What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Fury -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
After taking another look at my TT Blu-ray and the Beaver caps, it seems to me like the noise in the former has now become very fine, convincing looking grain in the latter. For the record, according to MichealB (freelancer for Arrow), both James White (restoration) and David Mackenzie (encoding) have confirmed no DNR was used (barring removal of small damage obviously). As for the reliability of caps, especially ones from Beaver, for the most part it's the case they make discs look *worse* than they actually are, rarely better. If the grain on display in the caps looks somehow worse on the actual disc, I'll eat my hat.

That's not to disparage the TT disc of course. I bought it, it was a nice, thankfully unmanipulated master of an iffy Fox transfer. In the end, it turned out to be a holdover for a greater disc to come. No big deal guys.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Neil S. Bulk said:
From the press release, "[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;]Performed and recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra...". This is incorrect. Only the original soundtrack album was performed by the LSO. The music as heard in the movie (and the isolated score) was recorded in LA.[/color]
What if this isn't actually an error Neil? Could Arrow be passing off the LSO soundtrack CD recording as the Original IST? If so...uhm...interesting.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
ROclockCK said:
The major problem with The Fury is that this was a late-70s pushed-processed, very grainy film to begin with...
Was it? That's not how I recall the film. I don't remember it being especially grainy. One thing I liked about Brian De Palma's films; especially CARRIE, BLOW OUT, SCARFACE and BODY DOUBLE, was that so many of them looked really well defined - sharp and bright. But hey...maybe we got a better print in the UK ;)

There's a review of the Arrow release here: http://www.avforums.com/movies/The-Fury-review_11375/blu-ray.html

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
ROclockCK said:
What if this isn't actually an error Neil? Could Arrow be passing off the LSO soundtrack CD recording as the Original IST? If so...uhm...interesting.
I doubt it. It's not complete and combines disparate cues and probably won't sync to the movie. My guess is that they used the isolated score prepared for the Twilight Time release.Both recordings were issued by La-La Land: http://lalalandrecords.com/FuryThe.html

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Douglas R said:
Was it? That's not how I recall the film. I don't remember it being especially grainy. One thing I liked about Brian De Palma's films; especially CARRIE, BLOW OUT, SCARFACE and BODY DOUBLE, was that so many of them looked really well defined - sharp and bright. But hey...maybe we got a better print in the UK ;)
Not so farfetched Douglas. If I recall correctly, just one year earlier, the U.K. got Technicolor prints for Star Wars.

I first saw The Fury in Toronto (probably the Uptown or University), and then again in second-run out in the boonies. In neither city/venue was this film a show-stopping beauty. And grain wasn't even the worst of it; I can even remember density and/or illumination issues.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Neil S. Bulk said:
I doubt it. It's not complete and combines disparate cues and probably won't sync to the movie. My guess is that they used the isolated score prepared for the Twilight Time release.Both recordings were issued by La-La Land: http://lalalandrecords.com/FuryThe.html
That's sorta funny in a sick kinda way...I mean, TT's Nick Redman probably had his hands all over the production of those tracks via his work for Fox. :rolleyes:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Stephen_J_H said:
Grammar police here, but only because this word is a pet peeve. "Irregardless" is not a word; it's a double negative, and I am committed to eradicating it. The word is regardless, as in, "without regard".

Otherwise, Bruce, I completely agree. ;)
Thanks for the correction, but irregardless of it, I'm all about double negatives :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
EddieLarkin said:
After taking another look at my TT Blu-ray and the Beaver caps, it seems to me like the noise in the former has now become very fine, convincing looking grain in the latter. For the record, according to MichealB (freelancer for Arrow), both James White (restoration) and David Mackenzie (encoding) have confirmed no DNR was used (barring removal of small damage obviously). As for the reliability of caps, especially ones from Beaver, for the most part it's the case they make discs look *worse* than they actually are, rarely better. If the grain on display in the caps looks somehow worse on the actual disc, I'll eat my hat.

That's not to disparage the TT disc of course. I bought it, it was a nice, thankfully unmanipulated master of an iffy Fox transfer. In the end, it turned out to be a holdover for a greater disc to come. No big deal guys.
But you know as well as I that IF this same comparison were being done and it wasn't a Twilight Time release, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE would be comparing screen shots and crying DNR, in the same way they cry it for Zulu. Because I don't care how fine or not fine the grain is, how can you explain the extreme and I mean EXTREME loss of detail in the facial features of that last cap - ALL the lines on the forehead are literally gone. I certainly understand the possibility that the Beaver's caps may be incredibly incorrect, which is why I'll wait until I see the Arrow release before making with the pronouncements. I highly recommend you do the same.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hey Now. We all know British English and American English are the exact same...One of the latest TV episodes one character was mocking another characters use of big words, with bug words.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
haineshisway said:
But you know as well as I that IF this same comparison were being done and it wasn't a Twilight Time release, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE would be comparing screen shots and crying DNR, in the same way they cry it for Zulu. Because I don't care how fine or not fine the grain is, how can you explain the extreme and I mean EXTREME loss of detail in the facial features of that last cap - ALL the lines on the forehead are literally gone. I certainly understand the possibility that the Beaver's caps may be incredibly incorrect, which is why I'll wait until I see the Arrow release before making with the pronouncements. I highly recommend you do the same.
The last comparison is not the exact same frame. In the TT frame Cassavetes has eyebrows raised, exaggerating those lines (I'm assuming you mean this rather than the Beaver). But none of that matters - when you do see the Arrow disc, see it in motion, you'll see a fine piece of work.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
John Hodson said:
The last comparison is not the exact same frame. In the TT frame Cassavetes has eyebrows raised, exaggerating those lines (I'm assuming you mean this rather than the Beaver). But none of that matters - when you do see the Arrow disc, see it in motion, you'll see a fine piece of work.
I'm looking forward to it - as for those two caps, I realized they weren't the exact same frame, but even giving it that, look at Cassavetes' coat - there is texture to the fabric on the TT transfer, and not on the new one - that wouldn't matter what frame it was.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
haineshisway said:
John, just curious if you have the Twilight Time disc for comparison?
No; the only disc I can comment on is the Arrow BD I have. Which is streets ahead of the DVD (of course) and superior to the broadcast HD version I have seen.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
John Hodson said:
No; the only disc I can comment on is the Arrow BD I have. Which is streets ahead of the DVD (of course) and superior to the broadcast HD version I have seen.
Both Mr. Harris and myself felt the same way about the Twilight Time disc, too - which is why I'm so curious to see the Arrow and see what the story is.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Neil S. Bulk said:
Yes, they used the Twilight Time iso track. One wonders if they had permission to do so.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
haineshisway said:
Yes, they used the Twilight Time iso track. One wonders if they had permission to do so.
Until that info is revealed, I can't help but feel violated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks