What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Fall -- DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Acorn has been bringing great British programming to the American home video marketplace for quite a while, with their offerings representing some of the most important UK productions of the past several decades.

Add one more to their list with The Fall, a five-part mini-series featuring Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan in the leads.

At first glance the series, which concerns a serial killer on the loose in Belfast, and those out to stop him, would seem to be a simple police procedural.

It takes a bit, but my the middle of the second episode, it becomes apparent that the whole of The Fall will be far more than the sum of its parts -- almost like opening an onion, layer by layer.

Apparently, the first season, with more to come, The Fall is the sort of programming that makes it very difficult not to continue on to the next episode, with immediacy.

Shot with an Arri Alexa in HD, it is released here in standard definition DVD, which is fine if one is going to view it on a flat panel of nominal dimensions, as I have done. Quality is fine.

As I seldom report on DVDs, it can be taken as a measure of The Fall's worth, that I'm finding something special here.

Recommended.

RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's out on blu ray in the UK, i saw it in HD on BBC 2, looked good in high definition, is it not being released on blu ray over there. ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
FoxyMulder said:
It's out on blu ray in the UK, i saw it in HD on BBC 2, looked good in high definition, is it not being released on blu ray over there. ?
Just another shafting to the US market.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Worth said:
It's available in HD via Netflix streaming.
That's where I watched it. I thought it was very good and have recommended it to others. Glad to hear it was picked up for another series (season) as well.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
FoxyMulder said:
It's out on blu ray in the UK, i saw it in HD on BBC 2, looked good in high definition.
Ironically, Acorn UK handled that release. The differences between the two can be striking. For instance, Acorn UK released the latest Foyle's War on DVD only in the UK in May, but Acorn (US) released that same series of episodes on Blu-ray (and DVD) in America on September 24th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks