What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Deep -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Deep, directed by Peter Yates, probably best known for Bullitt, is an okay yarn about an underwater discovery and bad vs. good guys in the coastal waters of Bermuda.

The film looks very good on Blu-ray -- precisely as a 1977 production should. And I'd wager that the quality of this transfer and the resultant Blu-ray are the latest result of the studio turning over responsibilities to Grover Crisp. We seem to have reached a point at which the majority of the backlog of older transfers, supervised by others, should be coming to an end. A similar situation should be reaching critical mass later this year at Fox, and I expect the overall quality of their Blu-ray releases to spike.

Whether one wishes to view The Deep to see the great Robert Shaw in a interesting performance, yet not up to his best, or more popularly to revisit the more physical attributes of Jacqueline Bisset in a very wet shirt, the film is worth two hours.

While I generally don't comment on packaging unless I find it problematic, a tip of the hat goes to whomever designed this one. The original artwork for The Deep has been placed over a field of metallic cerulean blue, creating a very nice effect, especially against the generic Blu-ray plastic, which I would presume has its own Pantone number.

Great film? No. Fun film? Yes. Great Blu-ray. Yes.

And certainly worth a rental, if not a purchase.

RAH
Edited by Robert Harris - 7/11/2009 at 09:26 pm GMT
Edited by Robert Harris - 7/11/2009 at 09:27 pm GMT

Robert George

Screenwriter
This is one of those films that has never looked great on video. Underwater photography, like low light photography and the color red, simply does not fare well with the rather severe limitations of standard definition video. The expanded gamut of hi-def helps considerably on this new Blu-ray of The Deep. Looks like a "movie" again.
I agree this is not a particularly great movie, but it is a movie with good "repeatability". As you say, a fun movie. Also, every now and then, guys should be reminded what a truly beautiful woman looks like /img/vbsmilies/htf/blush.gif.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Thanks Robert for saying those kind words about the transfer of The Deep. A reviewer over on another site said the image looked good yet gave the image a mediocre rating. To be honest some people still don't understand that the image should look as good as the film could possible look when it comes to the film and lighting used at the time etc. They all want BD transfers to look like a crystal clear images that contain no grain, and should look like Transformers etc.

Also I loved how they did the cover artwork and SONY and COLUMBIA should get marks for using the image from the original poster artwork - sometimes SONY loves to use the worst photoshopped cover art possible. examples include the DVDs for Seems Like Old Times, Murder By Death and the pressing of The Deep that contains the face shots. Older DVDs of the DEEP in WS have the same image used on the new BD.

Plus everyone compares this film to JAWS which is a really bad thing to do. They have connections yes. Story lines... nope. The Deep stands on its own. and I like it... nice calm if you can call it that film that isn't paced fast, but it flows and I love the pacing.

Love the BD- was happy that I found it at Best Buy the Thurs before the tuesday it was released.
Edited by Powell&Pressburger - 7/12/2009 at 03:34 am GMT

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I received my copy yesterday in the mail and could not wait to play it. I was not disappointed and everything that Mr. Harris said is so true. I have always enjoyed this film and it is a guilty pleasure. I enjoyed the additional clips that were in the broadcast versions for I had never seen them. I especially enjoyed the sinking of the Goliath. The John Barry soundtrack is also a favorite of mine and I had to bring out my record of the soundtrack and listen to it again, It was even pressed in blue vinyl

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We watched our copy last night. The picture quality was excellent, just as Mr. Harris described. It has been many years since I've watched this movie. As others have stated, it's not a great film, but has a decent story that should keep the viewer interested for 2 hours. And Ms. Bisset certainly adds a little something extra to the viewing experience. /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I love this film, and think it's a darn good yarn. The blu-ray is exquisite - even the deleted scenes and vintage docu hosted by Robert Shaw are in HD. What a treat! The first aerial shots of Bermuda and John Barry's score...bliss...

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I love this Blu and Film itself. Its an old fav!.

My only and major complaints are: No Commentary and they only showed 6 deleted scenes when there was an hour that was deleted.

RAH,
Do you know if there is a reson they only showed a snippet of deleted scenes? Are the rest missing? Im really disappointed about this.

Thanks

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I also thought the BD looked and sounded quite good. It was fun watching it again after many years, it got me nostalgic for the Summer films of that era. Now the Summer blockbusters are loud, overproduced and have no soul. The Deep is first rate filmmaking across the board. This Blu ray was well worth the purchase.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
The Deep will always be the film that I saw because Star Wars was sold out, but I enjoyed it. Plan to get the blu-ray, but not immediately

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bradley-E /img/forum/go_quote.gif">
I also thought the BD looked and sounded quite good. It was fun watching it again after many years, it got me nostalgic for the Summer films of that era. Now the Summer blockbusters are loud, overproduced and have no soul. The Deep is first rate filmmaking across the board. This Blu ray was well worth the purchase.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I was one that waxed nostalgic about the 3 hour TV cut, and now that I have seen some of the scenes - in 1080p no less - for the first time since childhood, I'm glad they are included separately. The acting on the bridge during the opening wreck of the Goliath is not up to the level of the rest of the movie IMHO, and I unexpectedly laughed out loud when the young Romer Treece discovers Coffin on the shore and emits a scream befitting a 10 year-old girl...

I also greatly prefer the vague line by Cloche when he tells Treece something to the effect of "your attitude on drugs is a matter of record" in the theatrical cut to imply backstory as opposed to the expanded scene that...well...makes Treece's past a little too conveniently tied into the events at hand.

But yes, Sony deserves loud kudos for this release. I sincerely hope the title sells beyond expectations.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Felix,

I had similar feelings watching the deleted scenes. I can definitely see why they were cut, and am glad they were just included as extras. The entire "sinking of the Goliath" scene seemed unnecessary for the story being told.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the other sub-forum, there have been requests for a Deep SE on DVD for years. One of the posters claimed to have some inside contacts with the studio and related the reason one never showed up was because sales of the original release were not as good as they'd expected.

I would have been very happy just to have another lower profile catalog title I love released on the format. The job Sony did across the board deserves a round of applause (so he stands up) ...Bravo!
As to why they didn't include all the deleted scenes, I'm sure since all the extras were in 1080p as well, it probably came down to their bit budget. This disc is pretty well maxed out as it is.
There were scenes I remembered from the NBC telecast that I would have liked to have seen again, but I'm still bowled over by what I did get, so no complaints from me.

Edited by Paul_Scott - 7/15/2009 at 12:37 pm GMT
I agree that Sony did a fantastic job. Ive just been bitching for years about wanting to see those scenes and was let down when only a few showed up.
Dont get me wrong. Im in the same camp that I am happy that we got a quality release of a catalog title that isnt well known to most crowds.
And Thanks Scott for the info. Had a feeling it was space issues or weak seller on old releases.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This title is on sale at J&R for $14.99 along with some other Blu-ray Discs. For $16.38 shipped along with a few other discs, I took the plunge on this one.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Matt Butler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that Sony did a fantastic job. Ive just been bitching for years about wanting to see those scenes and was let down when only a few showed up.
The one that I remember and was hoping to see again was an extension of the dinner/dancing sequence, before Cloche shows up. That sequence made a strong impression on me when I was 13.
Mostly I just wanted to see more of Bisset in that white dress.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one that I remember and was hoping to see again was an extension of the dinner/dancing sequence, before Cloche shows up. That sequence made a strong impression on me when I was 13.
Mostly I just wanted to see more of Bisset in that white dress.
Ive never seen the 3 hr cut. I know about it and would love a copy if anyone has one.
From what I read about the deleted scenes and from what I saw on the blu I want to see the rest.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Heres a list of the deleted scenes taken from imdb.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The version aired in the original ABC network telecast contained 53 minutes of extra footage that were not shown in the theatrical production. This version was broadcast over two nights in early 1980. The additional material includes:
  • When the film starts, it begins with a two and a half minute prologue of the munition ship going down in the storm, while a young Adam Coffin is on board. There is also a title card, claiming the film has been "edited for television." In the morning after, a young Romer Treece finds Coffin barely alive, covered by a piece of debris.
  • The opening scene includes an extra shot of Gail being pulled by an unseen eel.
  • In addition to the extra shot, this version omits many of the "money shots" of Jacqueline Bisset's t-shirt.
  • There is added ADR of David asking Gail if she's really alright, once the two are back on the boat.
  • In the same scene, the shot wherein the two examine the medallion is from a new angle.
  • When the two get back to the island, Gail goes and takes a quick rinse of the salt water, though her line referencing it, heard in the theatrical cut, is deleted. This scene goes on to show more footage of David and Slake discussing the events of the morning. The scene ends with David and Gail going to the elevator.
  • A new scene after David and Gail are in the library, where the two go to see the librarian(spoken of in the theatrical version) where the librarian reveals that Treece has been on every Bermuda wreck, that Treece is a very secretive person, and warns the two that people on St. David's Island are not very friendly.
  • Longer scene of David and Gail's journey to St. David's Island. This includes padded footage of the two on motor-scooters, and David asking Gail if they have the right directions.
  • When David and Gail arrive at Treece's lighthouse, they search the area, find artifacts from the sea, and ponder whether Treece is even at home, only to be startled by Kevin, threatening the two with a rifle before letting them see Treece.
  • After the first visit with Treece, there is an extra shot of him in his library.
  • The Haitian motor chase is much longer, providing a more gritty feel, before the kidnapping. This scene includes different angles, and close ups of David and Gail's feet as they helplessly pedal.
  • An extra shot of the Haitian car taking David and Gail to Cloche's hideout.
  • The scene where Cloche searches David and Gail has been highly edited, save for a few new moments at the end when Cloche forces David and Gail back into their blindfolds, and warns them not to go to the authorities, telling them instead to forget the whole thing ever happened.
  • Extra establishing shots of the scene that introduces Coffin.
  • In the scene on the water, when Treece and David argue the morphine, the end has included a shot of Gail storming out of the cabin.
  • The argument between David and Gail in their cabin is longer; They are writing postcards, and start to discuss how stupid 'games' on T.V. are. This leads to the argument that we start the scene with in the theatrical cut.
  • While diving at night, David and Treece discuss Adam, and why he's not to be trusted, including his 'story' and history, and why Treece doesn't let Adam dive with them. Later, the scene extends even more, showing us Treece's knowledge of the sea, and we learn a little bit about his own history.
  • A small scene has been added with Gail at the Hotel restaurant, alone, while David and Treece are diving.
  • A plethora of extra footage of David and Treece diving has been added, including underwater scenes, and scenes inside the shipwreck.
  • After Treece and David get done diving, Cloche's men, in a speedboat, taunt the two, by circling them. The line heard in the ship "The biggest moray eel I ever saw" is heard in full form here as well.
  • Extra footage has been added with the struggle of David and Treece against Cloche's men; David's elevator fight is longer, and a small segment where Treece attacks a man with a sprinkler and hose is added.
  • Later that night, at Treece's lighthouse, we see David put Gail to bed, but she gets up. This scene also features a longer conversation between David and Treece, where David apologizes to Treece for blaming him in an earlier scene, and admits his own selfishness. The conversation between Treece and Gail and equally been extended, with Gail asking Treece about his wife, Treece becoming gruff on the subject, and Gail apologizing.
  • The next scene with David and Gail in the bedroom has been dramatically extended, with Gail and David having a full conversation about their trip, Gail confessing that she likes Treece, and finally, the two admitting their love for each other, and the scene ends with a new, longer take of the two kissing.
  • The next scene at the sporting even features longer conversation between Treece, and Cloche; It's revealed that Cloche's men killed Treece's wife over a miscommunicated ship sinking.
  • Before the three go down to hunt the treasure, there is extra conversation of David asking Gail if she's okay, Gail explaining why she wants to wear a tank, and Treece laughing with her.
  • More underwater footage has been added to the next scene.
  • In the theatrical cut, Gail sends the ampules up alone. This time, she takes them up herself, and while she's letting Kevin refill her oxygen tank, there is a small conversation about Treece; He was always like a 'King' of St. David's Island, always having an eye on things (this explains an earlier line: 'I'm all the government you need, boy!) and rumors of Treece being linked as a partner to Cloche.
  • When Treece is planting the ampules in the lighthouse, extra dialogue of David asking Treece about his past his added.
  • The second conversation between Cloche and Coffin is much longer, with Cloche tricking Coffin into trusting him and telling him about Treece's secrecy.
  • Extended dinner scene between Gail, David, and Treece, where new information of the treasure is revealed.
  • When Coffin arrives at St. David's, there is an extended greeting; Treece tells Coffin he has rum waiting for him, and David suggests a whole other 3 lock box that may exist. Later, in the scene, an extra conversation revealing how exhausted David and Gail are, takes place.
  • Upon leaving to blow up the Goliath, David and Treece exchange heated words, and Treece's character development comes full circle, revealing he was never in cahoots with Cloche.
  • Before the final dive, Treece teaches Gail how to use Kevin's rifle, for protection. Then, Gail takes care of the diving equipment.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Looks like a number of Sony titles have gone OOP and are going to Image Entertainment. The Deep is one of them, and the special features may go MIA. Glad I have my copy. If you're a fan and can still find it, I would pick it up. Such a quality catalog title and if the special features do in fact get dropped, that would be a crying shame.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by Felix Martinez
Looks like a number of Sony titles have gone OOP and are going to Image Entertainment. The Deep is one of them, and the special features may go MIA. Glad I have my copy. If you're a fan and can still find it, I would pick it up. Such a quality catalog title and if the special features do in fact get dropped, that would be a crying shame.
I saw the news over at blu-ray.com and it looks like the extras for THE DEEP on blu will not be carried over to the IMAGE release.

I honestly think re-issuing these titles to IMAGE from SONY is almost a waist of time. SONY already has the discs pressed etc... why have them repressed and re-issued again?

It would make more sense to maybe release some catalog titles from SONY to IMAGE we have NOT seen released on BLU yet. That makes sense.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I picked this one up last Spring. It was an easy buy since I always liked the movie and was stuck with that last release on DVD that was only full screen. Seeing this thread got me to finally watch the Blu-ray tonight for the first time. All was good but one thing, the audio. It just didn't sound like it was coming from the center of screen enough, like there was a small echo or something widening the sound field. First disk of any sort where I have had this issue. The sound when underwater was great, like it was specially enhanced for the effect, but it was almost like this was carried over to some of the land scenes where it didn't come off right. Anyone else notice anything unusual about the vocals within the audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks