What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Group - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Sidney Lumet's The Group, is a 1966 production, based upon the bestseller by Mary McCarthy.

The novel won millions of fans, as well as naysayers, and still does:

https://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2013/07/vassar-sex-single-girl-ivy-league-mary-mccarthy

I've not seen The Group in decades, although I've recalled it as being inclusive of some of the finest American actresses of their age 20 plus to early 30s, as well as a number of actors in that category, or a bit older.

Playing the eight Vassar co-eds:

Candice Bergen
Joan Hackett
Elizabeth Hartman
Shirley Knight
Joanna Pettet
Mary-Robin Redd
Jessica Walter
Kathleen Widdoes

and the guys...

James Broderick (Matthew's dad)
Larry Hagman
Hal Holbrook
Richard Mulligan

The film was a big deal.

And whatever one's position on its quality, it still, especially in Kino Lorber's new Blu-ray, looks spectacular.

But then again, it was photographed by the great Boris Kaufman - On the Waterfront, 12 Angry Men, Splendor in the Grass et al.

Absolutely, worth your attention, especially for those who may think that Shirley Knight was never young.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes!

Recommended

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm in no hurry to own this disc as I've never been especially thrilled by the film itself. I'll buy it sooner or later as I would like to see the film a couple of times more.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm so looking forward to buying this and retiring my R2 non anamorphic disc. As for Shirley Knight, I'm old enough to remember her in the flush of her youth whether guesting on TV's Rawhide circa 1959 or as Richard Burton's daughter in Ice Palace in 1960!

For fans of the film, check out Pauline Kael's first hand observation (she was allowed on the set) on the making of the film in her book Going Steady.

Last edited:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw this when it came out, and though I don't really remember the story all that much, I do remember Boris Kaufman's color cinematography, which was amazing enough that afterwards I would see a film simply because he photographed it. I also remember the young Shirley Knight, who was equally memorable in DUTCHMAN, directed by a UK editor, Anthony Harvey, who (as Mr. Harris might say) went on to make a small, intimate film with Peter o" Toole & Katharine Hepburn, though my favorite Shirley Knight performance is in Coppola's THE RAIN PEOPLE.

Oh, and I'm pleased to hear that the Blu is excellent, as the DVD wasn't supposed to be, so I never bought it.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I saw this when it came out, and though I don't really remember the story all that much, I do remember Boris Kaufman's color cinematography, which was amazing enough that afterwards I would see a film simply because he photographed it. I also remember the young Shirley Knight, who was equally memorable in DUTCHMAN, directed by a UK editor, Anthony Harvey, who (as Mr. Harris might say) went on to make a small, intimate film with Peter o" Toole & Katherine Hepburn, though my favorite Shirley Knight performance is in Coppola's THE RAIN PEOPLE.

Oh, and I'm pleased to hear that the Blu is excellent, as the DVD wasn't supposed to be, so I never bought it.

Katharine

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Katharine
That's not me; it's spell check! The program changed the spelling and I guess I should have gone to IMDB to make certain, as I often have senior moments, especially where spelling is concerned, but I didn't, thinking erroneously that the program knew better than I did .

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That's not me; it's spell check! The program changed the spelling and I guess I should have gone to IMDB to make certain, as I often have senior moments, especially where spelling is concerned, but I didn't, thinking erroneously that the program knew better than I did .

Never trust spel check

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Absolutely, worth your attention, especially for those who may think that Shirley Knight was never young.

Yeah, saw her in SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH and the Outer Limits episode called "The Man Who Was Never Born," and she was pretty slim and attractive in those days. If you've ever seen the HBO t.v. film INDICTMENT: THE McMARTIN TRIAL, you'll remember she was obese and did (although important to the effect of the story) a very embarrassing nude scene. Night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks