What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Gang's All Here -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm never quite certain how to relate to the Fox three-strip Technicolor films, as they no longer provide anything close to the original look of Technicolor. And that concept needs to be taken a step further, dependent upon what efforts have been used to try to help what elements that do survive.

This may be more true for Busby Berkeley's 1943 eye-popping The Gang's All Here, than for some of the more quietly colored productions.

What you do get, courtesy of Twilight Time's new Blu-ray, is the over the top talent of Carmen Miranda, and the (to this day) incredible Lady in the Tooti-Fruitti Hat number.

The fun is still intact, along with the whole gang, less the color.

What you do get thanks to Fox's astute 1970s archival staff is a meh Eastman Color version, that while still color, looks nothing like a quality dupe from Technicolor -- take a look at Warner's 1939 Dodge City, or 1949 She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, to see how special three-strip can still look via quality Eastman inter-elements -- and more like a decent old, slightly faded color film, which it is.

The film still remains a hoot, and great fun, and is recommended as a film. Just don't, for a moment, think you're seeing anything representative of original Technicolor, last seen via Eric Spilker's re-lease in the early '70s in blazing three-strip!

Image - 2.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 3

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It's amazing that I do feel cheated by not ever being able to see this title in the glory it once was, but I am joyous that I can see and enjoy it the best it will ever look. Charlotte Greenwood is always a hoot to watch. This is the 5th time I have purchased the title, VHS, Laser, DVD, DVD, and now Blu.

Thank you for your remarks, as I always look forward to them.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It's amazing that I do feel cheated by not ever being able to see this title in the glory it once was, but I am joyous that I can see and enjoy it the best it will ever look. Charlotte Greenwood is always a hoot to watch. This is the 5th time I have purchased the title, VHS, Laser, DVD, DVD, and now Blu.

Thank you for your remarks, as I always look forward to them.

There a glorious surviving dye transfer prints. If you're ever serious about seeing the film properly, the experience is attainable.

Ahab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Friederichs
Have the MOC release already on blu and am very happy with it so I see little need to double dip on this one. But for those without a region free player I'd highly recommend picking up the TT release. It is a joy to watch. Of course, Carmen Miranda steals the show, but Charlotte Greenwod's dance at the party is a real blast. Amazing how high she could kick up those long legs of hers.:D

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I completely forgot I had the MOC release - I'll compare tomorrow. Again, while I owned a lot of Fox dye transfer prints from the 50s, I think the only one I had from the 40s was maybe The Black Swan. So, I'm not sure I've ever actually seen an IB print of any of these films. So, for me, the color on the Twilight Time disc is VERY bold and fun. I'd very much like to see a dye transfer print projected with carbon arc - I can't imagine how beautiful that would look.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I completely forgot I had the MOC release - I'll compare tomorrow. Again, while I owned a lot of Fox dye transfer prints from the 50s, I think the only one I had from the 40s was maybe The Black Swan. So, I'm not sure I've ever actually seen an IB print of any of these films. So, for me, the color on the Twilight Time disc is VERY bold and fun. I'd very much like to see a dye transfer print projected with carbon arc - I can't imagine how beautiful that would look.

Later dye transfer prints, and all safety prints, lacked the G record, or silver record, which toned down the color initially. Quite a difference between the two potential references.

For example, we checked Black Swan against the studio nitrate. The digital result, while in basic color, looks nothing like the original. I came up with a methodology to get it closer, but the added cost, understandably, negated our ability to go there.

It never would have been correct in any case, only closer.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
There a glorious surviving dye transfer prints. If you're ever serious about seeing the film properly, the experience is attainable.
Am I reading your reply correctly? In other words, are you saying that there's an alternate print? If so, how then might it be attainable?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Am I reading your reply correctly? In other words, are you saying that there's an alternate print? If so, how then might it be attainable?

Not on video, you'll have to find a showing of it in 35mm at a place that can obtain the print.

Reactions: PMF

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Possibly UCLA.

I tried to get it a few years ago when I was programming/projecting and wasn't able to. They said the print was a one-of-a-kind and they weren't going to put it in their loaner library. Completely understandable, I'd have been a nervous wreck (even more that usual) running it. The few prints I did get from UCLA were pristine and wonderful.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Completely different transfer. MOC is lighter but weird looking - you can tell right from the Fox logo, which is wildly off in terms of color.

Wow, thanks Bruce! Mine came yesterday (along with SILK STOCKINGS on Sunday) but I have guests and haven't been able to watch either. Interesting to know they are different!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just as good as Mr. Hare says. Color is amazing. Can someone fill me in on Carmen Miranda's nose? Because boy can you see the wacky make-up on it and I just can't tell what's what.

The film is so odd on so many levels, but boy is it entertaining. And Charlotte Greenwood dancing - I practically fell off the couch when she did the high kicks. And that gal who does the specialty dance with all the flips and tumbles - my mouth was agape, oh, yes, my mouth was agape. And Busby Berkeley - was this man certifiably insane? No one like him before or since.

Completely different transfer. MOC is lighter but weird looking - you can tell right from the Fox logo, which is wildly off in terms of color.

Since you've seen both, which do you think is better? Which seems more accurate? Which do you prefer?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Guess I'm in the minority, but I simply cannot stomach Carmen Miranda, even as camp. And I like bananas, as a rule, simply not as head wear.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Guess I'm in the minority, but I simply cannot stomach Carmen Miranda, even as camp. And I like bananas, as a rule, simply not as head wear.
Clearly one of the distributors felt different ...

miss-chiquita_cartoon.jpg.aspx

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There was a Carmen Miranda spoof sketch on the last episode of Maya & Marty:

Dancer: What's that awful smell?
Miranda: It's my tutti-frutti hat. The fruit is rotting.
Dancer: Couldn't you sing and dance without the tutti-frutti hat?
Miranda: HA HA HA!....NOPE!

I couldn't get it to play, but this is a link to the clip:
http://www.nbc.com/maya-and-marty/video/carmen-miranda/3065980

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks