What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Captain's Paradise & Barnacle Bill (1957)- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Alec Guinness began his film career at the top, and never wavered. In the past year or so, we've accumulated quite a representation of that career, most notably at Ealing,

Beginning with two David Lean Dickens productions, Great Expectations and Oliver Twist - he would appear in four more - he made his way through the Ealing period, and in many ways was the signature Ealing star.

The Captain's Paradise (1953), and Barnacle Bill (1957) aka All at Sea, are merely the latest to be released. I'm certain more will be forthcoming.

Of the two, I've found Barnacle to be the better, although neither has stood the test of time nearly as well as his more notable productions.

Still, a bit of Guinness is better than no Guinness at all.

Both are quality releases from Kino.

The Captain's Paradise

Image - 4

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Barnacle Bill

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just finished watching BARNACLE BILL, which I owned on DVD under the title ALL AT SEA. I find the first two-thirds of the film to be really funny and entertaining, and the last third to be kind of frantic and not as well written. But, as RAH said, any Alec Guinness, etc... I will now watch CAPTAIN'S PARADISE, which I have never seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks