1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Heiress - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 18, 2019.

1. JSLasher

JSLasher Agent

John Steven Lasher

2. JSLasher

JSLasher Agent

John Steven Lasher
    No one has commented on Aaron Copland's superlative score thus far. So, here goes. Copland refused to accept the Oscar® he received at the 1950 Academy Awards because his score had been tampered with at the insistence of William Wyler, who replaced much of the Main Title music with a syrupy version of Paliser d'Amour arranged by Nathan Van Cleve. Hugo Friedhofer, who received an Oscar® for his score for Wyler's "The Best Years of Our Lives", attended the recording sessions, informing me how superb Copland's main title music was.

3. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    Don't forget the best of them all: Gun Crazy! Stanley Donen's On The Town and Nicholas Ray's They Live By Night were also 1949 vintage. Ralph Richardson not only starred in The Heiress in 1949 but should have won an Oscar for his performance in The Fallen Idol that same year. I've just seen The Heiress for the first time, as Criterion released the UK version this week. What tremendous performances - I should be watching far more of the classic films in my collection.

PMF likes this.
  4. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    In the case of ROMAN HOLIDAY, it's just Paramount, which doesn't want to license out its scores of great in-demand classics. They're the Wade Williams of studios. God, even Disney (through its club) is beginning to come through. Hope it continues!

5. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

For a transfer coming from internegative this looks mostly mighty good when no opticals are involved. Could have fooled me at times to guess it was IP or OCN.
    Apparently Mr. Clift did not think much of de Havilland's performance, Oscar or no Oscar. To me she's not really believable before she's deserted (partly because she overdoes it IMHO and partly because she's simply too beautiful to play an unattractive clumsy mouse), but after, very much so. When she climbs these stairs with the heavy suitcase (on retake 40 or so) her face speaks volumes. Wyler was right to use a really heavy suitcase in the end. :)
    And now please in that quality or better: A Place in the Sun/The Search

6. Message #26 of 26 Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Jay_Z_525

Jay_Z_525 Agent

Jason Zappolo
    I had never seen The Heiress prior to the Criterion release and was really blow away by what a beautiful movie it was with stellar performances.

One thing caught my eye an caused a bit of distraction for me.
    The front door is hung incorrectly, opening out with the hinges on the outside of the door. All Morris had to do was pop the pins out of the hinges and we’d have had a very different ending.