What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Equalizer -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have no idea how many films have been created, based upon the premise of the highly trained ops / solider / assassin / whatever - now retired, and living the life they've always dreamed, when something occurs that forces them back on duty.

Such is the case with The Equalizer, directed by Antoine Fuqua, and starring Denzel Washington.

Mr. Washington has done so many superbly acted roles, that I'd lost track of the fact that he'd gone the action route previously.

Sony has released the Columbia project from 2014, presumably as a lead-in to their forthcoming Equalizer 2, which will be released very shortly, and also directed by Mr. Fuqua.

As Mr. Washington seems to select his projects carefully, I hoped that this would also have his requisite quality.

And it does.

There are sly references to his former life, and the dependability of his work in that existence.

There's a brief bit in a sequence during which he realizes that action will be necessary, that he looks at he surveys h is surroundings, in an almost computer-like fashion, makes a determination that whatever he's planning will take 16 seconds, and then sets his watch.

When it takes something like 24, he realizes he's not quite on the mark.

The Equalizer is a 2-hour plus film, that while fully encompassing action, is intelligent, and just plain works.

Derived from a 2k DI, the new 4k release, pleases on all levels, inclusive of pin-point Dolby Atmos.

As an aside, I'm not certain that the Sony to Columbia lead-in is something new, or whether it was attached to the film originally.

Good looking logo.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had never seen this before tonight, and I thoroughly enjoyed it despite the graphic violence which goes hand-in-hand with this kind of thriller. The pace was certainly well sustained with nice breathers between each of the intense action set pieces. I really enjoy this kind of "outwit the bad guys" style of storytelling (the Taken films, The Accountant), and it now makes me eager to see the sequel, too.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I had never seen this before tonight, and I thoroughly enjoyed it despite the graphic violence which goes hand-in-hand with this kind of thriller. The pace was certainly well sustained with nice breathers between each of the intense action set pieces. I really enjoy this kind of "outwit the bad guys" style of storytelling (the Taken films, The Accountant), and it now makes me eager to see the sequel, too.

Unfortunately the sequel is a somewhat weaker effort vs. the original; at least for me. Denzel was effective, but I thought that the primary antagonist for the first film (Martin Csokas as Teddy) was much more effectively realized. He felt like an antagonist who posed a credible threat to McCall, if for no other reason than his attitude and his ruthlessness.

While there are some solid action sequences in the sequel, and plenty of unsavory people to be injured or dispatched in a variety of ways; the central threat was not as compelling in the sequel. The sequel is still a decent action picture, but it feels a little less focused. On the plus side we do get to learn a bit more about McCall's background, which I did enjoy.

Anyway, just my take on the two films. (The sequel is worth a look if you like the first film.)

- Walter.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately the sequel is a somewhat weaker effort vs. the original; at least for me. Denzel was effective, but I thought that the primary antagonist for the first film (Martin Csokas as Teddy) was much more effectively realized. He felt like an antagonist who posed a credible threat to McCall, if for no other reason than his attitude and his ruthlessness.

While there are some solid action sequences in the sequel, and plenty of unsavory people to be injured or dispatched in a variety of ways; the central threat was not as compelling in the sequel. The sequel is still a decent action picture, but it feels a little less focused. On the plus side we do get to learn a bit more about McCall's background, which I did enjoy.

Anyway, just my take on the two films. (The sequel is worth a look if you like the first film.)

- Walter.
I agree with Walter about the sequel and his reasoning. The saving grace for me was finding out more about McCall's background.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. I was disappointed.

The first one was sooooo much better. This one was too all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks