What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Gallant Hours -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert Montgomery's The Gallant Hours, is an odd one. With an almost documentary style, and some decent acting, it's a film that never seems to get away from being stage-bound.

Shot by Joe MacDonald, Kino's Blu-ray, with a master courtesy of MGM, generally looks terrific, and appears to be derived from a quality fine grain. Gray scale is superb, with nice resolution and black levels.

Mr. Cagney made few films from 1960 on, and for Cagney completists, The Gallant Hours is a necessity.

Now if we could round out the '60s with Blu-rays of One, Two, Three, and Ragtime...

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm surprise you only gave a grade of pass to this title. I just deleted the DVD of it from my collection as this BD Release shows great improvement over the DVD. I do agree with you about One, Two, Three and Ragtime. We need them on Blu-ray!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This was recently on TCM and I missed it. I do remember that anyone who is expecting this to be in the mold of a Midway or Longest Day type big battle picture, will be disappointed. It concentrates on Halsey at his flagship (I believe) moving his chess pieces. Seems like I remember his personal anguish over his decisions were a big part of the movie.

I remember liking it very much. Cagney was good (and a good Cagney ain't bad :) )

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm surprise you only gave a grade of pass to this title. I just deleted the DVD of it from my collection as this BD Release shows great improvement over the DVD. I do agree with you about One, Two, Three and Ragtime. We need them on Blu-ray!

Only two buttons to select.

Pass or Fail.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
"Ragtime"?
A film by Milos Forman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragtime_(film)

"The film is notable for introducing numerous actors for whom this was one of their first appearances in an American film: Samuel L. Jackson, Debbie Allen, Jeff Daniels, Fran Drescher, Andreas Katsulas, Ethan Phillips, Elizabeth McGovern, Stuart Milligan, Mary Steenburgen and John Ratzenberger; and an uncredited appearance from Jack Nicholson. Additionally, it was the final film of James Cagney and Pat O'Brien. Cagney had not acted in a film for 20 years prior to his appearance in Ragtime."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks