what business it did. I really enjoyed it & have seen the Blu a few times, I'm going to buy this one as well, but just the standard Blu-ray.

As the standard Blu is along with the 4k, I'd advise going 4k to be future proof.

As noted above, the costumes and sets shine in 4k.

One other thing that I neglected to mention is the packaging.

Beautifully done, with a gorgeous slipcase, that you'll want to keep intact. Universal has created the nicest packaging I've yet seen for 4k.

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Good advice, I'm going to have to start thinking about that. When my beloved Plasma goes, it'll be a 4K telly replacing it (& there'll be a better choice of player then).

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Robert, my understanding is that Universal has chosen Dolby Vision as their HDR choice. How is it that that can translate okay with the Samsung player, which doesn't do Dolby Vision? Did you have to adjust things from how you have it set for HDR 10? The whole deal with 4K variants and lack of calibration material has kept me from jumping in.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Robert, my understanding is that Universal has chosen Dolby Vision as their HDR choice. How is it that that can translate okay with the Samsung player, which doesn't do Dolby Vision? Did you have to adjust things from how you have it set for HDR 10? The whole deal with 4K variants and lack of calibration material has kept me from jumping in.

There are no DV discs, I don't believe there ever will be. Plus even if they release a DV disc they have to release HDR10 which is required per the spec. DV is optional.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks