A few words about...™ The General Died at Dawn - in Blu-ray

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another Wonderful Kino release from the Paramount library, Gary Cooper and Madeleine Carroll, directed by the great Lewis Milestone, and a screenplay by novelist, Clifford Odets.

The 1936 production, photographed by Paramount stalwart, Victor Milner.

Great fun, and a major Paramount release of the era, the new Blu-ray looks wonderful.

Just grab this one. I know, too many to buy at present, but there are a handful that are essential.

And keep an eye out for William Frawley.

Also, if any are unaware, seek out Madeleine Carroll in Hitchcock's 39 Steps and Secret Agent.

This release actually looks like a newer master, as advertised. But keep in mind that the entire Paramount library of the era is derived from secondary elements, some not beautifully made. Original nitrates are gone.

An aside, Mr. Cooper made around 25 films for Paramount in the '30s, with some finally becoming available. I'd love to see Peter Ibbetson, North West Mounted Police, The Story of Dr. Wassell and a proper For Whom the Bell Tolls. All except Ibbetson are three-strip.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes. Yes. Yes.

Highly Recommended

RAH

ahollis

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Allen
Yes I would also like a blu-ray of The Story Of Dr. Wassell.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Yes I would also like a blu-ray of The Story Of Dr. Wassell.
Yeah, that Technicolor film might be problematic, but I would love to see it released on Blu-ray.

Dan Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Dan
Yes not real happy that kino has no interest at all in releasing Peter Ibbetson. Ranked number 3 in my favorite Gary Cooper films behind only high noon and sergeant York.

With answers to many questions to the kino insider it was determined that Desire 1936 will be the only other Cooper title that kino will be releasing in their second deal with universal. Desire is a top 10 favorite so i am very happy with its its upcoming release.

Thats alot more output than warner Brothers with the rumors by yourself and others from 3-4 years ago that they were in the middle of working on a full restoration of Sergeant York for release on blu ray. They must have run into serious problems with that restoration. I have given up all hope on ever seeing it released at this point.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2