What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Hound of the Baskervilles (1959) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles (1902), has been translated to film and television about a dozen times over the years, which must be some sort of record.

The two most famous films are the 1939 Fox version, directed by Sidney Lanfield, and starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, and the Hammer version, produced twenty years later, directed by Terrence Fisher, and starring Peter Cushing and Andre Morell as Holmes and Watson, and Christopher Lee as Sir Henry.

While both are quality affairs, I personally prefer the darker, more gloomy representation of the 1939, as opposed to the '59 with its occasionally stage bound sets, and Eastman Color, which I believe was a first for a Holmes production.

The Blu-ray represents the film well, with nice color, and a proper-appearing grain structure. It all works.

Twilight Time tops it all off with a quality selection of extras, fit for any Holmes fanatic.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
While preferring the Hammer Film with Peter Cushing, I love both the 1939 & 1959 versions (and have watched them many times), and I remember liking the 1983 Ian RIchardson starrer directed by Douglas Hickox (although I have only seen it once long ago). One comment regarding the review -- I think it fair to say that the 1939 version is also "occasionally stage bound," but maybe it has a bigger stage or two.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I don't care much for the Hammer film. To me Peter Cushing plays Holmes whereas Basil Rathbone is Holmes.

Ian Richardson was good and his film has just been released on blu-ray in the UK. Not sure about the image quality though.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I love all things Holmes and have this disc on the way. Glad to know it's a quality affair.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I like both versions, and I like both Cushing and Rathbone as Holmes. However, I, too prefer the 1939 version. There are several classic moments from the original story missing from the Hammer version, such as Holmes and Watson taking turns examining Dr. Mortimer's walking stick, and the scene where the killer in a Hansom cab is stalking Sir Henry and Dr. Mortimer (with Holmes & Watson following) as they walk in foggy London (even if it is a set). The Hammer film seemed to be too low budget to afford a London exterior (studio or location), and subbed in the tarantula scene instead.

Also, of all the versions I have seen, I still think the 1939 version has the best hound. Several versions get cute with it in an attempt to make it more creepy. The dog in the 1939 version looked like a real huge dog (which it was).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Oddly enough, while I think the Conan Doyle novel(la) is the best of the 60 Sherlock stories in print, and while I believe Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Holmes to be favorable even to Rathbone's, I feel the BBC version of THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES is arguably the weakest in the otherwise stellar series.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oddly enough, while I think the Conan Doyle novel(la) is the best of the 60 Sherlock stories in print, and while I believe Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Holmes to be favorable even to Rathbone's, I feel the BBC version of THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES is arguably the weakest in the otherwise stellar series.
It may have been made during the period of Brett's declining health.

funkymonkey62

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
It may have been made during the period of Brett's declining health.
It was at the start of his declining health but the problem is really with the source material. Holmes is absent for a large chunk and the whole production felt sluggish anyway regardless of his presence. Definitely the weakest link in an otherwise excellent set of adaptations.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Which Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock made a fun reference in the last episode produced. Where Mrs. Hudson complains that all her character does in Dr Watson's books is open the door and show people in, Holmes replies she shouldn't complain as he is barely in the story with the dog.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Which Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock made a fun reference in the last episode produced. Where Mrs. Hudson complains that all her character does in Dr Watson's books is open the door and show people in, Holmes replies she shouldn't complain as he is barely in the story with the dog.
Was that the Abominable Bride?

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For what its worth, the 1968 BBC version starring Cushing and Nigel Stock is generally considered the best adaptation of the lot.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
Peter Cushing's performance here is second only to Jeremy Brett's, in my opinion, when it comes to faithfully rendering the character as written by Conan Doyle. Personally, I found him rather too affable in the '60s BBC series, when he took over for Douglas Wilmer. In Hammer's Hound, he is more suitably priggish. One of my favorite Holmes films. Will definitely have to pick up this release. The letterboxed DVD is fairly awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks