What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Boy Friend -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Thank you for the shout-out, Robert. It pleases me greatly that George Feltenstein refers to this as "The Schlesinger Cut."

I wish I had some fantastic anecdote, but the plain fact of the matter that I asked Dick May, then head of MGM's asset management, about putting it back together. He checked and found that it had only been cut for the North American release, and there was apparently a perfectly intact uncut negative labeled "International." I quickly ordered a print, screened it, realized it was indeed the full version, and the rest is history. I then looked into the other pictures butchered by Aubrey. Blake Edwards' WILD ROVERS was also left intact for the rest of the world and I reissued that as well.

But no such luck with PAT GARRETT and BILLY THE KID and THE CAREY TREATMENT. CAREY was cut worldwide, and the trims were tossed, so the extant version is sadly all that's left. But the trims on GARRETT survived, thanks to one of the editors. Roger Mayer gave them the green light to start reconstructing it. But MGM, irate at the huge box office returns from my reissue of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (yes, you read that right, and no, it doesn't make sense) fired me. With no one left to release the new version in theatres, it was sold to the Z Channel, whereupon Jerry Harvey promptly took credit for restoring it, a lie I've been beating back for decades with limited success.

And there you go.

Mike S.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
And don't forget about the ubilled tour-de-force appearance by Glenda Jackson, the actress who broke her leg requiring Polly Brown to go one in her place. Jackson hobbled into the theater on crutches to witness what she thought would be the understudy's ruin of the play...and ended up in tears, instead!!

A truly great actor.Saw her twice on stage. She was the only actor that I encountered who would invite you into her dressing room ,if you were waiting outside the stage door for a autograph.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you for the shout-out, Robert. It pleases me greatly that George Feltenstein refers to this as "The Schlesinger Cut."

I wish I had some fantastic anecdote, but the plain fact of the matter that I asked Dick May, then head of MGM's asset management, about putting it back together. He checked and found that it had only been cut for the North American release, and there was apparently a perfectly intact uncut negative labeled "International." I quickly ordered a print, screened it, realized it was indeed the full version, and the rest is history. I then looked into the other pictures butchered by Aubrey. Blake Edwards' WILD ROVERS was also left intact for the rest of the world and I reissued that as well.

But no such luck with PAT GARRETT and BILLY THE KID and THE CAREY TREATMENT. CAREY was cut worldwide, and the trims were tossed, so the extant version is sadly all that's left. But the trims on GARRETT survived, thanks to one of the editors. Roger Mayer gave them the green light to start reconstructing it. But MGM, irate at the huge box office returns from my reissue of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (yes, you read that right, and no, it doesn't make sense) fired me. With no one left to release the new version in theatres, it was sold to the Z Channel, whereupon Jerry Harvey promptly took credit for restoring it, a lie I've been beating back for decades with limited success.

And there you go.

Mike S.

Probably comes down to risk/reward.

With Manchurian, I presume you created a release predicated basically upon P & A, with zero production cost, and ended up with a higher profit ratio than new theatrical releases.

How dare you!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . . MGM, irate at the huge box office returns from my reissue of THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (yes, you read that right, and no, it doesn't make sense) fired me. . . .

One of these days, when you have nothing urgent to do, you'll have to come back and give us the full low-down on this little episode! :)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The film was released mono in the Colonies.

Warner Archive returned, however, to the original 4-track stereo full-coat, and created a new 5.1. Previously the tracks were heard in 2-track domestically.

Warner Archive pulled out all the stops, and went back to the foundation.
Always enjoyed the Julie Andrews vinyl; but this is one of those musicals on film that slipped by me.
Maybe it was those terrible theatrical cuts that were made; as its end results may have altogether played a part as to why this film was not a drawing card, when finally arriving at my local provincial theater.
Nonetheless, I was intrigued when I read RAH's initial review about "The Boy Friend" having its missing footage reinstated;
quite a bit of footage, in fact, as this can often change everything for the better.
But RAH's above Post locks it in for me;
and I am certain that "The Boy Friend" will not feel like a blind-buy, at all, as the films plays out before me.

What's not to love here, when knowing that "the original 4-track stereo full-coat" is alive and well and actually used?
And when I say "actually used", I'm referring to the 6-Tracks from "West Side Story" that were discovered and quizzically ignored or omitted when - whomever - haphazardly prepared that debacle of a BD, which still remains the only BD offering we have. Other studios who are currently preparing BD transfers of their important catalogue titles would be foolish not to be taking their cues from WAC, at this point on. WAC's work and output remains the consistent standard-bearer.

Without reservations, I'm all in for supporting WAC on this "Blind-Buy", especially when such care and work has been fully applied.
I don't know if this is technically what Mr. Harris would refer to as a true restoration;
but every single attribute of "The Boy Friend" described thus far sure does make it sound as if we've got its nearest possible equivalent.
Looking forward to this one.:popcorn:

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have heard the discovered 6-Track from WSS in Bradford which was presented in DTS SV on the Cinerama screen and it sounded
excellent.

Reactions: PMF

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Hi Mr Harris,
It has to do with Chace Audio there is an article in 70mm.com.
Thanks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Hi Mr Harris,
It has to do with Chace Audio there is an article in 70mm.com.
Thanks.

Ah. The tracks were always available. No one searched for them.

A number of years ago, I worked with a collector to allow his 70mm print to be used as a 6-track source. It was at that time, that a search was finally made. I believe the full-coat was in the Todd vault.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

And there you go.

Mike S.
How on earth did I miss this Post? Just saw it today. Fascinating stuff. Thanks for logging in Mr. cadavra. I am very excited about this BD. Thanks for getting the ball rolling with Dick May.:thumbs-up-smiley:

P.S. The Jerry Harvey anecdote speaks volumes to me. People who take credit for the work of others do not have their own industry.

Last edited:

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Saw this when it came out, and had a ball. One shot in particular I recall is that as a dancer, I think Glenda Jackson (?) does a move, we get a smash cut to a close up of her feet hitting the boards and little clouds of dust coming up (and a big boom on the soundtrack). I thought nothing could better express the sheer physicality and effort which dancers put into making things look weightless and effortless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks