What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Exorcist III -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Shout (Scream) Factory has pulled out all the stops to provide fans with a special package, for Mr. Blatty's directorial effort, and with the exception of one small problem, it's a great presentation.

The major attribute that will be discussed here is the long-desired Director's Cut of the film, and that, along with interviews (old and new), as well as some other quality extras, yields a terrific package.

We'll discuss the theatrical cut for quality, as the DC really shouldn't be applicable.

There's continued confusion in the marketplace regarding those "k's."

8k scans, 6k scans, 4k scans, 2k scans and HD telecine. Yes, there is a difference between 2k and HD.

What does one really need to create a high-end Blu-ray?

The answer is 2k.

Properly handled, 2k will provide a superb image, and the proof is in this particular pudding.

Shout's Exorcist III is a thing of beauty.

Superb resolution, great color, nice grain structure, shadow detail, black levels. A great offering.

The only negative, and it possibly shouldn't be considered one, as it takes away from the film-like look, is the lack of stability in the image. It bobs and weaves continuously, but that's what it would have done in the theater.

Does one fix it?

Take the unmated scan, stabilize, and then crop?

I would. But there are those who would suggest that that would make it more video and less film.

It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
My main interest in this is the DC, so I'll be getting it regardless, but I wonder if the theatrical is the same transfer as the Warner release of a few years ago.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My main interest in this is the DC, so I'll be getting it regardless, but I wonder if the theatrical is the same transfer as the Warner release of a few years ago.
According to Scream's Facebook page, the theatrical cut is a "New 2K scan of the inter-positive".

And in terms of the director's cut, they said
*In speaking to the process of creating the Legion Director’s cut, Blu-ray producer Cliff MacMillan explains further as to the journey to get there and the outcome. “We conducted an exhaustive search through a pallet of film assets from the original shoot to re-create William Peter Blatty’s intended vision. Unfortunately, that footage has been lost to time. To that end, we turned to VHS tapes of the film’s dailies to assemble the director’s cut. However, even some of that footage was incomplete, so scenes from the theatrical re-shoot were used to fill in the gaps. This director’s cut is a composite of varying footage quality from the best available sources.”

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Is the Fox logo back on this? I seem to recall it was removed on Warner's release of the film.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
If I get this, then the completist in me (or is it the Devil?) will be compelled to get Exorcist 2: The Heretic from somewhere. What I need right now is an old priest and a young priest.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
I had the choice of picking up the anthology for $5 more when I was buying the old Exorcist 3 disc. I already had the first on blu. Wow. 3 more movies for $5 more. Then I realized that I probably would not even pick it up if it was 5 less when Exorcist 2 and prequels are included.
The funny part is that this Scream Factory disc was announced 2 weeks after receiving that watching the old release. Still getting this one. Can't wait!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to this one as it's one of my favorite horror movies and very underrated in my opinion. I wonder how much of an improvement it is over the current disc which is fairly solid PQ-wise.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
If I get this, then the completist in me (or is it the Devil?) will be compelled to get Exorcist 2: The Heretic from somewhere. What I need right now is an old priest and a young priest.
No one should ever feel compelled to get EXORCIST 2. Not ever. Now, for your penance, say 5 Our Fathers and 3 Hail Marys.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
The "Director's Cut" is an interesting extra- and that is how I view it, an extra. While I'm not huge on the addition of the "Father Morning" character to the final theatrical cut, I like pretty much every other alteration made to the T.C., in particular the intercutting of Jason Miller and Brad Douriff (it's ONLY Douriff in the Director's Cut), and as over-the-top as the reshot climax is, at least the T.C. has a climax as opposed to just sputtering out like the D.C. does.

Vincent

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

If one is in the right mood, I'd suggest a John Boorman double-bill of Zardoz followed by Exodus 2. Very high camp value late at night...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
If one is in the right mood, I'd suggest a John Boorman double-bill of Zardoz followed by Exodus 2. Very high camp value late at night...
Triple feature with Excalibur and you've got a deal

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I really see a lot of good in ZARDOZ, especially after a reviewing of THE MATRIX. I think Boorman did better by his mythological issues with it than EXCALIBUR, which starts well but then goes ultra-sluggish. And connery has a nice physical turn going down a steep hill in one take that is as nifty as his train riding in the later Crichton.

HERETIC is a disaster, but visually and aurally it has some very nice stuff in it. And conceptually (going back to original writer concept), it has as strong a premise as any, but ye gods, the execution! I still recommend the MAKING-OF on this as among the very best when it comes to warts&all b-t-s books, right there with SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE (Preminger's ROSEBUD.)

I just rewatched EXORCIST III on DVD this week, and loved it as much as usual, so the BR is definitely on my short list for acquisition. Like the novel a lot as well, so seeing a different take on things is also welcome. (and I love NINTH CONFIGURATION, though I limit myself to once every couple years there, because I don't want to risk wearing that one out.)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think the laughter was in response to the typo of "exodus" instead of "exorcist".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks