What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Farmer's Daughter -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
H.C. Potter's 1947, The Farmer's Daughter is a quintessential Selznick production, released via RKO.

It's part of Kino Lorber's agreement with Disney to make available the Selznick productions, previously held by ABC, and is a nice step above some of the others in the series in terms of quality.

While I'll not get political, it is a film about politics, and how a (literal) farmer's daughter (Loretta Young) ends up running for congress, and in a turn that might have come from Mr. Capra, ends up facing a low-life politician who runs on his record of perfection, but in reality has no desire to share his country with those who might be of a different color, have different religious beliefs or for that matter, believes in an honest American political system.

The great Joseph Cotten is already in office, and ends up working for Young's cause.

It's a terrific little film, with a great cast - Ethel Barrymore, Charles Bickford et al.

Also make note of a young James Aurness (in his first role), a few years before he hit the big time as a human carrot.

The film is lushly photographed by Milton Krasner in black & white, and Kino Lorber's new disc is a quality representation of the film, with nice black levels, shadow detail, and velvety grain.

For discussion, I'll make note of something that comes to the fore, every time I see a Joseph Cotten performance, and that is the speech pattern and tonality that's a virtual match to Orson Welles.

How do you suppose that came about?

Image - 4.25

Audio - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Saw the film years ago and liked it with a good performance by Joseph Cotton & Loretta Young so I will check out the Blu-ray. Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) is another great film from the director and Selznick and would like to see that on Blu-ray.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Thanks to Kino Lorber's agreement with Disney; or vice versa; the steadfast Selznick series continues. I've waited a long time for this to arrive on BD. For Oscar fans, "The Farmer's Daughter" received two nominations; Charles Bickford for Best Supporting Actor and a win for Loretta Young as Best Actress.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948) is another great film from the director and Selznick and would like to see that on Blu-ray.

Actually, Selznick had nothing to do with Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. Dore Schary was the executive producer on that one.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I'm glad that Mr. Harris made reference to Joseph Cotten's voice, so I can add "with its inimitable note of Virginia honeysuckle". Joseph Cotten certainly gets my vote for most underrated Hollywood star. I come by this naturally, from trying to figure out why he was my movie-nut mom's favourite, but was he ever less than magnetic? And did he ever give an uncommitted performance or hit a false note in anything? He appears on screen and you can just relax because Golden Age Hollywood just showed up. So of course I'm in for Kino Lorber's "The Farmer's Daughter", and after "Under Capricorn" (finally a decent disc!) and "Portrait Of Jennie" and "Since You Went Away" and "Duel In The Sun" I thank them for their service on behalf of us Joseph Cotten fans. Jeez, I sound like my mom.

14457536_10210359818932338_3109382428373056660_n.jpg

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I'm glad that Mr. Harris made reference to Joseph Cotten's voice, so I can add "with its inimitable note of Virginia honeysuckle". Joseph Cotten certainly gets my vote for most underrated Hollywood star. I come by this naturally, from trying to figure out why he was my movie-nut mom's favourite, but was he ever less than magnetic? And did he ever give an uncommitted performance or hit a false note in anything? He appears on screen and you can just relax because Golden Age Hollywood just showed up. So of course I'm in for Kino Lorber's "The Farmer's Daughter", and after "Under Capricorn" (finally a decent disc!) and "Portrait Of Jennie" and "Since You Went Away" and "Duel In The Sun" I thank them for their service on behalf of us Joseph Cotten fans. Jeez, I sound like my mom.

14457536_10210359818932338_3109382428373056660_n.jpg

Joseph Cotten is in the running - but so is Robert Ryan!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Robert Ryan was a great, unique screen presence, and another favourite of mine. You'll get no argument from me, though I know my mom would beg to differ.

Reactions: PMF

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
For discussion, I'll make note of something that comes to the fore, every time I see a Joseph Cotten performance, and that is the speech pattern and tonality that's a virtual match to Orson Welles

“We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for a moment that we’re not alone.”
― Orson Welles

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
“We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for a moment that we’re not alone.”
― Orson Welles

Maybe in the future one can be born alone. So far, I don't know of anyone that was born alone.

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Also make note of a young James Aurness (in his first role), a few years before he hit the big time as a human carrot.

Hmm. Looked everywhere I could think of and no mention of a "James Aurness" surfaced at all.

I did find Ethel Borrymore and Charles Sickford, though. :)

Nice to hear it's a worthy disc, and will pick it up on your recommendation.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hmm. Looked everywhere I could think of and no mention of a "James Aurness" surfaced at all.

I did find Ethel Borrymore and Charles Sickford, though. :)

Nice to hear it's a worthy disc, and will pick it up on your recommendation.

It was a bit later that he dropped the U.

His original billing was correctly, Aurness.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It was a bit later that he dropped the U.

His original billing was correctly, Aurness.

Ethel's and Charles' last names were originally "Borrymore" and "Sickford" respectively, also.

Well, hell, Robert, you have made it very difficult for me to squirm out from under this one, so I'll own up to being wrong. I'm not the President. :blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks