What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm a huge Val Lewton fan.

There's never been anyone quite like him for intelligent, atmospheric horror.

Scream Factory's new Blu-ray of Robert Wise's (his second film in the series, after The Curse of the Cat People) 1945 The Body Snatcher, has everything going for it.

Boris Karloff

Bela Lugosi

Henry Daniell

And one very important addition.

From time immemorial - that's way before the Bible, or wine...

This is a film that's always been derived from fourth generation material on home video.

For their new release, Scream has worked with WB, to access the original camera negative, and the final result is a revelation.

Resolution, blacks, grays, shadow detail, grain structure - can't be improved.

An absolute must for any serious collection.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - absolutely

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I recall Mr. Harris saying a couple of years ago that we shouldn't be worried about the fate of the Lewton's on Blu-ray, as they were "in good hands." Obviously, he was correct. I revere this film. The two sequences between Karloff and Daniell in the pub are among those I consider to be truly great among all horror films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait! The original negative! Now if they'll do the same with my favorite: THE SEVENTH VICTIM and also THE LEOPARD MAN.
The ranking always varies but my top three favorite Lewtons are Cat People, The Leopard Man and The Seventh Victim. The sequence in The Leopard Man where the girl has go underneath the train overpass is still very effective even after 75 years.

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
Robert Wise was so terrific. He has directed my favorite musical (WEST SIDE STORY) and my favorite horror film (THE HAUNTING--1963). Obviously BODY was a good precursor to HAUNTING and contained all the requisite elements of terror. He was a master filmmaker and even with 2 Oscars, a bit underrated. Spielberg will have to pull off a miracle to improve on Wise's WEST SIDE STORY.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Wise was so terrific. He has directed my favorite musical (WEST SIDE STORY) and my favorite horror film (THE HAUNTING--1963). Obviously BODY was a good precursor to HAUNTING and contained all the requisite elements of terror. He was a master filmmaker and even with 2 Oscars, a bit underrated. Spielberg will have to pull off a miracle to improve on Wise's WEST SIDE STORY.

Don't know why he would even try. If he is doing it as a musical, it would probably be so that he could tuck another genre under his belt (he hasn't made a straight western yet, either, has he?). But if that is the case, why not try for an original musical a la LA LA LAND?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Don't know why he would even try. If he is doing it as a musical, it would probably be so that he could tuck another genre under his belt (he hasn't made a straight western yet, either, has he?). But if that is the case, why not try for an original musical a la LA LA LAND?

One of the primary motivations of remaking West Side Story is to cast actual Hispanic actors.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I hope all the Val Lewton's get the kind of restoration we see on "The Body Snatcher",
but it would be nice if "I Walked with a Zombie" is up next
(and very soon).

I'm thrilled with new disc from Shout Factory. It looks great.
I was afraid that "The Body Snatcher" would not measure up to their "Curse of the Cat People" release (as that film looked pretty good on DVD where the Karloff/Lugosi film had looked weak).

I hope the upcoming (and older) Universal Pictures Karloff & Lugosi pairings (from Shout Blu-ray) will receive the same kind of love as we have with this newly released RKO filmed classic.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Scream Factory is releasing The Leopard Man on July 16.

From their Facebook page:
**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

We have no jokes today on April Fool’s Day, but three legit announcements instead! First up: The Val Lewton classic THE LEOPARD MAN stalks it way to Blu-ray for the first time on July 16th.

Is it man, beast or both behind a string of savage maulings and murders? An escaped leopard provides the catalyst for a foray into fear in which a cemetery is the rendezvous for death and love, and a closed door heightens rather than hides the horror of a young girl's fate. The Leopard Man once again teams producer Val Lewton with director Jacques Tourneur (Cat People). This thriller stars Dennis O'Keefe (T-Men, Raw Deal), Margo (Lost Horizon) and Jean Brooks (The Seventh Victim).

Extras are in progress and will be announced on a later date.

Pre-order THE LEOPARD MAN now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-leopard-man…

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks