What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The His Girl Friday -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The fact that Howard Hawks' His Girl Friday has made to Blu-ray is a small miracle, and that miracle has arrived via a wonderful Christmas gift from Criterion.

The general feeling among serious film buffs is that 1939 was a "golden" year, that produced some of the greatest films ever made.

Although released in the second week of 1940, His Girl Friday fits the M.O. for 1939 films perfectly, except that it was far more modern, with it's overlapping dialogue, and quick patter.

Presumed to be, and treated as public domain for decades, although it probably could have been protected by underlying lit (the 1928 play) the film has been extremely difficult to view in anything close to high quality.

Thanks to Columbia, and their continuing efforts to protect and defend their library, this Blu-ray is based substantially upon a new scan of the original camera negative. Where footage was damaged or missing, a dupe came to the rescue.

I recall that during the opening of the film, there was always either several frames covered by clear tape, with a tear running through them, or later, slugs where the errant frame had been.

No longer.

This representation of the film in all it's black & white glory is a His Girl Friday, the likes of which I've never seen.

Perfect?

Just about.

Several digitally squashed frames at cuts, but nothing that anyone is apt to notice.

Black levels and gray scale are magnificent, as is the audio.

But wait, there's more!

The Academy was able to get the cooperation of the Hughes Corporation enabling the release of the original Lewis Milestone 1931 The Front Page, based on something also unseen in decades. A 35mm print.

This restoration, produced by the Academy Film Archive with funding from the George Lucas Family Foundation, and The Film Foundation, is a tale in itself, and I highly suggest that after you grab a copy of this release, that you visit the restoration discussion in the extras, as it's one of the finest of its kind that I've had the pleasure to view. In it, the point is made that the audio for The Front Page was harvested directly from the metal master used to strike the original disc master for the film.

Another extra of note, is a superb featurette in which historian David Bordwell guides us through the background and history of Mr. Hawks and the making of His Girl Friday.

This is a set of discs that one should not be able to turn down. For those who may have somehow missed His Girl Friday, the film is quintessential Grant and Russell, and not to be missed.

His Girl Friday - 5
The Front Page - 3

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez

His Girl Friday - 5
The Front Page - 3.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This film has been one of my favorites movies since my childhood. It is probably my favorite Cary Grant film. I think his performance in it was one of his best comic performances. Russell was great too as was the rest of the cast, especially Abner Biberman as Louie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"Friday" really is an excellent film. It seems surprisingly modern and "fresh" - it's aged waaaay less than one would expect from a 76-year-old comedy.

i watched both "Friday" and "Page" yesterday for my review of this Criterion package and wish I'd viewed "Page" first. Instead, I saw "Friday" and then "Page", and that order doesn't work so well, IMO.

On its own, "Page" is a perfectly fine movie, but I think it's inferior to "Friday", and the drop in quality becomes glaring going from "Friday" to "Page"...

jmoomer

Auditioning
Real Name
Julius
Do we know if the Criterion "Front Page" is different from the one released by Kino Classics?

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Do we know if the Criterion "Front Page" is different from the one released by Kino Classics?

It's supposed to be, yes. The Kino version is the international release while the Criterion will have the U.S. version.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thanks to Columbia, and their continuing efforts to protect and defend their library, this Blu-ray is based substantially upon a new scan of the original camera negative.
Another major score on the OCN front !!!:drum:
Manna from Heaven and all is right with the world.:)
Thought I was safe, though. Barely survived the November/December sales from the various BD houses
Was planning to be good and frugal for the next few months:
O Cry, the beloved Criterion !!
Between the thee of their ever expanding collection and the thou of this RAH review,
neither we nor our seasonal savings shall ever be safe.:D

"Stop the presses" !!
This double-bill deserves to be supported at its fullest-price.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Should be: O, Cry the beloved Criterion! Cry, the beloved discs!
Sorry, couldn't resist.
'tis true.
Originally did use "the", but decided to twist it to "our" (standing for us HTF members who feel their pull, so shortly after the Xmas spending).
Can't beat an OCN of "His Girl Friday", plus "The Front Page", plus a discussion on restoration that even held our resident Archivists attentions. And that, my friends, is a triple-threat in marketing/packaging and an all-round great value that's just too hard to resist.:thumbs-up-smiley:
I'm truly going to hate myself in the morning.;)

Last edited:

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
This film has been one of my favorites movies since my childhood. It is probably my favorite Cary Grant film. I think his performance in it was one of his best comic performances. Russell was great too as was the rest of the cast, especially Abner Biberman as Louie.

The Abner Biberman revival continues!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I was wondering when our good friend Mr. Matychuk would be weighing in;
as news of this Criterion release is such that he would never take for Grant-ed.;)
Cary on...:rolleyes:

Well, not to hijack a Criterion "His Girl Friday" thread, but Abner Biberman is in "Gunga Din" too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks