What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Black Swan -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

kpjwest

Auditioning
Real Name
Kim
How do the French and Spanish Blu Rays of The Black Swan compare with the long out of print Fox Blu Ray version? Are they authorized copies of the same master, or are they different transfers made legally in countries where the film is now public domain due to different copyright laws?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
How do the French and Spanish Blu Rays of The Black Swan compare with the long out of print Fox Blu Ray version? Are they authorized copies of the same master, or are they different transfers made legally in countries where the film is now public domain due to different copyright laws?
Don’t know where anyone would get another element from. We created that master at Lowry

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The French 2014 release is on the Sidonis label licensed from Fox, through Hollywood Classics Ltd. The Spanish release is a bootleg.

kpjwest

Auditioning
Real Name
Kim
Thank you. I ask in part because I recently bought the Spanish Blu Ray of Song of the South on Amazon. It doesn't have Japanese subtitles for the songs like the Japanese Laserdisc, and I would guess it was mastered from one of the Buena Vista release prints of the early 1970s, before it was, apparently, permanently banned by Disney. However, the copyright protection of Song of the South IN SPAIN apparently lapsed a year or two ago due to Spain's different copyright laws. I can't really recommend the print, but it is a lot better than nothing. It's qualities are more mixed versus the Japanese Laserdisc. There are a few frames in one scene where the 3 color images are badly out of alignment that look fine on the laserdisc. Color intensities often appear boosted on the Blu Ray to give a more "Technicolor" look, but it is inconsistent from shot to shot and not pleasant to look at. A similar blu ray of The Black Swan probably wouldn't be worth buying. I did note that one ebay listing for Black Swan says "Brand new, official studio-released Blu-Ray , imported from Spain" so that gave me some hope. But I ordered the French release.

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
(Isn't it about time we held a naming contest for the corollary to Godwin's Law...?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks