A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Complete Sherlock Holmes (Revised 2006 Edition)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Harris, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Only slightly higher, but slimmer than any of the three that preceded it, MPI's new incarnation of the 14 classic Sherlock Homes productions, has finally been released in a form that not only takes technical advantage of the DVD format, but makes sense.

Because of the work done by The UCLA Film & Television Archive to the many of the Holmes films, they survive today in a form that not only makes them viewable, but should guarantee their survival.

When the original three boxed sets arrived, they caused me to think back to the 1958 Buicks, which were so over-laden by chrome that today they serve as interesting reminders of that odd age. The trilogy of boxes took up too much shelf space, were difficult to handle, and must have existed strictly to stand out on store shelves to give the prospective consumer that idea that what they were buying was, well..

big.

These films don't need big packaging to stand out.

All 14 productions, the Universal's following the two Fox originals, hold up beautifully as quality entertainment.

Now packaged with elegance by an MPI that belies its own origins, are the Holmes films to own without having to rent out storage space for your DVD collection. The best on-line price appears to be via Deep Discount at $86.50, which works out to $6.18 per film. This is getting into the territory firmly held by Warner and Universal for their vault titles.

As newly packaged, quality DVDs, as great films, and as wonderful examples of the importance of film restoration, the new boxed set come Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

2. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Thanks, Mr. Harris.

I have the original releases so I'm not going to double dip, but I'm curious if putting 14 films on 5 discs caused any compromise in quality that you could detect? I can see going to a 7 disc collection using double features, but wouldn't using only 5 discs create compression problems?

I understand MPI dropped the liner notes that were included with the original releases for this set but included an additional commentary for "Dressed to Kill" with Richard Valley and film star Patricia Morrison (possibly the last surviving adult actor from a Rathbone Holmes film).

I agree that the original cases were bulky (and easily breakable). I converted my collection to slimlines using original one sheet poster art.

Incidentally certain Costcos have these in stock currently in the $75 range.

Steve

3. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    I have been buying the single disc releases of these. A few of them i dont care to own. Hope the singles dont go out of print or anything, cause i still have a few more to get!

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Since the running times on these films seem to hover around the same as the Karloff / Lugosi horror classics of the late '30s and early '40s (under 70 minutes) compression should not be a problem.

RAH

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

6. Jim Bur

Jim Bur Stunt Coordinator

Mr. Harris:

You discuss the difference in packaging in your post, however I'm wondering if there is any positive qualitative difference in the picture or audio of the current DVD release as opposed to their previous releases. I know you're an expert in this area, so it would be helpful to have your opinion. Thank you.

7. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

I found these films to be immensely enjoyable, and though I do not plan on double-dipping, I would purchase Dressed To Kill for the commentary if it was ever produced separately.

8. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

I picked this up, which a double dip for me... well mostly, I hadn't had a chance to get all 14 before. I like the idea of one collection for all them, though the "book" is a little ackward to handle.

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I've already purchased the ONLY 2 films in the series that I wish to own, "The Hound of the Baskervilles" & "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes". So unless the video presentation has been improved extremely or MORE extras added that I feel I need, then I won't be rebuying these 2 films. [​IMG]

10. JerryKILL

JerryKILL Stunt Coordinator

Several customers on Amazon report problems with Hound of the Baskervilles freezing at the 1:08 mark. Anyone else have problems? I want these films, but am hesitant to buy based on this (potential) flaw, and the supposedly "flimsy packaging" (tape holding the discs in place??). Has there been another release after June 27 with different packaging?

11. Karl R

Karl R Stunt Coordinator

I picked up my set at Costco last week and its Disk 1 has the aforementioned "pause" during The Hound of the Baskervilles (My DVD player is a Sony DVP-NS70H.) A similar "pause" also happens on Disk 2 during Sherlock Holmes in Washington, so I'm guessing it's a layer change issue with the discs in this set.

12. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

It would be difficult to GREATLY IMPROVE the picture quality on films that have been completely restored by the UCLA film department. They are already pristine. How much better would you like them to be?

13. Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington Supporting Actor

I wish they were transferred and encoded for progressive playback :-(